British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

From what I've seen this season, Isle of Wight are missing out on a good league campaign. I'm new to the National League, but the three meetings I've season at Berwick have been entertaining. Each team I have seen so far has had a success story (Mason Watson, Greg Blair, George Rothery, the McGurks, Archie Freeman, both Thompsons, Josh Embleton, just a few from the teams I've seen). A lot of the meetings are close and have well matched teams. Berwick are also getting very good crowds watching the National League matches as part of double headers. Could have had themselves eight decent home meetings, plus any more they wanted to put together.

Begs the question...Is it too late for a change of heart by the promoters at IOW ?  Still many weeks left between now and the end of October.

13 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Begs the question...Is it too late for a change of heart by the promoters at IOW ?  Still many weeks left between now and the end of October.

• phillwhitewasmad
  • Members
  • 979 posts
  • Team:Scunthorpe/ Berwick border raiders

Was at the meeting and got to say it was a fantastic advert for national league speedway. Maybe some who thought the reduced limit would effect the product should think again .:t:

barrybishop reacted to this
Edited by phillwhitewasmad

11 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:
  • phillwhitewasmad
  • Members
  • 979 posts

Was at the meeting and got to say it was a fantastic advert for national league speedway. Maybe some who thought the reduced limit would effect the product should think again .:t:

Meeting of the two surprise packages with Berwick over achieving and Leicester under thus far. Was still  a meeting of multiple fallers and two races in one. Faller stats from Newcastle are far worse. 

Dont forget that the reduced limit is only having a lesser effect this year, with inflated averages the league will be a whole lot worse next season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

From what I've seen this season, Isle of Wight are missing out on a good league campaign. I'm new to the National League, but the three meetings I've season at Berwick have been entertaining. Each team I have seen so far has had a success story (Mason Watson, Greg Blair, George Rothery, the McGurks, Archie Freeman, both Thompsons, Josh Embleton, just a few from the teams I've seen). A lot of the meetings are close and have well matched teams. Berwick are also getting very good crowds watching the National League matches as part of double headers. Could have had themselves eight decent home meetings, plus any more they wanted to put together.

You tend to need read the whole story to understand where the IOW are coming from. The 35 point limit is just one factor and it’s well documented it’s about BSPL dictatorship and dictating to them how their business will run with absolutely no engagement apart from ‘Yo knew this was coming’ probably some of the most chilling words I’ve ever heard !! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topsoil said:

TMW is right.

You need to look at the full circumstances before judging the Isle of Wight promotion - I haven't seen anyone yet try to defend the decision making process that led both to the points limit and the Warriors withdrawal. Nor have I seen a Warriors fan who is anything but 100% behind the decision they have taken (and there are many others who agree).

Truth is, the stupidity, incompetence and selfishness of certain members of the BSPL may have caused the loss of by far and away the most innovative and customer focussed promotion in Britain at a point when we need every track we can get. 

In any case, Isle of Wight can still have an excellent season without needing the attraction of a Championship match to ensure an adequate attendance - if the apparent (and illegal) threats of fines and bans being given to riders are dropped. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:
  • phillwhitewasmad
  • Members
  • 979 posts

What is your problem ? The IOW not competing affects you, how? 

No problem at all it was a response to east end fans post it shows Barry Bishop laughing emoji in response to my question on a different thread . Like I have said before it's a shame another track is lost to British speedway it's there prerogative,

13 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

No problem at all it was a response to east end fans post it shows Barry Bishop laughing emoji in response to my question on a different thread . Like I have said before it's a shame another track is lost to British speedway it's there prerogative,

The track hasn’t  been lost so you can rest assured 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Meeting of the two surprise packages with Berwick over achieving and Leicester under thus far. Was still  a meeting of multiple fallers and two races in one. Faller stats from Newcastle are far worse. 

Dont forget that the reduced limit is only having a lesser effect this year, with inflated averages the league will be a whole lot worse next season. 

If you're taking about the meeting at Berwick, I can only remember one, Micky Simpson.

