British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

55 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

BSPL aren't doing too well at "Promoting"  the sport.

Their record at losing speedway clubs once a canter is now turning into a " who's next to go ?  "  stampede. 

There will soon be more dormant speedway tracks in the UK than active ones.  

My My...that is already the case....by a country mile.......

So sorry that IOW are not racing this year.

I thought that this year was all about just getting the sport going again after last years no go.With later start and less fixtures,hopefully we can look forward to a much brighter 2022.

Then Swindon,Somerset and IOW are back...and some time in the future Lakeside,Bradford,Workington and more perhaps can emerge???

6 hours ago, East End Fan said:

My My...that is already the case....by a country mile.......

Dormant meaning not in use such as Oxford, Buxton, Swindon, Somerset, Coventry and now the IOW, not sure if there are any others lying idle at the moment ie Lakeside, by all accounts Rye House has gone or very close to being gone.

Forgive my ignorance but why would only have a few fixtures stop the IOW running? Could they not run the six league meetings during the school holidays to maximise crowds and run challenges or individuals for any extra dates? There must be more to it surely. 

• Like 2

IOW have withdrawn from the BSPL and therefore cannot run in the league. Roughly translated as we don't agree with the way you are running the NDL and want no part of your tyrannical rule. More will come out in the wash but IOW view speedway as a product across the leagues and not just about success for their own club/finances. 

Even purely based on this season they would face pulling apart the team they built whilst a lot of replacement options have been snapped up, paying the various licences and insurances for a much shorter and uncertain season, relying on being able to secure sponsorships from company's likely struggling due to the pandemic, the list of reasons for any team not to run is quite compelling but i still think the reasons are deeper and more long term.

• Like 1

The IOW are the most forward looking club at any level, that I can remember seeing for many a long year.

We're not privy to whatever the issues were to cause Messrs Bishop & Widman to withdraw from the BSPL, but whatever they were, the Board of Directors should have worked their socks off to ensure the club could continue to provide much needed entertainment for those that live on the Island, along with the holidaymakers.

The sport just can't afford to keep losing clubs like this, and I just hope that sense prevails, and they can be welcomed back in 2022, because speedway is dying on its feet, at a fast rate of knots.

Gutted for all you people across the Solent, along with all your sponsors.  

• Like 6

don’t forget also they are on a island and with covid maybe still around they might be thinking of the people there with people also coming from all over the country don’t know if the council would have any say in this 

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Forgive my ignorance but why would only have a few fixtures stop the IOW running? Could they not run the six league meetings during the school holidays to maximise crowds and run challenges or individuals for any extra dates? There must be more to it surely. 

Where payment of riders is concerned, each NL club picks up the tab for their riders home and away. So when Mildenhall ride at IOW, the Fen Tigers meet the wage bill for their team.

If you run a challenge or an individual, you pay all 12,14 or 16 riders. 

Aside from the fact that challenge matches are likely to attract lower attendances, they could increase the clubs costs.

i don't know the full reasons why they have withdrawn but the above might be one, and I know they were against any reduction in the points limit as it almost inevitably lowers the standard of the product at this level (something that is most important if you are a stand alone club but matters little if you are running all your NL meetings as double headers with a higher league match, as Newcastle apparently plan to).

If the clubs were simply told about the points limit without any form of  negotiation amongst members and the Warriors promotion believed that that would damage their business taking into account other factors - the lack of fixtures, likely difficulties with sponsors, the confidence of fans returning to stadiums following covid etc - its little wonder they withdrew. Why should they accept being dictated to without even the chance to discuss the situation by persons who don't even run an NL team ?  

Following the BSPL's approach to arguably the most innovative meeting held in Britain for some years - the 2019 NICE challenge - the chances of them going out of their way to accommodate the Isle of Wight promotion were non existent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

IOW have withdrawn from the BSPL and therefore cannot run in the league. Roughly translated as we don't agree with the way you are running the NDL and want no part of your tyrannical rule. More will come out in the wash but IOW view speedway as a product across the leagues and not just about success for their own club/finances. 

