British Speedway Forum
Falcon1983

Temporary Plan for 2021?

If rider numbers are an issue, rather than fiddling with league structures and limiting teams, the only sensible option in my opinion would have to be 6 man teams. Double up/down should still be an option, but limited to one or two per team at most (or injury cover). 

Surely the powers to be should looking to start at beginning of April after the current restrictions are due to end, with some kind of small tournament for April. Leagues to start in May. If restrictions drag on past the start of April, then scrap the 'small tournament' - although that should be a last resort as riders will be in dire need of track time to get back up to speed.

And they should be lobbying our parliament representative NOW so that speedway can hit the ground as soon as is possibly allowed. Crowd numbers in stadia are unlikely to be an issue going on last Octobers guidelines

6 hours ago, kelvinht said:

If rider numbers are an issue, rather than fiddling with league structures and limiting teams, the only sensible option in my opinion would have to be 6 man teams. Double up/down should still be an option, but limited to one or two per team at most (or injury cover). 

Surely the powers to be should looking to start at beginning of April after the current restrictions are due to end, with some kind of small tournament for April. Leagues to start in May. If restrictions drag on past the start of April, then scrap the 'small tournament' - although that should be a last resort as riders will be in dire need of track time to get back up to speed.

And they should be lobbying our parliament representative NOW so that speedway can hit the ground as soon as is possibly allowed. Crowd numbers in stadia are unlikely to be an issue going on last Octobers guidelines

Fair points but what if a lot of the Aussies and Europeans can't do the 2021 season so you're only left with predominantly British riders 

Do we allow every rider to triple up/down so that the premier, championship and national league run a league because if it gets to that stage there are only going to be enough riders for 8 or 9 clubs to run 7 man teams

Even with 6 man teams it's not much better unless you then look at 4 or 5 rider teams

10 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Fair points but what if a lot of the Aussies and Europeans can't do the 2021 season so you're only left with predominantly British riders 

Do we allow every rider to triple up/down so that the premier, championship and national league run a league because if it gets to that stage there are only going to be enough riders for 8 or 9 clubs to run 7 man teams

Even with 6 man teams it's not much better unless you then look at 4 or 5 rider teams

Make your mind up Falcon. Earlier in this thread you were complaining there were too many teams now your moaning there won’t be enough teams ?

Your wasting your time anyway as now Swindon have withdrawn and Poole looking to follow suit , it’s only a matter of time before the plug gets pulled on the whole league season.

2 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Make your mind up Falcon. Earlier in this thread you were complaining there were too many teams now your moaning there won’t be enough teams ?

Your wasting your time anyway as now Swindon have withdrawn and Poole looking to follow suit , it’s only a matter of time before the plug gets pulled on the whole league season.

Why are Poole looking to follow suit?  There may yet be an attempt to entice them back into the Premiership?? Who knows

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

I stand by what I have already said and that there are too many clubs for the sport to thrive of any sort in the UK

I am not moaning saying that now their won't be enough teams, someone else said that all clubs could run if riders were allowed to double up/down   but I am asking a question, if most of the aussie riders and euroepans can't compete in the UK in 2021 there will be be enough riders to fill every single club - so it goes back to my original post of having some form of  British League racing with limited teams i.e. those who can run a 1-7

Just because Swindon and potentially Poole might follow suit, it doesn't mean the end to a 2021 season

On 1/8/2021 at 6:18 PM, sugarray said:

Can't see Stadia Uk opening Poole Stadium for 7 meetings

might not open it at all . has stadia uk got any other plans for use of the stadium yet ?. i presume it is still only the car park money which keeps it open now ?

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, ray c said:

might not open it at all . has stadia uk got any other plans for use of the stadium yet ?. i presume it is still only the car park money which keeps it open now ?

If you mean non-sporting use, they can have all the plans they like but, unfortunately for them, they don't own it.

Edited by Sotonian

1 hour ago, Sotonian said:

If you mean non-sporting use, they can have all the plans they like but, unfortunately for them, they don't own it.

it is there business .they must have some idea of where there going otherwise they would have handed the keys back by now. nearly a year now  there have been any activity down the stadium 

13 hours ago, ray c said:

it is there business .they must have some idea of where there going otherwise they would have handed the keys back by now. nearly a year now  there have been any activity down the stadium 

Well at least Danny Ford has announced today that it is still Poole's intention to be part of the 'Championship mix' whatever the format is!!

