British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Appreciated was definitely a rush of emotions although you may regret it:D Eastbourne are certainly moving in the right direction and do take care of their riders and reap the rewards of the development. They are also a side that does look at ability over anything else and the track at Arlington certainly sorts out those with the skill sets from those that don't. 

I hope that there is some level of MSDL for the Lakeside Seagulls to take part in but with ghost teams gone it only leaves Birmingham & Eastbourne? 

All a bit quiet on the MSDL front isn't it. Eastbourne have said they will have a bit of an old-fashioned 2nd half for NDL / MSDL riders after Championship matches of four races to give them some track time and also to let the crowd filter away, rather than rush out , to help keep people distanced.

• Like 1

Looking at the teams being assembled, and what appears to be quite a long "tail" for most teams, would it have been better to run maybe 5 man teams in the NL? Or even 4 team tournaments?

More actual teams maybe but less riders, with a much lower difference between standard. The difference in standard being so important when it comes to the entertainment served up.

The best lads wont gain anything from beating the 'wobblers' and the lads 'wobbling' wont gain anything from getting hammered by the best lads..

You wont get a 'wobbler' to HL status in a season, but you might get a Second String there, so these "middle" riders are the ones who should be given priority places, and the most opportunity to race against their next level of rider..

Let the 2, and 3 point NL average lads race together in 'proper' second halves and see the NL place in a team as something to aspire to. Not to just be handed one so you can be a "makeweight" because your average fits..

Its great that we seem to have a joined up development path for riders, however the on track entertainment will be vital to maintain the public's interest..

Not sure seven man teams will deliver this given the difference in standard in virtually every heat..

• Like 3

Nice to see teams filling up the places with home grown talent - not, and then people wonder why british speedway way is in a mess . I feel sorry for the british riders who will end up without a team . 

Edited by ONTWOMINUTES

"Admittedly the cut to 35 for team build is harsh and has led to some unsavoury measures to allow teams to come under the limit but it had to be done ."

What a load of tosh.  So every season you chop the team building average drastically -  losing half your previous season's side in the interests of fitting under the new points limit. Dont see any savings here for the clubs the NL has a fixed pay  limit. We see either stars of yesteryear appear on some assessed average , or rabbits sprung in to the league on an invented minimum average . Its a race to the bottom.

The NL seems to be heading back to the days of watching the air fence being repaired 15 times a meeting - watching novice riders practice their mistakes. To charge fans to watch this stuff is an insult.     It's not entertainment.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, Ringitsneck said:

Halifaxtiger in response to your well written post I have just a couple of points to clarify;

We don’t know officially that the points limit was imposed or discussed before hand as we were not there but it’s is the same for every club and therefore the club makes a decision to run based on that. 
As for knowing something you don’t know, where does it say IOW have closed for good ?

it doesn’t, that’s just speculation on your part.

Speedway in the UK needs to develop more young riders not just the odd one or two ‘ naturals ‘ who graduate up through the divisions through their own desire and talent. We need GP standard riders yes, but we also need the solid second strings and the guys who appear for a season or two till the ambition runs out. This has to be done in a structured way with a clear path , introducing riders from amateurs into the NDL , letting them develop without the promise of easy money and then moving up the standards. If you speak to the more honest riders who have spent several seasons in the NDL as heat leaders and they tell you the points money some NDL clubs were willing to pay them , then you will understand my term ‘ easy money ‘ and why those riders hung around in a league they were not developing in, if anything they were stagnating. I know riders in the NDL who were earning more for a race win than some people get paid a week ! I accept that wasn’t the case at every club, Buxton were the one and only club who ran as it should be and look what the rest of the league did to them by paying such wages.

The loss ( temporary or otherwise ) of the IOW is extremely disappointing , a very well run club, but the sport needs overhauling and if this is the start , however unpopular it is, then so be it. 
We will never all agree on everything , that’s human nature.

Couple of points :

Barry Bishop says the limit was imposed and there was no discussion.

Forgive me being pedantic but you said Isle of Wight 'havent closed', I said 'They could, indeed, have closed for good'. One is a statement of fact, the other of possibility.

I'd maintain no rider stays in the NDL unless they feel it absolutely necessary. If there are or were  indeed riders who sat in that league just for the money, care to name them ? 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

So am I right in thinking the points limit reduction is an effort to get more genuine youngsters and novices into the NL and clear out a few older, ‘professional’ third division riders who have been riding at this level for several years? Or am I misunderstanding? 

Just now, Bagpuss said:

So am I right in thinking the points limit reduction is an effort to get more genuine youngsters and novices into the NL and clear out a few older, ‘professional’ third division riders who have been riding at this level for several years? Or am I misunderstanding? 

In truth, I think it is to encourage more clubs to enter the league.

You can argue that is not unreasonable - with Plymouth, Cradley and Stoke leaving and a question mark over the Colts there would only have been Kent, Leicester, Mildenhall and Isle of Wight left - but it still should have been done following full discussion with member clubs. It wasn't and was imposed by BSPL members who don't even run NDL teams.

The upshot is that we have lost by far and away the most innovative, customer focussed and progressive club in the sport (and that is anything but just my opinion). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Can you summarise as that appears to be a private group.

STATEMENT and please read it all from Barry Bishop and Martin Widman, co-owners of Isle of Wight Speedway.