Even purely based on this season they would face pulling apart the team they built whilst a lot of replacement options have been snapped up, paying the various licences and insurances for a much shorter and uncertain season, relying on being able to secure sponsorships from company's likely struggling due to the pandemic, the list of reasons for any team not to run is quite compelling but i still think the reasons are deeper and more long term.

The financial situation and team building is the very same faced by every other club in all three divisions. 

28 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

The financial situation and team building is the very same faced by every other club in all three divisions. 

I hate to keep picking you up on points, but the Team building has been imposed (as Barry clearly said in the press release)on the NL not negotiated, so im sorry but its not the same as the other 2 divisions which were agreed not imposed, as for the financial situation travelling to the Island brings added costs for spectators, officials and riders so it is slightly different to being on land.

29 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Except that in the two higher divisions the clubs aren't reliant on only 6 home meetings to sustain themselves and any club entering teams in multiple leagues get a reduction in rates for the second team (a luxury IOW wouldn't have been afforded). Ultimately the higher clubs conspired to generate a weaker NL for the benefit of themselves and the 2nd teams they wished to enter, were IOW excluded from these discussions because they would have heavily objected? certainly. Were IOW right to withdraw from the BSPL? certainly. Will the NDL be a viable product in 5 years time? Unlikely.

12 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Except that in the two higher divisions the clubs aren't reliant on only 6 home meetings to sustain themselves and any club entering teams in multiple leagues get a reduction in rates for the second team (a luxury IOW wouldn't have been afforded). Ultimately the higher clubs conspired to generate a weaker NL for the benefit of themselves and the 2nd teams they wished to enter, were IOW excluded from these discussions because they would have heavily objected? certainly. Were IOW right to withdraw from the BSPL? certainly. Will the NDL be a viable product in 5 years time? Unlikely.

You really should start your own Facebook page and put all your conspiracy theories together and start a revolution. The sport certainly needs one.

I told you ages ago , before it went public, what was happening and you didn’t believe me, now it’s all out there you have decided to make it something it isn’t. What benefit is there to the two higher divisions of weakening the DEVELOPMENT division , and that word is important, other than making it actually DEVELOP some new talent ?

Theres been riders in that division who have made it their comfort zone for easy money for too long, now they can’t, I think that is for the good of the SPORT not just the higher divisions.

IOW have decided not to run for the short season which is 2021, that’s their choice. They havent closed, they haven’t been bulldozed, they are still there and can come back when they chose.

As for 5 years time, we don’t even know there if there will be ANY speedway by then the way it’s going but let’s give it chance.

Sings4speedway appears to be after the job of ‘ Voice of the Isle of Wight ‘ club or even after ‘ Voice of the NDL ‘ but then there are some happy clubs involved so perhaps not.

Personaly I think it’s about time the division did go back to its roots of bringing on young riders , who only ride for expenses , like they did in the old days , or as it seems to be popular at the moment , “ for the benefit of the sport “ !

• Haha 3

As I apparently have an agenda to like the Bspl I will have my say. If the IOW were such a progressive club why have they not embraced what is in my opinion a dawning of a new era in British speedway with the advent of the rising stars and taking the NDL back to its original intention of a development league. Admittedly the cut to 35 for team build is harsh and has led to some unsavoury measures to allow teams to come under the limit but it had to be done .

the new era may not be the promised land but speedway in the uk could not of carried on as it was . I personally hope the 5 year plan continues and in 4 years they announce what is going to happen after that . Remember the plan actually covers riders who are 11 now as they will be coming into the system.

also like to add I do think it's a shame they didn't choose to try to make it work.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

As I apparently have an agenda to like the Bspl I will have my say. If the IOW were such a progressive club why have they not embraced what is in my opinion a dawning of a new era in British speedway with the advent of the rising stars and taking the NDL back to its original intention of a development league. Admittedly the cut to 35 for team build is harsh and has led to some unsavoury measures to allow teams to come under the limit but it had to be done .

the new era may not be the promised land but speedway in the uk could not of carried on as it was . I personally hope the 5 year plan continues and in 4 years they announce what is going to happen after that . Remember the plan actually covers riders who are 11 now as they will be coming into the system.

also like to add I do think it's a shame they didn't choose to try to make it work.

They've taken their ball home, I'm glad I'm not one of their supporters.