British Speedway Forum

38 minutes ago, Normski said:

Newcastle have completed their 1 - 7 so 6 man teams mustn't be happening

Think ya right Norm unless something radical comes out of this meeting today...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

Copied and pasted off Facebook Newcastle Speedway Page:

As the British Speedway concluded its meeting today, Newcastle Speedway have confirmed they have completed their 2021 1 to 7 line up, which will be released in the near future....

BSP Ltd statement:

BRITISH Speedway clubs have today agreed a start date of early May for the 2021 season.

Fixtures will be published next week for both the Premiership and Championship.

Plans are in place for a new concept in both leagues with more details to follow. The plans have been made to adapt to the current situation regarding Polish restrictions on the amount of leagues riders can race in, plus the ongoing challenges presented by the pandemic.

There is a clear pathway for the development of British Speedway and young British riders, not just in 2021 but in the years ahead.

In addition, whilst there is disappointing news about losing Swindon and Somerset for 2021, these decisions have been made by these clubs to protect their futures from 2022 onwards. They will be welcomed back into the sport next year.

Another club has expressed an interest in joining the Championship and this will be explored in due course.

More details regarding the 2021 season will be revealed alongside our broadcast partners Eurosport in the coming days.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the reference to pathway for British youngsters will mean that the expected reserve pairing might have to change? Not a lot of youngster characteristics in Wright and Roynon??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, enotian said:

I wonder if the reference to pathway for British youngsters will mean that the expected reserve pairing might have to change? Not a lot of youngster characteristics in Wright and Roynon??

EDITED FOR ACCURACY NOW I HAVE COOLED DOWN AND SLEPT ON IT...

As I understand it from some of the guys I have spoken to with regards to Sponsorship for this year...  there has been a change it the original proposed team...

1. Claus Vissing
2. Adam Roynon
3. Matty Wethers
4. Max Clegg
5. Ben Barker
6. James Wright
7. Oops Top Secret new reserve...

To be officially confirmed by others...

Hopefully for a May start Covid vaccine roll out and Government restictions permitting...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy

Cheers THJ

Was looking forward to seeing Mountain. If only because of Jane"s Mountain Song. Nevermind hes certain to go back to Leicester.

I'll reserve, no pun intended, judgement until we see the list of 7s but I fear some will be far more experienced than Archie. Unless all teams have a brand new 2.00 reserve with no previous league experience?

Sounds like more crazy rules to curb success.

Hasnt this been tried before and binned? I think theres a better supply of young riders now but tbh I prefer there to be different ways of building a team.

At least this time we have a cracking prospect in Archie rather than a Hopwood, Greenwood etc. Just hope hes not up against the likes of Bickley etc who have way more experience.

• Like 3

Honestly

I am talking to the guys I will be sponsoring this year and to be fair all they want to do is get back on the track and race and it will have been a long 18 months since we last seen any racing but to be fair my business has been hard hit and (loose) money is becoming much tighter and the way things are panning out not only am I considerinfg pulling up the drawbridge on what I put in now but I am actually considering doing what many others have done and bailing out of the sport all together.... I have enjoyed my speedway since the late 60's but the way things are panning out I'm  not enjoying it anymore... even coming on here and taking the Mickey is losing it's appeal... we aren't Poland never have been and never will be and I think it could be time to  become an armchair fan and don me slippers and dressing gown sit in the warm and reminiss about the good old days which will save me a fortune...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I am talking to the guys I will be sponsoring this year and to be fair all they want to do is get back on the track and race and it will have been a long 18 months since we last seen any racing but to be fair my business has been hard hit and (loose) money is becoming much tighter and the way things are panning out not only am I considerinfg pulling up the drawbridge on what I put in now but I am actually considering doing what many others have done and bailing out of the sport all together.... I have enjoyed my speedway since the late 60's but the way things are panning out I'm  not enjoying it anymore... even coming on here and taking the Mickey is losing it's appeal... we aren't Poland never have been and never will be and I think it could be time to  become an armchair fan and don me slippers and dressing gown sit in the warm and reminiss about the good old days which will save me a fortune...

Regards 

THJ

Not a bad idea at your age stay in keep warm in ya rocking chair and count your cash !

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

EDITED FOR ACCURACY NOW I HAVE COOLED DOWN AND SLEPT ON IT...

As I understand it from some of the guys I have spoken to with regards to Sponsorship for this year...  there has been a change it the original proposed team...

