British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

Whilst I do believe the current regime are failing to lead the sport in the right direction to say they want to turn it fully amateur is just completely wrong. I get that you have understandable issues with the top table but they are in it because they love the sport and hope to make a few Bob, but I doubt they do make much and so why kill the golden goose ? for want of a better term.

I can foresee a crisis coming but perhaps that’s what we need so it can be rebuilt a new, hopefully !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry " Ringitsneck", but history has shown that UK speedway administrators have repeatedly failed to change the sport to attract and entertain new spectators to the sport, failed to attract new investment into the sport and failed to provide a fair, transparent and democratic leadership structure.  Any attempts of new ideas brought in by "others" have  always been debunked. They are still marketing the same old 15 heat  4 laps a race clutch start  7 man team format for every meeting , all riders messing around endlessly before every heat. TIRED is one word that sums up the entertainment offer. 

They have sensibly made their group a Limited company, in anticipation of the day when they have to wind up.

You would have thought that the admin. would bend over backwards to ensure as many clubs line up to tapes every season ...... but we see a steady loss of venues and the remaining "clique"  of promoters just shrug their shoulders.  Will the Premier League complete the 2021 season ? We started with only 6 and might only have 5. 

The lack of action on the top table to promote and market the sport in the UK is reprehensible. 

Speedway will survive IMO, but run by a disparate group of  promoters who will rent a venue on an occasional basis for individual invitation meetings, with token prize money offered (just like UK grasstrack).  This perhaps is not dissimilar to the ideas of the IoW promotion ....  but this is where the sport is heading, and what the public will pay to watch in numbers.

People want an afternoon/evening out, to be entertained, with plenty of track action, and not be be subjected to 15 drawn out heats of tyre warming , 2 minute warnings, separated every 3/4 heats by tractor racing.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Sorry " Ringitsneck", but history has shown that UK speedway administrators have repeatedly failed to change the sport to attract and entertain new spectators to the sport, failed to attract new investment into the sport and failed to provide a fair, transparent and democratic leadership structure.  Any attempts of new ideas brought in by "others" have  always been debunked. They are still marketing the same old 15 heat  4 laps a race clutch start  7 man team format for every meeting , all riders messing around endlessly before every heat. TIRED is one word that sums up the entertainment offer. 

They have sensibly made their group a Limited company, in anticipation of the day when they have to wind up.

You would have thought that the admin. would bend over backwards to ensure as many clubs line up to tapes every season ...... but we see a steady loss of venues and the remaining "clique"  of promoters just shrug their shoulders.  Will the Premier League complete the 2021 season ? We started with only 6 and might only have 5. 

The lack of action on the top table to promote and market the sport in the UK is reprehensible. 

Speedway will survive IMO, but run by a disparate group of  promoters who will rent a venue on an occasional basis for individual invitation meetings, with token prize money offered (just like UK grasstrack).  This perhaps is not dissimilar to the ideas of the IoW promotion ....  but this is where the sport is heading, and what the public will pay to watch in numbers.

People want an afternoon/evening out, to be entertained, with plenty of track action, and not be be subjected to 15 drawn out heats of tyre warming , 2 minute warnings, separated every 3/4 heats by tractor racing.

I’m not his biggest fan but I must admit all the issues that Buster had during his tenure he seem to manage to solve by talking ! So far, I believe he’s ignored every request to talk since March. My way or the highway ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Whilst I do believe the current regime are failing to lead the sport in the right direction to say they want to turn it fully amateur is just completely wrong. I get that you have understandable issues with the top table but they are in it because they love the sport and hope to make a few Bob, but I doubt they do make much and so why kill the golden goose ? for want of a better term.

I can foresee a crisis coming but perhaps that’s what we need so it can be rebuilt a new, hopefully !

On their terms.

Had they acted with due process and in the best interests of the sport rather than pure selfishness, this situation almost certainly would not have occurred. 

• Like 1

One problem with British speedway is that it is NOT organised as clubs, as in Poland. I was once told by a promoter - and this is when it was in the National League - that "*** Speedway is a commercial organisation ... it does not do training". Which, of course, explains the attitude of most promoters, who comprise the membership of the BSPL.

• Like 2

Barry and Chris...

i have a very simple outlook on "feedback" based on decades of being in the retail business, and it's this...

If you ever get criticised by anyone who has a track record of success in your field, then listen to them and respect their opinion...

If they don't have a record of success in your field then their opinion of you is utterly worthless...

Based upon opinions here and elsewhere, it looks to me that everyone wants Isle of Wight to stage their planned meetings - all except a few members of the BSPL, that is (I am far from convinced that it applies to all of them). 

With one track suspending fixtures, another reporting heavy losses and a very real possibility that the 21 June deadline will be extended, you would think they would have more important matters to consider and being doing everything possible to ensure as much Speedway as possible takes place.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Based upon opinions here and elsewhere, it looks to me that everyone wants Isle of Wight to stage their planned meetings - all except a few members of the BSPL, that is (I am far from convinced that it applies to all of them). 

With one track suspending fixtures, another reporting heavy losses and a very real possibility that the 21 June deadline will be extended, you would think they would have more important matters to consider and being doing everything possible to ensure as much Speedway as possible takes place.

I have always been an advocate of a more flexible speedway season. I have stated for over a decade here that it should be possible for tracks to run outside, but alongside a league system. Some in power are totally against that 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

I have always been an advocate of a more flexible speedway season. I have stated for over a decade here that it should be possible for tracks to run outside, but alongside a league system. Some in power are totally against that 

Open licence tracks were commonplace when i started going to speedway.

• Like 1

Why not let IOW do what they want to do, and have someone independent there to see how it all goes and if anything new could be tried in any of the leagues? Let's be honest speedway needs something new, and also tracks to be better prepared. 

• Like 5

As the exit from the NL looks to have started, hopefully only one, but think there could be more to go, makes the IOW decision even more stupid really.

14 minutes ago, gazzac said:

As the exit from the NL looks to have started, hopefully only one, but think there could be more to go, makes the IOW decision even more stupid really.

Want to expand on that a little more? Newcastle are cost cutting because they have a non attractive CL team on display, sadly despite reduced costs via double headers there still isn't that much backing for the NL side either. Surely this justifies IOW's decision to step out because they weren't able to have a say on what makes a saleable product and brings into question those who had a say on things and whether they really know what they are talking about.

• Like 1