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Well at least Danny Ford has announced today that it is still Poole's intention to be part of the 'Championship mix' whatever the format is!!

yes i saw that which is good

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The 'Championship mix'?

Will that be four double uppers/downers from the 'top league' and two double uppers from the NL, per team, I wonder...?

With the 'top league' running pretty much the same, but replacing the NL riders with two riders who don't DU but ride overseas as well? 

That would keep the demarcation between the leagues that the 'top league' seem to desperately want....

Although no idea why this is given for the past several years a great many riders in every top league team ride outside the top league for lower league teams over here too...

Not much difference in ability level when it's the same rider....:D

Edited by mikebv

23 hours ago, mikebv said:

The 'Championship mix'?

Will that be four double uppers/downers from the 'top league' and two double uppers from the NL, per team, I wonder...?

With the 'top league' running pretty much the same, but replacing the NL riders with two riders who don't DU but ride overseas as well? 

That would keep the demarcation between the leagues that the 'top league' seem to desperately want....

Although no idea why this is given for the past several years a great many riders in every top league team ride outside the top league for lower league teams over here too...

Not much difference in ability level when it's the same rider....:D

Honestly

I think there could be as many as 5 double up/down riders per team between the leagues with possibly a couple of foreigners who don't/wont (if they can be attracted at all); (or maybe one or two like Dan Bewley who may have a Polish team but will possibly still ride in the Premiership only) the only way they can differentiate between the leagues is let the 6 in the top league build their teams to 48.5 points (or more if they can find the riders) and allow the championship to build to 38.5 points as its the only way I can see to put some distance between the leagues. The National League can build to 28.5 points.

With 6 top league teams and 12 teams (if Plymouth come up) in the championship leaving Mildenhall and the IOW as stand alone teams in the National League with others clubs 2nd or junior 7's it isn't boding well; as posted on another thread you need 126 riders to fill the slots in the top two leagues so that's 42 for the Premiership and 84 for the Championship and if 30 of those riding in the top league double up/down that still leaves 54 riders required for the Championship and the question is do we have that number of riders available?

Its not looking good is it?

Regards
THJ

Swindon and now Somerset have dropped out of any future planning so maybe Falcons theory is a ‘last resort’ scenario. Almost 60 riders listed requiring nearly 9 tracks needed to at least get a speedway season in what would be a one-off season.The alternative of no speedway will be disastrous for riders and the sport in the U.K.

Go back to 1958 I think there were less tracks operating and people said then that speedway as a major sport was finished. 

28 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I think there could be as many as 5 double up/down riders per team between the leagues with possibly a couple of foreigners who don't/wont (if they can be attracted at all); (or maybe one or two like Dan Bewley who may have a Polish team but will possibly still ride in the Premiership only) the only way they can differentiate between the leagues is let the 6 in the top league build their teams to 48.5 points (or more if they can find the riders) and allow the championship to build to 38.5 points as its the only way I can see to put some distance between the leagues. The National League can build to 28.5 points.

With 6 top league teams and 12 teams (if Plymouth come up) in the championship leaving Mildenhall and the IOW as stand alone teams in the National League with others clubs 2nd or junior 7's it isn't boding well; as posted on another thread you need 126 riders to fill the slots in the top two leagues so that's 42 for the Premiership and 84 for the Championship and if 30 of those riding in the top league double up/down that still leaves 54 riders required for the Championship and the question is do we have that number of riders available?

Its not looking good is it?

Regards
THJ

Not looking great, however...

Some innovative, radical thoughts around meeting formats, team numbers, and how best to provide the UK lads with lots of racing to maximise earnings, and get lots of track time with which to improve, could still mean the season goes ahead...

Promoters will be given a 'free pass' if their plan involves running on 'the best nights to get a crowd', and setting a 'reasonable' entrance fee to reflect what could be a heavily watered down product from the last few years'....

'Any Speedway' will be seen as better than no Speedway by many, and supported by them too...

The irony is that Speedway has always been a 'bit' contrived in the UK, so we as fans are used to 'making it up as you go along' regulations. Therefore, we will all be well used to any sort of 'happenings' as the season progresses and will, in the main I am sure, give it plenty of acceptance...