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

This says a lot to me

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

If you're taking about the meeting at Berwick, I can only remember one, Micky Simpson.

This says a lot to me

At Berwick x1, at Leicester x4, at Newcastle x 8 (although 4 was same person). A rider making his Debut at Newcastle scored 5+3 just by staying aboard and picking up scraps. Im not saying there isn't racing and passes taking place because that isn't true but in the majority its because the lesser riders hop out of the start and then get passed by the better quality riders. 

Looking at next season these lesser quality riders will still be signed as 2nd strings and even 3rd heat leaders with new rookies coming in. Wind forward a year or two and the likes of Watson or Rothery could have averages that force them to be number 1's but will they have improved enough to be of similar standard to what Flint or Bickley are now? If yes then the system works but if the more likely no then there is an even poorer product attempting to be sold to the public.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

At Berwick x1, at Leicester x4, at Newcastle x 8 (although 4 was same person). A rider making his Debut at Newcastle scored 5+3 just by staying aboard and picking up scraps. Im not saying there isn't racing and passes taking place because that isn't true but in the majority its because the lesser riders hop out of the start and then get passed by the better quality riders. 

Looking at next season these lesser quality riders will still be signed as 2nd strings and even 3rd heat leaders with new rookies coming in. Wind forward a year or two and the likes of Watson or Rothery could have averages that force them to be number 1's but will they have improved enough to be of similar standard to what Flint or Bickley are now? If yes then the system works but if the more likely no then there is an even poorer product attempting to be sold to the public.

Isn't that called progression? It's what this league is supposed to be all about, a conveyor belt into the championship, the premiership.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topsoil said:

Isn't that called progression? It's what this league is supposed to be all about, a conveyor belt into the championship, the premiership.

Whilst i agree that is one of the leagues primary objectives creating a system where everyone ups thier average and therefore "improves" is like school sports days where everyone is a winner. What about the idea that riders have to be good enough first and then take the chances that come thier way? This all inclusive idea could produce a conveyor belt of riders under prepared for higher leagues and generate a far greater divide between the ability of UK riders vs the rest of the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst i agree that is one of the leagues primary objectives creating a system where everyone ups thier average and therefore "improves" is like school sports days where everyone is a winner. What about the idea that riders have to be good enough first and then take the chances that come thier way? This all inclusive idea could produce a conveyor belt of riders under prepared for higher leagues and generate a far greater divide between the ability of UK riders vs the rest of the world.

I don't understand the school sports day analogy. Only riders deemed good enough by the Championship / Premiership teams will get chosen to ride in those leagues and your average will only go up if you score enough points. Don't know where your all inclusive idea comes in.

On 6 June 2021 at 6:44 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

You're dead right, although that would have to be done very much off the record. I don't see the difference between refusing to select and a ban - they are effectively pretty much the same thing. However, we do know only too well how bloody vindictive the BSPL can be.

Two other points :

If 14 NL riders compete in just one meeting on the Island they can't dump them all because there just aren't enough at NL standard as it is. Verge, King & Wirtzfeld all have close ties to the Warriors; could Eastbourne drop all three ??

My suspicion is that put to the test not all clubs would actually behave the way the BSPL might want them to. There could be a lot more understanding out there for Isle of Wight than they might like.

And if the riders were NDL heat leaders then the Championship would be 'Donald Ducked' too...

Which is strangely synergetic given the 'Mickey Mouse' aspect of how this sport can often be ran...  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, topsoil said:

I don't understand the school sports day analogy. Only riders deemed good enough by the Championship / Premiership teams will get chosen to ride in those leagues and your average will only go up if you score enough points. Don't know where your all inclusive idea comes in.

I wont go into the full maths of it but any league with team building under 42.5 will see natural increases in averages,  building further below accelerates this. 

This years NDL has many riders that have been on the outside for a while but now as the team building numbers are low many on a 3 point average who have been often overlooked are now welcomed in. Now there could be a couple who grow and become surprise packages but many are now just competing with others at a lower level. In a couple of years the pickings for CL and PL teams will be slimmer, dads army teams more common and the sport in even more bother as a whole.