British Speedway Forum
4thbender

The government’s plan: after “the Great Reset,” Speedway will NEVER return

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

I used to go to Reading on a Monday. I went to Swindon on a Thursday. The crowds were big at one time. Youngsters went with no problem regarding school the next day.

Reading crowds dropped massively when they lost Per Jonsson and the stadium  became more and more delapidated. Then they dropped down a league which also affected crowds.

Swindon dropped down to Division Two in the nineties. Crowds visibly dropped. I, myself, stopped going for a while when the standard of what I was seeing at Swindon dropped to levels that weren't enjoyable.

Swindon crowds shot up when they became more successful and there were top riders there every week. They visibly dropped again when promoters weakened the product in the mid-2000s.

What will bring crowds in is giving people a product that they want to see. that is what would get me, personally, going. Low standard leagues with only unambitious riders in them are not the way to go. 

Die hard supporters may well be happy with a weak league, but you're not going to get people in with that. Dumbing down the standard is what killed the sport in this country, and it was done just as the sport looked to be staging a mini-revival.

Jason Doyle riding at Belle Vue may well not bring in an extra 200 these days, but Jason Doyle, and other top riders, NOT riding will take another 200 off the gate and then, before we know it, we are in crowds of 3 figures. 

If everything in the world was 'normal' and Swindon came to the NSS on the same week they came the year before, but this time without Jason Doyle, I can virtually guarantee hardly a change in the numbers in attendance such is the way so many tracks now have 'regulars only' most weeks, and the lack of 'pull' of any rider..

If there was any difference (max 50 to 100 either way I would say) it would be down to either inclement weather if a drop, or down to it being a nice spring or summer evening if an increase..

And that's the reality, a nice spring or summer evening can bring more "extra than normal" fans in than any rider appearing can..

Another reality is that The Aces had Matej Zagar for many years at both tracks but if he went and knocked on the doors of every house within a mile radius of the stadium, hardly anyone answering the doors would know who he was, or what he did. ..

Yet the Aces (and probably every other club), spent many years planning inconsistent fixture lists around the timetables of their No1 rider. And the Aces, again like others, used to visit tracks without their No1 and use guests instead, which did nothing but leave the competition they were competing for open to ridicule and the inevitable fall off in attendances...

Sheffield would no doubt have got a 'dead cat bounce' with Nicki P for a few weeks but slowly home crowd levels would drop back as the novelty wore off and settle (at best I would suggest), around 100 to 150 more than the previous season without him, and when they ventured away the second visit wouldn't have matched the first visit for crowd numbers...

A consistent fixture list, using weekends and all the Bank Holidays, and using riders who can commit to all dates, has to be the way forward, and if that means 'lesser riders' on show then so be it, but if it means more UK riders then so much the better..

Just provide a race format and team strengths, that have four riders of pretty equal ability in every heat and the racing will be close, regardless of the lack of 'GP' names in the programme...

• Like 4

On 12/23/2020 at 7:32 PM, 4thbender said:

A document produced by the UN’s Environment Programme entitled “Emissions Gap Report 2020” gives the game away: the entire Coronavirus pandemic has been a planned exercise to bring about dramatic and PERMANENT lifestyle changes in order to meet global emissions targets by 2030 (in accordance with the UN’s ‘Agenda 2030’). The pandemic has been an experimentation into the measures by which world governments can be coerced into introducing a seismic revolution in the global economic, social and cultural infrastructure – measures which will be implemented PERMANENTLY during and after the World Economic Forum’s “Great Reset” in 2021.

The Executive Summary of the UN’s “Emissions Gap Report” concludes with the following paragraph:

“COVID-19 has provided insight into how rapid lifestyle changes can be brought about by governments (who must create conditions that make lifestyle changes possible), civil society actors (who must encourage positive social norms and a sense of collective agency for lifestyle changes) and infrastructure (which must support behaviour changes). The lockdown period in many countries may be long enough to establish new, lasting routines if supported by longer term measures. In planning the recovery from COVID-19, governments have an opportunity to catalyse low-carbon lifestyle changes by disrupting entrenched practices.”

(Check it out HERE)

Experiments in the wearing of masks, social distancing, isolation and needless vaccination have all proven to be highly effective means of controlling and manipulating entire populations and will (in the post-reset days) become routine and mandatory. Along with this, the destruction of free enterprise, enforced mass-unemployment and the prohibition of mass gatherings will continue ad infinitum.   

