British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

I totally support the Rye House planning appeal but doesn't the interest in that as positive as it is; hide the possible destruction of the NDL by the BSPL.

At best it's been subjected to "sufferance"  for far too long.

Every now and again Jason Pipe pops up with positive statements, although I don't know what's positive about saying "we'll sort out the NDL when they've sorted out the PL and CL".

The 54 riders he has lined up won't wait forever to know if, when,where they can race in 2021 Covid or not!

Who is writing his script and pulling his strings? 

The NDL is vital to the future of UK Speedway should not be an afterthought!

What about 3 Clubs who are NDL only, very little coming out of IOW, Mildenhall; Plymouth , have they been told not to say anything or more likely just left in limbo?

There is more promotion of Speedway on the IOW than in the whole of the Management Committee those NDL Clubs are being treated very badly I think

I loved my NDL at Brummies, actually miss it and preferred it to CL 

Don;t let it die as it's so much the life-blood of the future of the Sport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The great frustration with the NDL is that the teams involved are all positive and numbers increasing with new sides like Edinburgh and Newcastle joining the ranks. The entertainment is often greater than the higher leagues and the sense of satisfaction likewise which is why the league is held in high regard and so dearly by so many. However it is a constant after thought from the management committee who seek to have total and dominant control of everything whilst actually just looking at the interests of their own clubs (much in the same way the MSDL has been destroyed to pave the way for a Prem Junior league that will never see any meaningful fruition but that's another topic).

Until an approach is employed where promotors can agree what is best for the league and the teams within it rather than being dished out regulations by those with no vested interest the league will struggle. Let the NDL run itself, pick its own rules and potentially there will at least be one successful league operating in the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

No-one in sane mind would even think about scrapping the NDL.

Which leads one to the question - Are those in charge sane? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Which leads one to the question - Are those in charge sane? 

Insane or stupid( take your pick) if they do.

3 hours ago, HGould said:

I totally support the Rye House planning appeal but doesn't the interest in that as positive as it is; hide the possible destruction of the NDL by the BSPL.

At best it's been subjected to "sufferance"  for far too long.

Every now and again Jason Pipe pops up with positive statements, although I don't know what's positive about saying "we'll sort out the NDL when they've sorted out the PL and CL".

The 54 riders he has lined up won't wait forever to know if, when,where they can race in 2021 Covid or not!

Who is writing his script and pulling his strings? 

The NDL is vital to the future of UK Speedway should not be an afterthought!

What about 3 Clubs who are NDL only, very little coming out of IOW, Mildenhall; Plymouth , have they been told not to say anything or more likely just left in limbo?

There is more promotion of Speedway on the IOW than in the whole of the Management Committee those NDL Clubs are being treated very badly I think

I loved my NDL at Brummies, actually miss it and preferred it to CL 

Don;t let it die as it's so much the life-blood of the future of the Sport.

You need to get your facts right.

The NL has been independently run for several years, they have their own meetings and don’t pay any fees to the BSP Ltd and get discount on their insurance and referees fees via the BSP Ltd.

So where’s the interference?

Jason Pipe is a volunteer, nothing more nothing less.

• Haha 1

Some of the best racing I've seen in years was when coventry had meetings against cradley and Kent in the ndl.

Edited by ONTWOMINUTES
  • Like 2

Used to be £10, in total, for me and my lad at the NSS to watch the Colts. .

If anyone was sat next to me who didn't know about Speedway, they truly wouldn't have questioned the standard..

Brilliant racing. Brilliant value for money. And Brilliant to see the genuine, clear, body language, (delighted or devestated) reactions of the riders as they crossed the line, dependent on their finishing position..

I have thought for a good few years now that the NDL model is the way forward for the sport to grow..

Use it as the 2nd Division, with an "Elite" 8 team, 6 per team, top league which uses their own riders. .

For many tracks,  if an NDL team was their 'only ticket in town' to watch Speedway, I would suggest crowds wouldn't be too different from their current levels, and with costs so very much cheaper,  it should mean potential admission cost reductions too..

"They" seem to get it right, so join them..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

You need to get your facts right.

The NL has been independently run for several years, they have their own meetings and don’t pay any fees to the BSP Ltd and get discount on their insurance and referees fees via the BSP Ltd.

So where’s the interference?

Jason Pipe is a volunteer, nothing more nothing less.

Nope, the NDL is not independent of the BSPL.

