British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Rugby Union and Cricket run their leagues with the best players expected to be missing for a good portion of the season.. 

What they both have going for them though is the fact that internationally both sports have done "pretty well" over the past couple of decades which then allows their domestic games to feed off their success..  

And media coverage and sponsorship filter down to their level too...

A very successful "Great Britain" in Speedway is really the only way the sport domestically will get interest and prosper again..

I agree with this to an extent, the only way we will get main stream media coverage in this country is with either a winning international team or individual.

Tai had some good exposure on TV and media like Talk sport but the problem now is if we do well at international level, neither Tai or Lambert race in the UK so punters can't go and watch them live in this country.

If we can get exposure with our top stars we can hardly promote them with a "riding this week at insert club here" as they won't be riding here anytime soon..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M.D said:

I agree with this to an extent, the only way we will get main stream media coverage in this country is with either a winning international team or individual.

Tai had some good exposure on TV and media like Talk sport but the problem now is if we do well at international level, neither Tai or Lambert race in the UK so punters can't go and watch them live in this country.

If we can get exposure with our top stars we can hardly promote them with a "riding this week at insert club here" as they won't be riding here anytime soon..

I think it will need that virtuous circle of more publicity, meaning more fans, meaning more large sponsors, meaning more money to spend, meaning more high profile riders coming back, meaning more publicity, etc etc...

A long way off but that surely has to be the overall master plan going forward hasn't it?

Or maybe every track getting a 100 or so more a night which delivers in lots of places double digit % growth, will be seen as a measure of success, and therefore means everything is rosy and the sport is booming again...?

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think it will need that virtuous circle of more publicity, meaning more fans, meaning more large sponsors, meaning more money to spend, meaning more high profile riders coming back, meaning more publicity, etc etc...

A long way off but that surely has to be the overall master plan going forward hasn't it?

Or maybe every track getting a 100 or so more a night which delivers in lots of places double digit % growth, will be seen as a measure of success, and therefore means everything is rosy and the sport is booming again...?

I think we won't see high level exposure from the media for the sport for a while.

Clubs need to promote the sport more in their own back yard first before the bigger picture of national exposure can be achieved. 

I know its my club but Eastbourne are doing things the right way and moving forward, they are doing a lot of work in various areas, some with success some with none but they are trying very hard to promote the club and sport.

Difficult but I know the numbers for advanced tickets for the first two meetings are very encouraging with a lot of lost fans returning and thats a start..

WIGHTLINK WARRIORS SUMMER SPECTACULARS AT RISK

After the incredible support shown to the Wightlink Warriors following their withdrawal from speedway's National League (NL), news that the plans for the summer spectacular of racing are at risk will come as a huge blow to many fans across the UK, and especially our loyal fans and supporters on the Isle of Wight. The reason is not Covid this time, or a lack of interest, but it's a lack of suitable riders who are concerned at the threat of possible sanctions.

Warriors Co-owner Barry Bishop explained, "After the news that the Directors of the British Speedway Promoters would allow amateur status riders to come to the Isle of Wight to participate in our events, everyone associated with the club was delighted, and the feedback from the public was that it was a great move for the sport and rider development. With riders literally chomping at the bit to ride on the Island to improve their skills, get more track time and competitive racing under their belts, we now find that the BSPL appear to view the NL riders contractually in the same way as Premiership and Championship riders even though NL riders are classed as amateur and not professional, with clubs stopping riders from coming to the Island. If you recall, we were delighted that a way forward with the BSPL was found as the NL has always been presented as amateur with riders being paid effectively expenses but this, we are told now is not the case and NL riders have the same professional status as Premier and Championship riders.

To be honest the threats being made to some riders should they come to the Island are really very sad to see ranging from receiving bans or fines for stepping into the stadium (to support us) to participating in a meeting that "could lead to a ban or a fine" - and even practising at Smallbrook could incur the same measures being imposed which is in complete contradiction to what the regulating body have told us. Only yesterday, another new reason for refusing permission to ride emerged when the charging of entrance fees and payment of riders became an issue. With full medical cover and ferry costs to meet, along with all the other costs of a stadium, why wouldn't we charge spectators to watch an evening of entertainment?

The future now is unclear with riders being prevented from racing by rules that the BSPL clubs and riders do not appear to be aware of - there is no defined statement. The Warriors are being prevented from entertaining our fans which will include some of the expected large number of holidaymakers this year, and our sport overall goes a little further downhill.

In an ideal world, there needs to be a public statement from the Speedway Control Bureau (SCB)/BSPL immediately telling riders what the rule is with regards to coming to the island as even non contracted riders are hesitating about coming over. All BSPL riders are self-employed and permission from their promoters to do other events may not be unreasonably withheld and coming to the island would be in our view be no different than participating in a grass track, road race, motocross, banger racing, international events and other Nora events. It should not be the case of you can only do one or the other as riders are being told.

With the recent dreadful news of Somerset closing, we cannot understand why the BSPL would want to prevent riders racing, fans being entertained, sponsors being advertised, and another club prosper/saved. Perhaps it is the opposite they wish for?

We would like to say that we are happy to meet with the BSPL to discuss things; we have spoken to the SCB and Auto Cycle Union already. However, we are continuing to work on our options and are in constant dialogue with the teams that have committed to support us in Challenge matches and who in our view are vital to the future of the sport, and an update will be issued as soon as more information is available and a revised start date”.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 7

Sounds like 1963 when the promoters said that they would black any NL RIDER that rode on a provincial league track.

After 15 months without live speedway, you would have thought they would let the IOW RUN THE MEETINGS.

Shame on the BSPL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yet another example of idiocy by the governing bodies. If speedway was considered a sport as a whole by all promotions rather than their personal interests then we would be in a far greater place. Additional laps for NL grade riders can only be a benefit to their own NDL teams, a well run production engaging existing a new fans is a benefit to the sport as a whole. The IOW haven't pitched up next to an existing track and are trying to take away business, they are not trying to harm the sport in any way in fact they are trying to help it grow.

If a rider doesn't fancy a night on the Island due to whatever reason then fine but at least give them the option.

• Like 5

Surely this doesn’t come as any surprise?

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Surely this doesn’t come as any surprise?

Not at all but they needed to let their supporters know what’s going on and why !! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It doesn't to me.

I maintain, though, that any restriction - be that ban or fine - is illegal within the terms of UK case law Greig v Insole (1978).

https://www.lawteacher.net/cases/greig-v-insole.php

Unfortunately whatever the legal position may be, you have young people starting off in the sport who do not have the money to test the situation having spent a fortune on equipment etc. and are/will be scared by these threats from what are older bullies who if the same was said to their sons or daughters they would be up in arms about it. The idea that the sport is professionally run is questionable as is the practices of those who make the rules and looking at the issues with injured riders and questions over whether some teams can field seven riders you really have to ask what risk assessments were carried out before they decided to run the league format this year given the potential rider shortage. One can only sympathise with the IOW and the dilemma they now find themselves in once again seemingly because someone somewhere has gone back on their word. I hope they call pull it off using foreign speedway riders and short track riders and sidecars and have fortnightly spectaculars throughout the rest of the summer. Take heart that the current speedway format is old hat, bad for business and short changes the punters. Keep the faith and the vision.

• Like 7

Firstly may i say i am not surprised by this at all, so the BSPL are happy to allow amateur riders to ride over on the IOW Speedway thats them appearing to be the good guys, but then at the same time they decide to define NL level riders as professional riders thereby denying the IOW access to these riders, and denying these young amateur riders the opportunity to get riding experience, so yet again the BSPL are wearing two hats. 

Lets be honest guys they the BSPL are doing exactly what was done in 1963, they are crapping themselves just in case the IOW make a success of there venture, hence the alleged threats to riders that they may be fined or even banned even if they set foot in the Stadium, In my opinion the BSPL would rather see a Track close than succeed outside of the confines of the BSPL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

Unfortunately whatever the legal position may be, you have young people starting off in the sport who do not have the money to test the situation having spent a fortune on equipment etc. and are/will be scared by these threats from what are older bullies who if the same was said to their sons or daughters they would be up in arms about it. The idea that the sport is professionally run is questionable as is the practices of those who make the rules and looking at the issues with injured riders and questions over whether some teams can field seven riders you really have to ask what risk assessments were carried out before they decided to run the league format this year given the potential rider shortage. One can only sympathise with the IOW and the dilemma they now find themselves in once again seemingly because someone somewhere has gone back on their word. I hope they call pull it off using foreign speedway riders and short track riders and sidecars and have fortnightly spectaculars throughout the rest of the summer. Take heart that the current speedway format is old hat, bad for business and short changes the punters. Keep the faith and the vision.

and that’s exactly what they’ve done ! Scare the riders enough to sow doubt that they don’t really need to ban the riders just sit back and watch the fall out. This seems to have turned into a personal crusade for one man. Well I hope Barry & Martin fight on and take it all the way and I hope ‘for the good of the sport’ they get lots of backing !! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TMW said:

and that’s exactly what they’ve done ! Scare the riders enough to sow doubt that they don’t really need to ban the riders just sit back and watch the fall out. This seems to have turned into a personal crusade for one man. Well I hope Barry & Martin fight on and take it all the way and I hope ‘for the good of the sport’ they get lots of backing !! 

Yes and it seems (Ghost Teams not allowed) dont apply when they ride at Scunthorpe, one rule for everyone else but another rule for him...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Yes and it seems (Ghost Teams not allowed) dont apply when they ride at Scunthorpe, one rule for everyone else but another rule for him...

What ghost teams have ridden at scunthorpe recently 

I understand that a by the name of Scunthorpe Stags rode against Crayford Kestrels very recently, at Scunny.

• Like 1