1. Claus Vissing
2. Adam Roynon
3. Matty Wethers
4. Max Clegg
5. Ben Barker
6. James Wright
7. Oops Top Secret new reserve...

To be officially confirmed by others...

Hopefully for a May start Covid vaccine roll out and Government restictions permitting...

Regards 

THJ 

Is this 'top secret new reserve' the same top secret new reserve that was posted last night?

Hardly a top secret if that's the case... Gutted Connor has been dropped, hope he's lined up elsewhere :( Would have made more sense in the team than Roynon, no offence, I do really like him as a bloke and rider, but he can not ride Brough, especially if he's gonna be the number 2

Barker would be a welcome addition, entertainment

• Like 4

Barker ?

stand by for Police / bailiffs in the pits and hold on to your wallets.

Exciting on the track absolute crook off it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Is this 'top secret new reserve' the same top secret new reserve that was posted last night?

Hardly a top secret if that's the case... Gutted Connor has been dropped, hope he's lined up elsewhere :( Would have made more sense in the team than Roynon, no offence, I do really like him as a bloke and rider, but he can not ride Brough, especially if he's gonna be the number 2.

Agree with you there Dandelion, no disrespect but, maybe Adam will be a cheaper option?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Regards 

THJ

That would be a shame, but a did try n tell ye aboot this covid-carry-on, but ye wouldn't have it,,, just been talking to me mate in asda carpark and he reckons it could be the end of the walled!!! ;)

• Like 1

So reading the posts on hear I wonder how much ( since the return of THJ ! I think it was the 80th meeting ) how much he has spent on sponsorship etc ! Hope the vat man doesn't see this 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

So reading the posts on hear I wonder how much ( since the return of THJ ! I think it was the 80th meeting ) how much he has spent on sponsorship etc ! Hope the vat man doesn't see this 

Honestly 

All paid up here Biffa VAT, Tax, HMRC, BBC. ITV, Football Pools and Lottery Syndicates owe no one nothing....

Cheapest year ever last year as my corporate monies that paid for season tickets for 2020 was kindly rolled over to this year 2021 by the new Rob Grant Newcastle promotion.... and with no rider sponsorship I was quids in.... Oh except one little Bolo who got a Christmas treat last Christmas of a 56 sprocket wheel which I don't think he has used yet (have you)

Through personal sponsorship and company sponsorship I have now weighed over since 2008/9 in excess of £120k (So not quite 10k a year)  however I have not had one enquiry from a prospecrive client in all those years of Speedway sponsorship... it's been a bit of a fools errand really and they do say an idiot and his cash are easily separated however I would be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed it... especially being at Workington in their H18tory making season involved with some pretty fantastic people across the whole spectrum from management other supporters and sponsors the Worky fans the FOWS and of course the riders...

There have also been good times at Newcastle and I know I'm not the only sponsor whose never had an enquiry from sponsoring the team but I think we all do it for the love of the sport rather than out of any benefits that may come out of any association with the team... ask Alan Hedley who pumped a lot of his company and personal cash into the club for very little return or respect for all his efforts in running the club or Laura Morgan as another who was pationate about the sport only to find out the tough realities and what it means to run a speedway club...

Rob Grant and his team need all the help and support people can muster to make his tenure a success however I don't think the governing body are fully supporting and aiding him in his endeavours which means he will need as many fans through the doors as he can get...

My interest is sadly on the wane but when some one is having a pee down your leg and trying to tell you it's raining what are you supposed to do?

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

Barker ?

stand by for Police / bailiffs in the pits and hold on to your wallets.

Exciting on the track absolute crook off it.

That's all I'm bothered about, come to watch speedway, not get involved in their personal life, not my business to know or care about

56 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Agree with you there Dandelion, no disrespect but, maybe Adam will be a cheaper option?

Surely Connor wouldn't be bursting the bank though? And I'm sure Adam would have easily got hooked up somewhere else, Birmingham maybe? But I guess maybe it could have come down to averages? Adam is 0.61 less than Connor, what's the limit? And do the reserves count towards it?

10 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Surely Connor wouldn't be bursting the bank though? And I'm sure Adam would have easily got hooked up somewhere else, Birmingham maybe? But I guess maybe it could have come down to averages? Adam is 0.61 less than Connor, what's the limit? And do the reserves count towards it?

Yeah, ya quite possibly right,,, am not sure what team limts or rider averages will be,,, but am sure we'll all find out soon enough.

Edited by ruffdiamond