British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

The 'Berwick Bullets'

To be lead by leon flint and Kyle Bickley

I also imagine harry mcgurk, Greg Blair and mason watson will be in the team... and sam mcgurk? If hes old enough yet... will luke ruddick for as the final signing then?

1. Leon flint

2. Mason watson

3. Luke ruddick

4. Greg blair

5. Kyle bickley

6. Harry mcgurk

7. Sam mcgurk

Edited by Dandelion

Club Statement: ‘Wightlink’ Warriors Withdraw from the National League and the British Speedway Promoters Limited (BSPL)

It is with much regret that Isle of Wight speedway promoters, Barry Bishop and Martin Widman, have made the unpalatable and heart-breaking decision to withdraw its Associate Membership of the BSPL and as a result the ‘Wightlink’ Warriors and Wizards will not be participating in the National League or Midland & Southern Development League this year.

The decision wasn’t an easy one to make but after much correspondence, it became clear that the new rules being imposed by the BSPL Board of Directors on to the National League were not right for the ‘Wightlink’ Warriors in 2021.

It is terrible news for everyone associated with the club and for those at Smallbrook Stadium. So many volunteers, sponsors, officials and riders have worked tirelessly together to ensure that speedway on the Isle of Wight became the multi-award winning fun family experience and a pleasure to visit.

Now the promoters need some time to focus their thoughts about the future and whilst the decision will mean no league speedway at Smallbrook for this year, it does not signal the end of motor cycling activities, initially starting with speedway training as soon as the current restrictions allow.

Finally, Martin and Barry want to thank you all for the tremendous support you have given the club since speedway returned to the Isle of Wight and they look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

award 5.jpg

• Sad 6

Congrats to IOW for sticking 2 fingers up to th BSPL bullies. Pushed arguably the best and most visionary promotion team out of the sport. I have no doubt that the Island team will bounce back better whilst the rest of the leagues continue to crumble. 

28 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

The 'Berwick Bullets'

I also imagine harry mcgurk, Greg Blair and mason watson will be in the team... and sam mcgurk? If hes old enough yet... will luke ruddick for as the final signing then?

1. Leon flint

2. Mason watson

3. Luke ruddick

4. Greg blair

5. Kyle bickley

6. Harry mcgurk

7. Sam mcgurk

Not a hope in hell of that team fitting 35 point limit.

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Congrats to IOW for sticking 2 fingers up to th BSPL bullies. Pushed arguably the best and most visionary promotion team out of the sport. I have no doubt that the Island team will bounce back better whilst the rest of the leagues continue to crumble. 

Maybe they can take note of how Mike Parker started the Provincial League in the early '60s and proved that it was possible to "promote" speedway. I may hate the memory of Parker for some of the things he did in Speedway and Stock Cars but he did have vision and he did promote.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

The 'Berwick Bullets'

1. Leon flint

2. Mason watson

3. Luke ruddick

4. Greg blair

5. Kyle bickley

6. Harry mcgurk

7. Sam mcgurk

That top 4 only just fit under the points limit by themselves!

23 minutes ago, barrybishop said:
Club Statement: ‘Wightlink’ Warriors Withdraw from the National League and the British Speedway Promoters Limited (BSPL)

It is with much regret that Isle of Wight speedway promoters, Barry Bishop and Martin Widman, have made the unpalatable and heart-breaking decision to withdraw its Associate Membership of the BSPL and as a result the ‘Wightlink’ Warriors and Wizards will not be participating in the National League or Midland & Southern Development League this year.

The decision wasn’t an easy one to make but after much correspondence, it became clear that the new rules being imposed by the BSPL Board of Directors on to the National League were not right for the ‘Wightlink’ Warriors in 2021.

It is terrible news for everyone associated with the club and for those at Smallbrook Stadium. So many volunteers, sponsors, officials and riders have worked tirelessly together to ensure that speedway on the Isle of Wight became the multi-award winning fun family experience and a pleasure to visit.

Now the promoters need some time to focus their thoughts about the future and whilst the decision will mean no league speedway at Smallbrook for this year, it does not signal the end of motor cycling activities, initially starting with speedway training as soon as the current restrictions allow.

Finally, Martin and Barry want to thank you all for the tremendous support you have given the club since speedway returned to the Isle of Wight and they look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

award 5.jpg

Such a shame. This sport should be for all but unfortunately some men have too much power 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

The 'Berwick Bullets'

1. Leon flint

2. Mason watson

3. Luke ruddick

4. Greg blair

5. Kyle bickley

6. Harry mcgurk

7. Sam mcgurk

they only have 17.5 pts for 5 riders as leon and kyle announced already 

I'm guessing that greg blair wont be an assessed 3.00er then?

Even if he was that team would be a touch over 36

What are these ‘new rules’ which have resulted in the IOW not running? 

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

The published ones being a cut in team building limit , no play offs and no cup comps. As a stand alone club facing potentially 6 home fixtures with a diluted product due to how teams are being built looks a harder sell. 

Throw in the removal of ghost teams its equally unlikely any MSDL will take place either . I can only appauld IOW for being the only ones brave enough to do the right thing.

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Don't know, and wonder if this causing Belle Vue delay too.

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The published ones being a cut in team building limit , no play offs and no cup comps. As a stand alone club facing potentially 6 home fixtures with a diluted product due to how teams are being built looks a harder sell. 

Throw in the removal of ghost teams its equally unlikely any MSDL will take place either . I can only appauld IOW for being the only ones brave enough to do the right thing.

I’m guessing you won’t be attending any Development League matches as you have such a downer on it now?

The NL outgrew itself, paying riders who should have moved up too much to encourage them to stay and stagnate, big fish in a  little pond.

Now the sport needs to develop its own and bring on the youth which is what the new points limit is intended to do. The racing will be fine just a few seconds slower and a few more fallers perhaps. They have to start somewhere changing the sport and they’ve started here. It’s a shame that I.O.W. have pulled out but that’s their decision.

1 hour ago, barrybishop said:

award 5.jpg

A shame...

Could they still run some 'open meetings'?

One thing that the team on the IOW seems to grasp is that if you need 'X' hundred per week to remain profitable, you don't necessarily need the same 'X' hundred per week...

And with such a transient population on a 'holiday island' promoting their 'product' to people who might only be there for seven days or so is vital...

Every promoter should promote every meeting like the IOW do, ie just like it is their last...

Because one day, for them all, it might be...

The IOW team seem to understand this better than the vast majority of all the rest I would suggest..

Best of Luck to everyone down there...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I’m guessing you won’t be attending any Development League matches as you have such a downer on it now?

The NL outgrew itself, paying riders who should have moved up too much to encourage them to stay and stagnate, big fish in a  little pond.

Now the sport needs to develop its own and bring on the youth which is what the new points limit is intended to do. The racing will be fine just a few seconds slower and a few more fallers perhaps. They have to start somewhere changing the sport and they’ve started here. It’s a shame that I.O.W. have pulled out but that’s their decision.

I will attend the well balanced meetings just like i have past few seasons but take no joy watching poorly matched sides and riders at any level. 

Im not against the points limit reduction but there should have been a cap on the top averages to help build more strength in depth sides. New 3 pointers vs clegg and flint will offer little in viewing.  It will just be about which of the newbies improves. 

Im again all for offering chances to riders and getting rid of dead wood but only riders who are good enough and not just for the sake ofi t as they are young and have a bike.