British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

British 'Dream Team' 2021

If You were the British Speedway national team manager, whom would You select to ride for the Lions in a Test match in 2021?

Six riders (three pairs) plus two reserves please !

Here is my personal select:

1 Tai Woffinden

2 Dan Bewley

3 Robert Lambert

4 Adam Ellis

5 Craig Cook

6 Steve Worrall

7 Danny King

8 Charles Wright 

can anyone better that , naa thought not .

11 hours ago, Bavarian said:

If You were the British Speedway national team manager, whom would You select to ride for the Lions in a Test match in 2021?

Six riders (three pairs) plus two reserves please !

Here is my personal select:

1 Tai Woffinden

2 Dan Bewley

3 Robert Lambert

4 Adam Ellis

5 Craig Cook

6 Steve Worrall

7 Danny King

8 Charles Wright 

That’s  about right, a mixture of youth and experience. Good call. 

Experience relates to the top 3 and the youth and future of British Speedway the bottom end. 

1. Tai Woffinden

2. Dan Bewley

3. Robert Lambert

4. Drew Kemp

5. Dan Gilkes

6. Jordan Palin

7. Dan Thompson

8. Joe Thompson 

You can only move forward with bringing in youngsters. 

Once upon a time a Manchester United fan told me and gosh did they move forward before backwards again with older players.

• Like 1

Woffinden 

Ellis

Cook

Bewley

Lambert

S Worrall

Reserve

Anders Rowe

Dan Gilkes

On 1/1/2021 at 8:53 PM, secsy1 said:

Experience relates to the top 3 and the youth and future of British Speedway the bottom end. 

1. Tai Woffinden

2. Dan Bewley

3. Robert Lambert

4. Drew Kemp

5. Dan Gilkes

6. Jordan Palin

7. Dan Thompson

8. Joe Thompson 

Once upon a time a Manchester United fan told me and gosh did they move forward before backwards again with older players.

With Manchester United though, that people fail to see with the class of 92 was that the spine of the team was very very experienced that our youth could learn from. 

Way to much inexperience in your 8 to progress the better youngsters 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:53 PM, secsy1 said:

1. Tai Woffinden

2. Dan Bewley

3. Robert Lambert

4. Drew Kemp

5. Dan Gilkes

6. Jordan Palin

7. Dan Thompson

8. Joe Thompson 

The problem with this team is the same problem as we get with the under-21 rule in the Speedway of Nations.

Riders who start off as raw juniors and start to progress beyond that, such as Steve Worrall and Adam Ellis (and Bewley in the SON), get no chance to improve on the progress they have made.

• Like 1

Last seasons end of year test against Denmark was the kind of thing team GB needs. Proper international tests both home and away where all 7 riders get rides 

• Like 5

On 1/3/2021 at 7:46 AM, Grachan said:

The problem with this team is the same problem as we get with the under-21 rule in the Speedway of Nations.

Riders who start off as raw juniors and start to progress beyond that, such as Steve Worrall and Adam Ellis (and Bewley in the SON), get no chance to improve on the progress they have made.

There are just not the international meetings between countries these days that there was in the 70/80’s.Can’t see that changing anytime soon.Most riders just want to ride in Poland these days for the money and you can’t really blame them,  considering the state of the sport in GB.Think you will find that if any of the youngsters coming through show some real talent at BL league level,they will be off abroad as soon as they can get a slot.Loyalty and Money don’t go together in Speedway.

• Like 2

The two Test matches between Australia and Great Britain that Woffy helped to organise last January in Perth were a great experience for the young British riders. And it was a great event for the local speedway folk of Western Australia, too. Please let us have more of this. The British team should get much more opportunities for competitive action each year.

As much as I want the young guns to progress there is no place for them in a team that I need to win Bavarian has picked possibly our best 8 based on known records. For me the inclussion of Kemp, Brennon, Gilkes or the Thompsons is just letting the kids have a go. They have to earn their place & we need to build into them that we have to win. I'm sure some will improve & earn their turn but for now they need to continue their path by taking on open meetings in Europe & meeting better riders there.

• Thanks 1

It shows how poor a standard the country has slipped to when you have riders like Ellis as heat leaders. 

What a sorry state the sport is in. Its on its death bed for sure , in the UK at least.

38 minutes ago, Pinny said:

It shows how poor a standard the country has slipped to when you have riders like Ellis as heat leaders. 

What a sorry state the sport is in. Its on its death bed for sure , in the UK at least.

No need to be so negative here @Pinny

Adam Ellis is not selected as a heat leader, but as a second string. He is a promising up and coming rider, who deserves to be in the team, but not in a heat leader role.

The heat leaders in my select are Woffinden, Lambert, and Craig Cook - all three riders with SGP experience.

I'd love to see this Great Britain (England) team in action - just give them a chance to prove themselves.

For a start, a three (or even five) match test series with the Aussies should be run this season. I''m sure the fans would want to support this, gettin' the opportunity to see Woffy and Lambert riding in the UK. Maybe even TV would be interested to cover this.        

The title of the thread is ‘Dream Team’ which implies the strongest possible team right now and on that basis the team in the first post is spot on. 

12 hours ago, Bavarian said:

No need to be so negative here @Pinny

Adam Ellis is not selected as a heat leader, but as a second string. He is a promising up and coming rider, who deserves to be in the team, but not in a heat leader role.

The heat leaders in my select are Woffinden, Lambert, and Craig Cook - all three riders with SGP experience.

I'd love to see this Great Britain (England) team in action - just give them a chance to prove themselves.

For a start, a three (or even five) match test series with the Aussies should be run this season. I''m sure the fans would want to support this, gettin' the opportunity to see Woffy and Lambert riding in the UK. Maybe even TV would be interested to cover this.        

Seems I replied to the wrong thread , was meant to reply to the one with the list of British riders with someone with an idea for a league structure. My bad.