British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

In all honesty if you pay your money you could run a match at scunny between the Godfrey Gits and BSPL bellenders if you wanted too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I understand that a by the name of Scunthorpe Stags rode against Crayford Kestrels very recently, at Scunny.

Yep seen that but wasn't it part of a private hire day so you can do as you want. Isn't that totally different from ghost teams running as second halfs under scb rules and referees 

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, phillwhitewasmad said:

Yep seen that but wasn't it part of a private hire day so you can do as you want. Isn't that totally different from ghost teams running as second halfs under scb rules and referees 

The meeting was organised and run by Scunthorpe Speedway under SCB rules and riders had to get Day Licences if they didn't have an SCB licence. It was racing and I suppose you can under a private hire but the implications of anything happening would I think be quite significant, especially on the owner of the track. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 7:50 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

In all honesty if you pay your money you could run a match at scunny between the Godfrey Gits and BSPL bellenders if you wanted too

Liking the BSPL bellenders :D, however the facts are Scunny can apparently put on this kind of meeting under whatever guise they choose, but the same courtesy is not being extended to the IOW which is threatening the existance of Speedway under any form on the Island, this stinks of dictatorship and has no place on the island of Britain, may i suggest Godfrey moves to Russia or China where his form of Chairmanship is more in line with there way of life. In my humble opinion it should be Barry Bishop leading the BSPL (impossible now they are not members) as he can learn a number of BSPL promoters a thing or three about what Promotion stands for and i dont mean being promoted from Labourer to Foreman. I really hope that the IOW can survive this blatant pressure being put on riders by persons known and unknown, after all its for the good of the Sport that Speedway on the Island survives under whatever guise its able to. Its just a great pity that there is not a sugar daddy out there that could sponsor meetings with enough money for the riders to be able to stick two fingers up to the bullies of British Speedway.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Great Central said:

The meeting was organised and run by Scunthorpe Speedway under SCB rules and riders had to get Day Licences if they didn't have an SCB licence. It was racing and I suppose you can under a private hire but the implications of anything happening would I think be quite significant, especially on the owner of the track. 

There’s no such thing as ‘ Day Licence ‘ anymore , they put a stop to that and you now have to pay the SCB for an ‘ Amateur ‘ licence which is £20.

I hope that a way of funding legal action is found to fight the Speedway authorities.

What they are doing is undoubtedly illegal and was proven so in the 1970s (maybe very early 80s) when the ACU were taken to court after threatening the withdrawal of ACU race licences of riders competing in AMCA mx events. Didn't stop the ACU just making threats they knew had no bite for years after the decision until it got to the stage everybody just ignored them.  Remember how they threatened the licences of any rider practicing at Lydd not so very long ago? I can't remember it ever happening because they knew it was an empty threat.

In addition if they are treating riders as professionals then their contracts should come under employment law, no more asset system, the addition of sick pay, holiday pay and pension schemes, no dropping riders to bring in somebody else because the numbers fit unless you're willing to keep paying the dropped rider. Put all that under threat and I suspect they will withdraw their threats to riders.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vince said:

I hope that a way of funding legal action is found to fight the Speedway authorities.

What they are doing is undoubtedly illegal and was proven so in the 1970s (maybe very early 80s) when the ACU were taken to court after threatening the withdrawal of ACU race licences of riders competing in AMCA mx events. Didn't stop the ACU just making threats they knew had no bite for years after the decision until it got to the stage everybody just ignored them.  Remember how they threatened the licences of any rider practicing at Lydd not so very long ago? I can't remember it ever happening because they knew it was an empty threat.

In addition if they are treating riders as professionals then their contracts should come under employment law, no more asset system, the addition of sick pay, holiday pay and pension schemes, no dropping riders to bring in somebody else because the numbers fit unless you're willing to keep paying the dropped rider. Put all that under threat and I suspect they will withdraw their threats to riders.

The first sign of any legal action and they’ll run for the hills. They can’t ban riders what they can do is threaten not to select them and for that you don’t need any legal recourse as it’s a matter of team choice who they choose and who they don’t and that’s what’s currently troubling the riders

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TMW said:

The first sign of any legal action and they’ll run for the hills. They can’t ban riders what they can do is threaten not to select them and for that you don’t need any legal recourse as it’s a matter of team choice who they choose and who they don’t and that’s what’s currently troubling the riders

You're dead right, although that would have to be done very much off the record. I don't see the difference between refusing to select and a ban - they are effectively pretty much the same thing. However, we do know only too well how bloody vindictive the BSPL can be.