It may have its own co-ordinator but it still comes under the auspices of the BSPL which can (and has) dictate the rules

As it has done since the very start of the Academy League.

Whilst the National League does have to abide by the BSP Ltd decisions and regulations it does have its own, independent conferences and any decisions it makes have to be ratified by the BSP Ltd. Mr.Pipe answers to them also.

As the league is ‘ professional ‘ it has to abide by its governing bodies regulations.

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Whilst the National League does have to abide by the BSP Ltd decisions and regulations it does have its own, independent conferences and any decisions it makes have to be ratified by the BSP Ltd. Mr.Pipe answers to them also.

As the league is ‘ professional ‘ it has to abide by its governing bodies regulations.

If it has its own meetings , separate from the premiership and championship promoters then it runs itself . I do get it has to follow the Bspa rules but then it should, you don’t see the rules in football being different in the Conference division to the Premiership .

On 1/13/2021 at 7:18 PM, Ringitsneck said:

If it has its own meetings , separate from the premiership and championship promoters then it runs itself . I do get it has to follow the Bspa rules but then it should, you don’t see the rules in football being different in the Conference division to the Premiership .

But they are, Premier League allowed 3 subs from 9 on the bench, EL five subs from the bench, however this doesnt alter the fact that the BSPL like to put its spoke in the National League wheel, a wheel which it has little idea about how its run and tries to ride rougshod over whenever it doesnt like whats happening, such as not allowing so called ghost teams, a Ghost team will always attract a few more supporters than the Junior team of a senior team, those supporters simply will simply stay away.

As an example Wolverhampton rode in the Conference League watched by one man and his dog, they changed the name to Dudley Heathens and we all know what happened then.. If a promotion wants to ride its junior team under a historic name whats the harm it it ?, BSPL answers on a post card please.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

But they are, Premier League allowed 3 subs from 9 on the bench, EL five subs from the bench, however this doesnt alter the fact that the BSPL like to put its spoke in the National League wheel, a wheel which it has little idea about how its run and tries to ride rougshod over whenever it doesnt like whats happening, such as not allowing so called ghost teams, a Ghost team will always attract a few more supporters than the Junior team of a senior team, those supporters simply will simply stay away.

As an example Wolverhampton rode in the Conference League watched by one man and his dog, they changed the name to Dudley Heathens and we all know what happened then.. If a promotion wants to ride its junior team under a historic name whats the harm it it ?, BSPL answers on a post card please.

Simple answer. The BSPA does not like what they refer to as "Ghost Teams" unless it suits them of cause. There have been a few such teams using such names operating in the junior leagues over the last few years but prior to the 2020 season the powers that be banned them. I think Cradley not running was finally the excuse they needed to remove this thorn from their sides. I think it got to a case where some of the people (not all I may add) running the ghost teams were nothing more than a bunch of glory hunters using defunct names to play real life fantasy speedway. The BSPA gave them a criteria that they had to show concrete proof that they had acquired land to build a new track in the catchment areas of the said defunct clubs but the reality of that happening is like Donald Trump becoming the president of Greenpeace. 

Things can change though and if Rob Godfrey ever decided it may be good business to run a second team in the National League as either Halifax Dukes or Hull Vikings the ghost team rule would change overnight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

Simple answer. The BSPA does not like what they refer to as "Ghost Teams" unless it suits them of cause. There have been a few such teams using such names operating in the junior leagues over the last few years but prior to the 2020 season the powers that be banned them. I think Cradley not running was finally the excuse they needed to remove this thorn from their sides. I think it got to a case where some of the people (not all I may add) running the ghost teams were nothing more than a bunch of glory hunters using defunct names to play real life fantasy speedway. The BSPA gave them a criteria that they had to show concrete proof that they had acquired land to build a new track in the catchment areas of the said defunct clubs but the reality of that happening is like Donald Trump becoming the president of Greenpeace. 

Things can change though and if Rob Godfrey ever decided it may be good business to run a second team in the National League as either Halifax Dukes or Hull Vikings the ghost team rule would change overnight. 

Yes you give the criteria, i will just throw an hypothetical example, If Cradley said they wanted to ride at Monmore in the Premiership in 2021 what would the response from the BSPL be ?, Its totally hypothetical as it wont happen.. but i think most of us know what would happen to the Ghost team situation, it would turn into "its for the good of the sport" or some other reason to allow it..

• Like 3