British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

2 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

So Martin Widman on Facebook is saying that NL riders can ride on the Island with written permission of their club which should not be unreasonably withheld. So the stumbling block has been switched from the BSPL / SCB to the NL clubs. Wonder have many NL sides will cooperate? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Strange that they should require permission when they can go Grass Tracking etc. without needing permission.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:05 PM, HGould said:

I've seen great double headers and awful ones, I always think you are hostage to fortune if anything untoward happens in first meeting.

Putting that aside I have some sympathy as the League was set up for a season starting in April and as it didn't start until late May (even later in case of Mildenhall) it means a lot less available dates. Presumably most NDL matches would have been standalone otherwise.

Len Silvers comments in Speedway Star i think are more a plea for a league he can take Kent back in to in 2022 rather than anything developmental. He's struggling to build a competitive Championship side and could build the typically strong NDL team.

I would expect to see Kent NDL only in 2022 if he gets his way; and possibly Newcastle a few other sides too.

Birmingham, Plymouth; Eastbourne ; Berwick;  too may be might prefer a return to NDL only?? (add in Mildenhall and IOW and hopefully Bradford and Oxford)

My suspicion is Isle of Wight will only go back if there is a major change in the leadership of the BSPL - because their real issue is just how this seasons changes were imposed on NDL clubs -  or, at the very least, a guarantee that NDL teams will be allowed to decide their own rules, regulations and procedures without interference from those who have no financial involvement in that league whatsoever.

To me, the former is reasonable but unlikely; the latter should be nailed on. 

On 6/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, Dickie Head said:

So Martin Widman on Facebook is saying that NL riders can ride on the Island with written permission of their club which should not be unreasonably withheld. So the stumbling block has been switched from the BSPL / SCB to the NL clubs. Wonder have many NL sides will cooperate? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I must admit I can't see anything in Martin's posts about 'unreasonably withheld' but I am certain that in Speedy Star Rob Godfrey made it clear that it is a matter for clubs and not the BSPL.

It looks to me that Isle of Wight have just possibly called a bluff there, and it will be interesting to see if any attached riders do take the offer up and what the reaction - if any - will be.

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

My suspicion is Isle of Wight will only go back if there is a major change in the leadership of the BSPL - because their real issue is just how this seasons changes were imposed on NDL clubs -  or, at the very least, a guarantee that NDL teams will be allowed to decide their own rules, regulations and procedures without interference from those who have no financial involvement in that league whatsoever.

To me, the former is reasonable but unlikely; the latter should be nailed on. 

I must admit I can't see anything in Martin's posts about 'unreasonably withheld' but I am certain that in Speedy Star Rob Godfrey made it clear that it is a matter for clubs and not the BSPL.

It looks to me that Isle of Wight have just possibly called a bluff there, and it will be interesting to see if any attached riders do take the offer up and what the reaction - if any - will be.

If the top 16 riders in the NL rode at IoW what could the promotors do to them? Ban them? Good luck finding a guests as all the top riders will be banned! Would the fans then turn up for a team of 5 or 6 3.00 riders?

Edited by szkocjasid

31 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

If the top 16 riders in the NL rode at IoW what could the promotors do to them? Ban them? Good luck finding a guests as all the top riders will be banned! Would the fans then turn up for a team of 5 or 6 3.00 riders?

That would be a clear case of "Restriction of Trade"...totally illegal under UK law...for many years British Speedway has lived in fear of a rider or an outside interest testing the whole system in the courts.... every rider is self employed and cannot be restricted where he can sell his skills.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

4 hours ago, spiegal said:

That would be a clear case of "Restriction of Trade"...totally illegal under UK law...for many years British Speedway has lived in fear of a rider or an outside interest testing the whole system in the courts.... every rider is self employed and cannot be restricted where he can sell his skills.

Spiegal is dead right; it is a clear case of restraint of trade. The problem might be that riders simply aren't willing to risk any potential action, however illegal it might be.

In addition, there could be under the table sanctions taken in that riders might not be offered contracts in the future. 

The way I see it, if one rider does agree to ride on the Island  we could well see the flood gates open. 

Isle of Wight are running meetings this summer, so I will take the opportunity to wish them every success. They deserve it. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Spiegal is dead right; it is a clear case of restraint of trade. The problem might be that riders simply aren't willing to risk any potential action, however illegal it might be.

In addition, there could be under the table sanctions taken in that riders might not be offered contracts in the future. 

The way I see it, if one rider does agree to ride on the Island  we could well see the flood gates open. 

Isle of Wight are running meetings this summer, so I will take the opportunity to wish them every success. They deserve it. 

It would only take one rider ! Maybe if Len Silver is serious about challenging the current Status Quo he could sanction the use of Ryan Kinsley ? The Lord knows the lad needs the rides and test the theory 

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

With so much talk if lack of riders due to covid / Polish rules, isn't this the time for riders to stand up for themselves & support Speedway on the Island!

• Like 3

Fingers crossed that those riders with Island connections make the first leap. Plenty of ex Warriors and away riders who made the most of the extra laps available to them. Will only take a brave few to get the ball rolling. Just hope riders remember those who have provided opportunities to them in the past. 

• Like 2