You heard it here first.

Gee

I bet you’re fun at party’s 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crumpet82 said:

Party's are now illegal. :)

Not here they’re not 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, mikebv said:

If everything in the world was 'normal' and Swindon came to the NSS on the same week they came the year before, but this time without Jason Doyle, I can virtually guarantee hardly a change in the numbers in attendance such is the way so many tracks now have 'regulars only' most weeks, and the lack of 'pull' of any rider..

If there was any difference (max 50 to 100 either way I would say) it would be down to either inclement weather if a drop, or down to it being a nice spring or summer evening if an increase..

And that's the reality, a nice spring or summer evening can bring more "extra than normal" fans in than any rider appearing can..

Another reality is that The Aces had Matej Zagar for many years at both tracks but if he went and knocked on the doors of every house within a mile radius of the stadium, hardly anyone answering the doors would know who he was, or what he did. ..

Yet the Aces (and probably every other club), spent many years planning inconsistent fixture lists around the timetables of their No1 rider. And the Aces, again like others, used to visit tracks without their No1 and use guests instead, which did nothing but leave the competition they were competing for open to ridicule and the inevitable fall off in attendances...

Sheffield would no doubt have got a 'dead cat bounce' with Nicki P for a few weeks but slowly home crowd levels would drop back as the novelty wore off and settle (at best I would suggest), around 100 to 150 more than the previous season without him, and when they ventured away the second visit wouldn't have matched the first visit for crowd numbers...

A consistent fixture list, using weekends and all the Bank Holidays, and using riders who can commit to all dates, has to be the way forward, and if that means 'lesser riders' on show then so be it, but if it means more UK riders then so much the better..

Just provide a race format and team strengths, that have four riders of pretty equal ability in every heat and the racing will be close, regardless of the lack of 'GP' names in the programme...

I decided, against my better judgement, to go to two Leicester home matches during one of their recent seasons in the Elite (?) league. 

They were against Belle Vue and Wolves - both of them clubs with good reputations, and with supposed star no.1 riders in Matej Zagar and Freddie Lindgren. These were strong factors in me deciding to go. 

Against Belle Vue, we were treated to Mr Zagar throwing a hissie fit in that he made it obvious that he didn't want to be there, to the extent that he created unnecessary danger to other riders (and was possibly doing it in order to earn exclusion from the match).

Against Wolves, Lindgren mostly struggled around in 3rd or 4th, on machinery which looked to be not up to scratch. 

Those proved to be my only and last matches at Elite league level. Top quality is only top quality if it performs like it on the night.  There is nothing worse than underperformance in driving someone away.

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

I decided, against my better judgement, to go to two Leicester home matches during one of their recent seasons in the Elite (?) league. 

They were against Belle Vue and Wolves - both of them clubs with good reputations, and with supposed star no.1 riders in Matej Zagar and Freddie Lindgren. These were strong factors in me deciding to go. 

Against Belle Vue, we were treated to Mr Zagar throwing a hissie fit in that he made it obvious that he didn't want to be there, to the extent that he created unnecessary danger to other riders (and was possibly doing it in order to earn exclusion from the match).

Against Wolves, Lindgren mostly struggled around in 3rd or 4th, on machinery which looked to be not up to scratch. 

Those proved to be my only and last matches at Elite league level. Top quality is only top quality if it performs like it on the night.  There is nothing worse than underperformance in driving someone away.

I was there that night at Leicester..

Coincidentally it was one of the last league meetings (in the UK), that I went to...

Can't think why...:D

Watching him 'paddle with his feet' around the track whilst getting lapped was a particular "highlight" that night. .

Almost as enjoyable as the nigh on one hundred quid hole in my wallet after Petrol, Food, Drink and Admission for me and my lad..

Luckily, I have saved miles more by not attending since so he actually did me a favour. ..:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

One of my chums threw the towel in after an Eastbourne v Wolves match in 2013 when Lukas Dryml copped a busted collar bone in Ht1 and the understandable delay on a cold night was then further  time delayed by the tractor display being put on. We had tried every viewing spot to avoid the freezing cold wind to no avail. Sadly for CVS it wasn't just away travel that stopped. He's not been down Monmore Green since.