Remember that this is a sport in the UK that as recent as 2018 decided that their flagship meeting could include two Swindon riders in a Final that involved Poole and Kings Lynn. And initially decided that they could 'swap sides' at 'half time' and both represent both teams!!!  :D

Not even a Covid impacted season, that sees lots of contrived rules to ensure it gets completed, could top that surely?

But if it did, we as fans would accept it this following year I am sure..

Edited by mikebv

Well I looked at your starting list and have pulled the following off the net and I have removed the ones I know for sure who aren't riding in the UK this year and there will be a few more who wont be riding on the here that others know for sure who will not be available and maybe one or two more who will be but I think we will struggle...

The pot is still half full but I think someone might have had a Pee in it when no one was looking...

All were used in the last full season (2019)

1   Aaron Summers 26   Danyon Hume 51   Joe Thompson 76   Matt Marson 101   Sam Jensen
2   Adam Ellis 27   David Bellego 52   Joel Andersson 77   Matthew Wethers 102   Sam Masters
3   Alex Spooner 28   David Wallinger 53   Jordan Jenkins 78   Max Clegg 103   Scott Campos
4   Alfie Bowtell 29   Dawid Lampart 54   Jordan Palin 79   Michael Palm Toft 104   Scott Nicholls
5   Anders Rowe 30   Dimitri Berge 55   Jordan Stewart 80   Mikkel B Andersen 105   Simon Lambert
6   Ashley Morris 31   Drew Kemp 56   Josh Auty 81   Nathan Greaves 106   Stefan Nielsen
7   Ben Barker 32   Edward Kennett 57   Josh Bailey 82   Nathan Stoneman 107   Steve Worrall
8   Ben Morley 33   Ellis Perks 58   Josh Bates 83   Nick Agertoft 108   Tero Aarnio
9   Bradley Wilson-Dean 34   Erik Riss 59   Josh Grajczonek 84   Nick Morris 109   Thomas Jorgensen
10   Brady Kurtz 35   Fernando Garcia 60   Josh MacDonald 85   Nicklas Porsing 110   Tobias Thomsen
11   Broc Nicol 36   Georgie Wood 61   Josh Pickering 86   Nicolai Klindt 111   Tobiasz Musielak
12   Cameron Heeps 37   Hans Andersen 62   Justin Sedgmen 87   Niels-Kristian Iversen 112   Todd Kurtz
13   Charles Wright 38   Henry Atkins 63   Jye Etheridge 88   Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen 113   Tom Bacon
14   Chris Harris 39   Jack Holder 64   Kasper Andersen 89   Paco Castagna 114   Tom Brennan
15   Claus Vissing 40   Jack Smith 65   Kristian Pieszczek 90   Paul Starke 115   Tom Perry
16   Connor Bailey 41   Jack Thomas 66   Kye Thomson 91   Rasmus Jensen 116   Tom Woolley
17   Connor Coles 42   Jacob Bukhave 67   Kyle Bickley 92   Richard Andrew 117   Troy Batchelor
18   Connor Mountain 43   Jacob Thorssell 68   Kyle Howarth 93   Richard Lawson 118   Ty Proctor
19   Craig Cook 44   Jake Allen 69   Kyle Newman 94   Richard Lawson 119   Ulrich Ostergaard
20   Dan Bewley 45   James Sarjeant 70   Leon Flint 95   Richie Worrall 120   Valentin Grobauer
21   Dan Gilkes 46   James Shanes 71   Lewis Kerr 96   Ricky Wells 121   Victor Palovaara
22   Dan Thompson 47   James Wright 72   Luke Becker 97   Rob Ledwith 122   William Lawson
23   Daniel Gappmaier 48   Jason Edwards 73   Luke Chessell 98   Rory Schlein 123   Zach Wajtknecht
24   Danny King 49   Jed List 74   Luke Harris 99   Ryan Douglas 124   Zaine Kennedy
25   Danny Phillips 50   Joe Lawlor 75   Luke Ruddick 100   Ryan Kinsley 125    

So let the scratching begin and lets see what we are left with as like I have said there will be loads of these on here who will not be back any time soon... and the bottom line is we require at least 96(ish) riders as a minimum...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn