British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

Regarding Buxton, does anyone know if other people have asked about running a team there since it closed? Or is it a case of the Moss family or nothing?

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

It will be interesting to see how many times "30 heats of Speedway" actually get completed for those who run the double headers..
Maybe they should put the NL meeting on first? That would provide some motivation to ensure all done I am sure..
Simon Wigg always said there should be 'The Starter' before 'The Main Course'...
And if an argument against it is there may be delays to the main meeting due to a possibility of more fallers, then these lads shouldn't be riding in the first place at a team level..

I think the argument against running the NDL meeting first in recent times has more to do with the amount of shale (or lack of if) on the track. By the time the second meeting is run the track is like a badger's bum.
This came to my notice when listening to interviews with junior riders who were used to racing after the seniors in double headers or second halves. I was surprised to hear these lads saying they would have to get used to riding with some shale on the track when they moved up to riding on a track earlier in the procedings.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I think the argument against running the NDL meeting first in recent times has more to do with the amount of shale (or lack of if) on the track. By the time the second meeting is run the track is like a badger's bum.
This came to my notice when listening to interviews with junior riders who were used to racing after the seniors in double headers or second halves. I was surprised to hear these lads saying they would have to get used to riding with some shale on the track when they moved up to riding on a track earlier in the procedings.

Heard pretty much the same, and I think I some double team tracks do prepare the track a bit slicker for their NDL side..

If 'the powers that be' are serious though about bringing the talent through, and also serious in actually providing a quality, value for money entertainment package for the fans, then they should completely relay the track between meetings and give both meetings the same amount of focus..

As I said previously, if riders fall off because the track isnt bereft of shale and billiard ball smooth, then they really shouldn't be out there in the first place..

Edited by mikebv

Instead of going on and on, bemoaning a lowering of rider quality and the regrettable loss of a club as a result of the drop in team averages, should we not be welcoming Newcastle and Armadale (after more than 15 years) and Berwick (after quarter of a century!) back to boost the division?     

If this format suits the majority, and can be seen to work this year, we might hope and pray that any such success can draw the loW and maybe Buxton back into a revitalised NL structure in 2022?

Always look on the bright side (whistle) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

If this format suits the majority, and can be seen to work this year, we might hope and pray that any such success can draw the loW and maybe Buxton back into a revitalised NL structure in 2022?

If the new format works this year and next and beyond i will happily state that my misgivings were unfounded and that the powers that be did indeed make the right choices for British speedway. 

If of course in a year or two the league is a shambolic unworkable shell i hope that the powers that be will be gracious enough to admit that they were in the wrong also.

off subject but just found out also the riders that paid over £130 for their licences last year without putting a leg over their bikes have now got to do the same this year not even a discount shocking from the scb what if it ends up not going ahead this year it’s hard times for everybody not just the governing body 

Edited by mac101
  • Sad 3

36 minutes ago, mac101 said:

off subject but just found out also the riders that paid over £130 for their licences last year without putting a leg over their bikes have now got to do the same this year not even a discount shocking from the scb what if it ends up not going ahead this year it’s hard times for everybody not just the governing body 

ACU, rather than SCB, but I agree that would be shocking.

44 minutes ago, mac101 said:

That's not as I understand it . If you rode at anytime last year whilst holding a licence you have to pay this year practice is classed as riding . If you didn't ride at all I believe there is some form of credit. This may have changed but that was how it was explained to me.

52 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

ACU, rather than SCB, but I agree that would be shocking.

you have to  buy 2 licenses 1 from the acu and 1 from the scb 

Edited by mac101

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

It will be interesting to see how many times "30 heats of Speedway" actually get completed for those who run the double headers..

Maybe they should put the NL meeting on first? That would provide some motivation to ensure all done I am sure..

Simon Wigg always said there should be 'The Starter' before 'The Main Course'...

And if an argument against it is there may be delays to the main meeting due to a possibility of more fallers, then these lads shouldn't be riding in the first place at a team level..

As it looks like quite a few teams will be having double headers with championship and national league matches would it not make sense to run the national league matches to the old 13 heat formula with either 6 or 7 rider teams.Might just help to get full meeting over in alloted time if curfews are an issue.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Instead of going on and on, bemoaning a lowering of rider quality and the regrettable loss of a club as a result of the drop in team averages, should we not be welcoming Newcastle and Armadale (after more than 15 years) and Berwick (after quarter of a century!) back to boost the division?     

Always look on the bright side (whistle) 

The thing is that a 35pt limit is unsustainable year on year. Every season in the region of 20 new riders (accepting that there are 7 teams) will be required and numerous lads from the preceding season will be dumped because their  averages don't fit. 

One thing is certain : if the Isle of Wight promotion refused to ride using a 35pt limit this season, its very unlikely they will run in 2022 using the same figure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

Almost all I suspect (Newcastle have apparently confirmed that).

The thing is with a double header you pay one set of match fees. I am not sure if the ambulance costs would be the same, but doubt they would be double.

Run them separately and you would have to charge a minimum of £10 while persuading your Championship fans to support a lower standard of rider with a team based upon a low points limit and effectively have a full set of additional costs.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Another statement from Barry Bishop here after the comments by Jason Pipe in this week’s Speedway Star.

‘Of course it is 100% our business to know why we didn’t take part of the NL in 2021 and leave the BSPL. We know why, that’s why we left.

However, I have to say that if I was coordinating anything from a picnic to a trip to Mars and one of the most popular, level headed members of my team/association, who incidentally was a big award winner, including amongst my peers, decided to leave and leave the governing body, I would at the very least want to know exactly why that member had left. Why would I do this......

1. To find out why they left for example - better pay, better organisation, interpersonal issues, bullying, corruption, job opportunities, lack of progress or personal development - you know this sort of thing.

2. To find out how I can improve my picnics or trips to Mars so that my other valuable members don’t follow suit and leave too.

3. For my own self development and the betterment of whatever I was organising. Where have I gone wrong or how can I improve. 

But no, back in the real world, not one Director of the BSPL or its “coordinator” gave a hoot if we left or not. You see, not one of them contacted us, spoke to us, emailed us, called us, texted us, watsap’d us, or sent a pigeon. Because they view it as “it was our business to know why we had left”......... NO ITS YOUR BUSINESS TOO..... a question in itself.... 

Then there is a final question, is the leadership of the National League and BSPL fit for purpose ? Fit to lead the sport out of its current position....?

I also note that none of the 8 teams taking part said a word of the 35 point limit, yet unless I have enjoyed very vivid dreams with fellow promoters and people throughout the sport, we know (and NL fans know) this isn’t true - so why keep up the false pretence that this was agreed and not imposed with no other option. Take it or leave it.’

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Another statement from Barry Bishop here after the comments by Jason Pipe in this week’s Speedway Star.

‘Of course it is 100% our business to know why we didn’t take part of the NL in 2021 and leave the BSPL. We know why, that’s why we left.

However, I have to say that if I was coordinating anything from a picnic to a trip to Mars and one of the most popular, level headed members of my team/association, who incidentally was a big award winner, including amongst my peers, decided to leave and leave the governing body, I would at the very least want to know exactly why that member had left. Why would I do this......

1. To find out why they left for example - better pay, better organisation, interpersonal issues, bullying, corruption, job opportunities, lack of progress or personal development - you know this sort of thing.

2. To find out how I can improve my picnics or trips to Mars so that my other valuable members don’t follow suit and leave too.

3. For my own self development and the betterment of whatever I was organising. Where have I gone wrong or how can I improve. 

But no, back in the real world, not one Director of the BSPL or its “coordinator” gave a hoot if we left or not. You see, not one of them contacted us, spoke to us, emailed us, called us, texted us, watsap’d us, or sent a pigeon. Because they view it as “it was our business to know why we had left”......... NO ITS YOUR BUSINESS TOO..... a question in itself.... 

Then there is a final question, is the leadership of the National League and BSPL fit for purpose ? Fit to lead the sport out of its current position....?

I also note that none of the 8 teams taking part said a word of the 35 point limit, yet unless I have enjoyed very vivid dreams with fellow promoters and people throughout the sport, we know (and NL fans know) this isn’t true - so why keep up the false pretence that this was agreed and not imposed with no other option. Take it or leave it.’

What do people expect when the person running the league NDL is a total disaster and doesn't do anything good for the sport. 

7 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

What do people expect when the person running the league NDL is a total disaster and doesn't do anything good for the sport. 

Love him or loath him, He is a ‘ volunteer ‘ and as such tries his best no doubt but shouldn’t a so called professional sport be run by professionals ?