British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

1 hour ago, edmon said:

Always has been since my involvement in Linlithgow. We did look to organise ourselves but we had Peter Morrish appointed to look after the league. Also a number of our ideas which we thought would make it cheaper for riders were knocked back by the BSPA Chairman at the time.

No suprise there then. Linlithgow was a great little set up, i went there twice. Fond memories.

17 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Or in other words.....be patient.

ah yes from the person who stated the AGM had already been held. 

Interest from "several" Prem & Champs clubs to enter sides is encouraging (providing they actually know and care about running a 2nd team). As ever with the shockingly late NDL meetings there is limited time to prepare or complete team building before the "May start date" if the rules & entrants are even decided at the first meeting. One of the few good things about British speedway is the National League and if it is spoilt by those in higher tiers wanting it run their way such as 4 man teams run as second halves and double headers for the standalone clubs then a lot of what is good in the sport will be lost forever.

Does this mean that the Premier League have given up on their reserve league?

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Interest from "several" Prem & Champs clubs to enter sides is encouraging (providing they actually know and care about running a 2nd team). As ever with the shockingly late NDL meetings there is limited time to prepare or complete team building before the "May start date" if the rules & entrants are even decided at the first meeting. One of the few good things about British speedway is the National League and if it is spoilt by those in higher tiers wanting it run their way such as 4 man teams run as second halves and double headers for the standalone clubs then a lot of what is good in the sport will be lost forever.

Eastbourne have expressed an in interest in running an NDL team

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Does this mean that the Premier League have given up on their reserve league?

They couldn't possibly have done that could they? After crushing all the nomad sides and forcing good honest people out of the sport.

2 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Eastbourne have expressed an in interest in running an NDL team

Would make good sense. Still have some loyal NDL fans, would offer extra local derbies against Kent in two divisions and a great chance to keep developing riders ready for the next 5 years (cough cough) of rising star program.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

If a ‘ meeting ‘ didn’t take place ( even if some individuals did not take part ) how do you think these decisions have been made ? Answer - because discussions have taken place. But whatever...

As they are now struggling to fill teams in the championship this is bound to effect the make up of any NL division. Tonight’s news on travel restrictions is not going to make that any easier. Let’s hope the format of the NL doesn’t alter . Whilst there’s lots of talk I don’t expect to see more than one or two additions. I do hope to see a northern based side to give the youngsters up here something to aim for so let’s hope it comes off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

They couldn't possibly have done that could they? After crushing all the nomad sides and forcing good honest people out of the sport.

Would make good sense. Still have some loyal NDL fans, would offer extra local derbies against Kent in two divisions and a great chance to keep developing riders ready for the next 5 years (cough cough) of rising star program.

Eastbourne are encouraging local youngsters,  where they can.  Makes sense for all sorts of reasons. Wise to express an interest and see what evolves 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

If a ‘ meeting ‘ didn’t take place ( even if some individuals did not take part ) how do you think these decisions have been made ? Answer - because discussions have taken place. But whatever...

As they are now struggling to fill teams in the championship this is bound to effect the make up of any NL division. Tonight’s news on travel restrictions is not going to make that any easier. Let’s hope the format of the NL doesn’t alter . Whilst there’s lots of talk I don’t expect to see more than one or two additions. I do hope to see a northern based side to give the youngsters up here something to aim for so let’s hope it comes off.

I can't argue that another Northern side would assist the league and the teams involved, always good to have little local rivalry. Buxton, Sheffield, Scunthorpe and Kings Lynn would all be useful additions to the league and provide some derbies for closer rivals.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I can't argue that another Northern side would assist the league and the teams involved, always good to have little local rivalry. Buxton, Sheffield, Scunthorpe and Kings Lynn would all be useful additions to the league and provide some derbies for closer rivals.

Would think only Scunthorpe of those would look to run a side in any proposed division but I do wonder where all these riders are supposed to be coming from. If all the sides run plus 2 or 3 new teams then that’s another 21 riders to find who can actually race a bike not just ride one.

11 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Would think only Scunthorpe of those would look to run a side in any proposed division but I do wonder where all these riders are supposed to be coming from. If all the sides run plus 2 or 3 new teams then that’s another 21 riders to find who can actually race a bike not just ride one.

I agree its a stretch but there are just about that many riders knocking about. I would say 10is riders who competed in the development leagues are on the cusp of being able to step up a level and are competent enough to do so in ability and safety, there are probably the same number of riders who didn't get team places for various reasons. That said it will leave injury cover very light and if there is no cap at the top end the disparity between riders could be quite large. The league has had 10/11 teams before and currently the SGB website lists only 6. 

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I agree its a stretch but there are just about that many riders knocking about. I would say 10is riders who competed in the development leagues are on the cusp of being able to step up a level and are competent enough to do so in ability and safety, there are probably the same number of riders who didn't get team places for various reasons. That said it will leave injury cover very light and if there is no cap at the top end the disparity between riders could be quite large. The league has had 10/11 teams before and currently the SGB website lists only 6. 

Six teams might be about right.
The NL will lose around 10 riders to the ‘ rising star ‘ scheme then add a few who will have given up ,especially having not ridden in 2020 so there’s a wants list already never mind finding 21 additional riders. Most amateur riders are no where near ready to commit to league racing either through employment, lack of suitable equipment or funds. If we are to believe that expressions of interest from all these other clubs will result in several new teams then there’s going to be an issue. So unless the NL drops to almost an amateur standard then theres going to be a shortage . So 6 to 8 teams is about the maximum the NL can hope for and that will be at a much lower standard .

2 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Six teams might be about right.
The NL will lose around 10 riders to the ‘ rising star ‘ scheme then add a few who will have given up ,especially having not ridden in 2020 so there’s a wants list already never mind finding 21 additional riders. Most amateur riders are no where near ready to commit to league racing either through employment, lack of suitable equipment or funds. If we are to believe that expressions of interest from all these other clubs will result in several new teams then there’s going to be an issue. So unless the NL drops to almost an amateur standard then theres going to be a shortage . So 6 to 8 teams is about the maximum the NL can hope for and that will be at a much lower standard .

As a matter of interest who out of all the amateur riders is the lowest level you would go to. For me the likes of dean Douglas and Danny smith would be adequate reserves any rider currently not beating them frequently shouldn't be considered. This is no slight on these two who are both steadily improving 

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

As a matter of interest who out of all the amateur riders is the lowest level you would go to. For me the likes of dean Douglas and Danny smith would be adequate reserves any rider currently not beating them frequently shouldn't be considered. This is no slight on these two who are both steadily improving 

I don’t think Dean is quite ready yet as his style is somewhat limited and he falls off too much but certainly Danny is definitely ready for NL. The few meetings I saw at Redcar in 2020 had a few who, even in the support class, could ride in a lower standard NL. There was the likes of Watson , Rothbury, Muff, even youngsters Goldsbrough, Lyden, the two ladies Gordon and Hellowell can control a bike well enough to be competitive.There are a few other Scottish based lads who didn’t appear in 2020 who rode in the NJL that would also be of the right standard. They do have to be able to race rather than just ride around the track ( wobblers ). There was one or two ‘ old uns ‘ that might be interested  if it wasn’t too competitive and you only needed one bike, the likes of Turner, Mudgway , Blair and possibly Parr who could fill in if required. Just depends where they want the standard or even age ( I hate the age thing as some lads don’t take it up till later on in life ) . There used to be a good crop attend Scunthorpe meetings but they thinned out when they started doing 75 plus heats in a day without any track grading plus riding once each month didn’t really bring them on enough. A lower standard NL would offer them that opportunity if it was run right.