Two other points :

If 14 NL riders compete in just one meeting on the Island they can't dump them all because there just aren't enough at NL standard as it is. Verge, King & Wirtzfeld all have close ties to the Warriors; could Eastbourne drop all three ??

My suspicion is that put to the test not all clubs would actually behave the way the BSPL might want them to. There could be a lot more understanding out there for Isle of Wight than they might like.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You're dead right, although that would have to be done very much off the record. I don't see the difference between refusing to select and a ban - they are effectively pretty much the same thing. However, we do know only too well how bloody vindictive the BSPL can be.

Two other points :

If 14 NL riders compete in just one meeting on the Island they can't dump them all because there just aren't enough at NL standard as it is. Verge, King & Wirtzfeld all have close ties to the Warriors; could Eastbourne drop all three ??

My suspicion is that put to the test not all clubs would actually behave the way the BSPL might want them to. There could be a lot more understanding out there for Isle of Wight than they might like.

I agree with you 100% but, it’s asking a lot of the riders to protest when all they want to do is ride 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TMW said:

I agree with you 100% but, it’s asking a lot of the riders to protest when all they want to do is ride 

But if they don’t protest against BSPL they not going to get all the rides they want/need.  
What about supporters protesting - going to meetings but not entering the stadium, no income for the promotors to pay bills.

The BSPL have finally shown their true colours, and show just why British Speedway is steadily dying . Their closed shop dictatorship is crumbling, they  are losing tracks left right and centre, we have fewer and fewer riders interested in racing here, those that are any good will be offski to Poland as soon as possible. 

So faced with what equates to a training track operation on IOW they threaten to ban any rider who turns up for some track time. 

Is our sport going to survive with this bunch of amateurs running the sport? Only the spectators will decide whether to keep contributing to their coffers for a declining quality of entertainment.

I wonder whether we will see any statements from BSPL in the speedway press or  have they already got them under their control?

A similar situation used to happen years ago when ACU licensed riders raced sand track at Mablethorpe beach cause the club wasn't affiliated to the ACU. Some riders used to race under an assumed name but eventually riders stopped doing this cause it was proved that as long as proper rules, health and safety and insurance were provided then it was not illegal for the club to run outside the ACU.

Essentially the BSPL is just one organisation, theirs nothing to stop a another organisation running events as long as things are done properly.

Like Halifax tiger says, if 16 NL riders rode in an individual meeting on the IoW the BSPL couldn't ban them all cause there wouldn't be enough other up to standard riders about to replace them. At present you'd only need 10 NL riders get injured or quit racing and there'd be a major shortage of riders and teams would end up asking anyone with a bike to make up numbers. 

I'm sure if this matter went to court the BSPL wouldn't have a leg to stand on!

The changes to the 3rd tier this season and the attempt to seriously hamper the existing successful Northern junior League/ Midland development Leagues really show Godfrey and Co in their true colours. - Rob Godfrey would look the part in a brown shirt!

4 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

A similar situation used to happen years ago when ACU licensed riders raced sand track at Mablethorpe beach cause the club wasn't affiliated to the ACU. Some riders used to race under an assumed name but eventually riders stopped doing this cause it was proved that as long as proper rules, health and safety and insurance were provided then it was not illegal for the club to run outside the ACU

Proven ? Is this documented anywhere 

I think its been said (not sure if its documented) that in a democratic Country an organisation like the ACU can't stop a motorcycle club not affiliated to them from staging events, hence why the Mablethorpe Sand racing club has been running continually up to the pandemic for 50 years since 1970.

Similarly there is still a handful of flapper greyhound tracks that are not affiliated to the main greyhound racing organisation. 

Like I said take this matter to a court of law and the BSPL would likely lose and British speedway is also in no position to ban a load of NDL standard riders cause the League would cease to be competitive and viable.

• Thanks 1

From what I've seen this season, Isle of Wight are missing out on a good league campaign. I'm new to the National League, but the three meetings I've season at Berwick have been entertaining. Each team I have seen so far has had a success story (Mason Watson, Greg Blair, George Rothery, the McGurks, Archie Freeman, both Thompsons, Josh Embleton, just a few from the teams I've seen). A lot of the meetings are close and have well matched teams. Berwick are also getting very good crowds watching the National League matches as part of double headers. Could have had themselves eight decent home meetings, plus any more they wanted to put together.

• Like 4