British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Isn't that called progression? It's what this league is supposed to be all about, a conveyor belt into the championship, the premiership.

No problem there at all where the waters start to muddy is Charging for it. What being described I’d 2nd half development  

38 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I wont go into the full maths of it but any league with team building under 42.5 will see natural increases in averages,  building further below accelerates this. 

This years NDL has many riders that have been on the outside for a while but now as the team building numbers are low many on a 3 point average who have been often overlooked are now welcomed in. Now there could be a couple who grow and become surprise packages but many are now just competing with others at a lower level. In a couple of years the pickings for CL and PL teams will be slimmer, dads army teams more common and the sport in even more bother as a whole.

Nail hit firmly on the head there Sings4Speedway.

With all training schools (and that's what they are trying to run in the the NDL)  there has to be some who fail their training and allow new trainees into the school. Trouble is BSPL thaink that the more "track time"  every rider gets will make them all champions. The fact they we are being asked to pay £15 to watch the training still wrankles. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Nail hit firmly on the head there Sings4Speedway.

With all training schools (and that's what they are trying to run in the the NDL)  there has to be some who fail their training and allow new trainees into the school. Trouble is BSPL thaink that the more "track time"  every rider gets will make them all champions. The fact they we are being asked to pay £15 to watch the training still wrankles. 

Who is charging £15 for the national league?

2 hours ago, TMW said:

No problem there at all where the waters start to muddy is Charging for it. What being described I’d 2nd half development  

The standard is a lot better than 2nd half development

1 hour ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Kent

Fair play that is excessive. I know the tracks up here are nowhere near that.

9 hours ago, topsoil said:

The standard is a lot better than 2nd half development

I'd say your probably right on that. Dropping from 39 to 35 means replacing a 7pt rider (who has probably been in the NL for some time) for a 3pt one and, on the face of it, its not a huge change. What I would say on the lower limit is that it is not sustainable. We have seen this season that clubs have had to scour the ranks of retired and semi retired riders on low averages to make teams up (and leaving themselves very low on replacements should injuries happen); that will only get worse in 2022 with the possibility that some deserving riders are frozen out.

I'd also accept the point that lowering the points limit doesn't necessarily mean a drop in what happens out on the track. If it did, then NL speedway would be massively inferior to PL speedway, and it isn't. 

The problem - and I have mentioned this before - is one of perception rather than reality. People equate a lower points limit with a drop in standards (both in performer and racing) and hence they are less likely to attend. The huge amount of criticism levelled at the upper leagues in the past is evidence of that and there's little doubt that people have walked away because of it. Its why when Scunthorpe ran a very weak NL side a few seasons ago  every meeting was tied to a Championship one, because there was a recognition that people wouldn't pay to watch the NL team alone. (staying to watch an NL meeting after a CL one is one thing; paying to watch NL only is very different and Isle of Wight do not have the former option).

Martin Widman has made it absolutely clear that the problem is not about the points limit but about the way it was introduced, and its very hard to disagree with his view (particularly if you stand in his shoes). I think it is indefensible that a team is not consulted about the way their league regulations are to be decided, particularly when that is determined by others who have no involvement in that league whatsoever and, as Martin has also made clear, there is absolutely no evidence that that will change in the future.

For that reason, the decision Isle of Wight made is not only understandable, its justifiable. What is not so are the BSPL's attempts to prevent them running at all. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

For that reason, the decision Isle of Wight made is not only understandable, its justifiable. What is not so are the BSPL's attempts to prevent them running at all. 

They're frightened the IOW will be a success and others will follow I imagine is part of it.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, gazzac said:

They're frightened the IOW will be a success and others will follow I imagine is part of it.

I think you are dead right. I also think they have good reason to be frightened.

With the prospect of a good summer. huge numbers of staycations, the Isle of Wight"s superbly customer focussed promotion and their plans for Speedway to be only part of the entertainment on race nights, the BSPL should be scared.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

Barry, thanks for the update. You have an lot of support on here and fans far and wide and it is understandable why you may want to throw in the towel but don’t let these selfish morons get the better of you and the club. Petty minded individuals hiding behind corporate BSPL none of whom have the balls to come on here or any other medium to rationally explain their stance. If genuine speedway fans can do anything to support your cause, let us all know as many really do believe in the two of you and the club. You have the vision so don’t give up, you will find a way.

• Like 6

Im sorry to see the comments of "Being close to saying its enough" what will the BSPL gain from another Club closing? albeit that they are no longer members of the dictators Club, only today CVS has said they may have to consider closing due to outside decisions, yet here we have a Track wanting to continue yet the BSPL continue to put obstacles in there way Rob Godfrey in his position as Chairman of the BSPL should be encouraging the IOW to stage Speedway, never mind they can continue staging amateur meetings up at Scunthorpe because there may soon not be enough Speedway Teams to stage meaningful League meetings against, is that what Godfrey & Co really want ?.

• Like 4

An amazing amount of likes and thanks, certainly confirms who the majority who care think who is right and who is wrong.

Doesn't really help Barry and Martin, but at least it must be a bit rewarding knowing most think they are morally right in their stance.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Im sorry to see the comments of "Being close to saying its enough" what will the BSPL gain from another Club closing? albeit that they are no longer members of the dictators Club, only today CVS has said they may have to consider closing due to outside decisions, yet here we have a Track wanting to continue yet the BSPL continue to put obstacles in there way Rob Godfrey in his position as Chairman of the BSPL should be encouraging the IOW to stage Speedway, never mind they can continue staging amateur meetings up at Scunthorpe because there may soon not be enough Speedway Teams to stage meaningful League meetings against, is that what Godfrey & Co really want ?.

I believe you may well have the answer in the last sentence.