In a recent Mildenhall Speedway press release their team manager Malcolm Vasey was quoted extensively and some of his comments could only have referred to our heart-breaking decision to withdraw from the National League and the British Speedway Promoters' Limited following decisions taken about the rules for the 2021 season and beyond.
He said: “It would be so easy to say the new scheme of things is unacceptable and close down as others have. The owners of our Club have concluded that is not the way for our Mildenhall Fen Tigers. I back them to the hilt myself and hope that you will do the same. Bring your friends to West Row let’s live the dream together. Other teams have fallen by the wayside and we cannot allow that to happen here at Mildenhall. Tigers roar, please come back in numbers and show us." 

Martin and I would like to give our fans, sponsors and volunteers the following message to reflect upon at this time.

For us it has been ANYTHING but EASY to say the new scheme of doing things in the 2021 National League is unacceptable. It has been ANYTHING but EASY to accept that our governing body, for the first time in its history (certainly in our history running the Warriors) I believe, took a decision that affects an entire league, a decision that was implemented not by the league members voting, but by the will of the few – the four members of the Board of the BSPL. They imposed the rules upon the league without consultation and agreement, without the NL representative (Len Silver) in attendance and an instruction to ‘do it this way or you are not in it’ with no confirmation that this way to implement new rules would not continue into next year and beyond.

It would have been ANYTHING but EASY for me to stand in front of you all at each meeting, welcoming you all to something I knew we did not believe in with rules that had been imposed upon us. Indeed, at the 2020 AGM, Martin and I had said we couldn’t stage speedway at  a 37 point maximum team average, let alone 35 points and Mr Vasey was one of the loudest opponents to the then attempt to weaken the league.

It would have been ANYTHING but EASY to accept this way of working from the governing body with this mantra – ‘Do as we tell you, but do it entirely at your risk and do it for our long-term benefit’. How is it even possible for any business to comply with this and who on earth agrees with it?

It would have been ANYTHING but EASY for us to allow riders to race against each other on our track, riders who we would not put out at the same time at our My First Skid training sessions. Yet we have to sell this to you as a sporting occasion, one we want you to tell your friends all about and encourage new supporters to come along and watch it.

It would have been ANYTHING but EASY to speak to our sponsors about something imposed upon us that we just don’t believe in. For Martin and I to accept the money of sponsors who believe in us, our ethos, and our vision that is taken away because others cannot get their own ship in order. No, this is not for us.

What would have been EASY would have been for the BSPL to engage with us, we needed contact with the Board or NL Co-ordinator and not only the Office Administrator – for this is the ONLY person who has communicated with us since early last year, before the scheduled start of the 2020 season, less an email or two from the NL Coordinator. This was a situation where we had to tell the BSPL if we were in or out before being allowed to attend the meeting, the ONLY zoom call since the 2020 NL AGM, and even then it was only a call to discuss who was in and to talk about the fixtures. 

Of course, we feel bad about not being able to provide positions for riders who thought they would be riding for us this year, but you can also see the effect it is having on other teams where riders are being ‘sacked’ because their averages don't fit with the new team limits. Good, solid, loyal riders dumped at the drop of a hat.

So, Warriors and Wizard fans, we will leave it to you to decide if you think we have let you down, or if you think we have taken the EASY route, because those who know us, will know it has broken our hearts to take this decision. But in our view, it is the right one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I personally feel like this is one reason but there are 2 reasons and HT has pointed out the other.

They may have achieved in getting more second teams to take part, but at what cost? Pushing out standalone teams, so-called ghost teams and not even ‘clearing’ out all of the career NL riders. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

I personally feel like this is one reason but there are 2 reasons and HT has pointed out the other.

They may have achieved in getting more second teams to take part, but at what cost? Pushing out standalone teams, so-called ghost teams and not even ‘clearing’ out all of the career NL riders. 

Think it was one of the reasons, but who are the ones left?

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

It makes for interesting reading. Given the reported lack of communication from the BSPL, it appears that the stand alone NL clubs were sold down the river with a take it or leave it for the NL this year.

I suspect this is all part of a plan to 'consolidate' the sport and turn the NL into a reserve team competition, with the stand alone tracks driven out of business.

How Mildenhall will survive with six league meetings, plus a few 'open' filler meetings is beyond me.

• Like 3

Sad that the current cronies of this once good sport have stifled one of the few bright hopes when it comes to running meetings as an entertainment. IOW have lead the way in how an evening of speedway should be presented engaging with fans etc just as it used to be in days gone by and probably this goes back in the late 60’s and 70’s and the days of leaping Len, dearly departed Dave Lanning at Eastbourne and the great JH at Canterbury. What is it the BSPL are thinking when they have/are driving clubs. out of business. Those in authority are probably taking a leaf out of dictator Boris Johnson’s book and do as I say. For those who run the sport they still expect the paying punter to turn up week in week out without question. If ever an independent enquiry was needed to investigate as to how speedway is run in this country, now is that time. I doubt that anyone of those who voted on these measures or sit on the board or are part of the committee, have the balls to be answerable for the issues by coming on this forum and deal with the questioning from those who really care about speedway in this country. The BSPL has no balls when it comes to being accountable.

• Like 4

I regret that the iow aren't running; but unless a club can run at a professional level (i.e championship), then they ride in a 3rd tier that should definitely in my opinion be a division that the likes of Buxton can be competitive in. I said a few years back that the national DEVELOPMENT league has been hi-jacked by dropping down clubs who were paying riders more money than should have been allowed at that level. Hence we lost stalwarts Buxton after years of struggle.

It seems the IOW (and possibly Mildenhall too), fall between the two levels and it's clear there aren't enough other stand-alone clubs left for a league at their ideal level. (in fact have there ever been?)..  I think on this occasion the right decision has prevailed...Winning the 3rd division should not be the priority of any of the competing teams...it should be about development..

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1