British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

43 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Its been alledged as a new track to league racing....? Odsal wont be ready and isnt new.  Lydd wouldn't get a license so can likely only be northside or the other training track thats up north and i forgetvits name?

If Northside opened a nl side it would be carnage... its TINY would only get like 100-200 spectators at most too and the car park is basically non existent

Is this new track a NEW track to any league racing or just new to the nl?

Sounds like the nl may be a decent size then?

Also duns is the other training track up here... and it's just as small

Edited by Dandelion
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

There are only 4 dates reserved for BNL racing in Leicester's fixture list

I think a lot of clubs who are attempting to track two sides might struggle to get all the fixtures in. I hope the league doesn't get split into North / South groups as 6 fixtures wouldn't be worth it for many riders or spectators 

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

If Northside opened a nl side it would be carnage... its TINY would only get like 100-200 spectators at most too and the car park is basically non existent

Is this new track a NEW track to any league racing or just new to the nl?

Sounds like the nl may be a decent size then?

There are no set dimensions for a track length and northside has previously had junior league and British youth championship racing held there so it must have conformed at that point 

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

There are no set dimensions for a track length and northside has previously had junior league and British youth championship racing held there slit must have conformed at that point 

I know that. It's a decent little track, been there many, many times... but I feel british youth round are all it should handle. National league meetings are a different thing all together... would be good to see but I just dont see it happening. I assume the track dimensions are legal in terms of the rules, but safe and interesting? Probably not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

I know that. It's a decent little track, been there many, many times... but I feel british youth round are all it should handle. National league meetings are a different thing all together... would be good to see but I just dont see it happening. I assume the track dimensions are legal in terms of the rules, but safe and interesting? Probably not

So it's safe for kids but not adults :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

There are only 4 dates reserved for BNL racing in Leicester's fixture list

That could be workable if there was an 8 team league with 3 full members (Belle Vue, Mildenhall, IOW) able/looking to run a whole season and 5 (reserve teams) only looking for 4 home fixtures.

The 5 only host matches against other reserve teams for 4 home fixtures. With their remaining 'home' fixtures taking place at the full members tracks, i.e. they visit Belle Vue, Mildenhall & IOW twice.

So reserve teams would in reality have 4 home and 10 away fixtures.  And the full members would have 12 home fixtures and only 2 away fixtures. Not ideal but you end up with a final table in which every team has met its opponents twice over the season.  

There was a big article in the speedway star at the back end of last year where the owner of Northside revealed his plans to build a big track on spare land on the site and eventually build up the facilities and stage League racing there. - This indicates that the current track wouldn't be the track used for a League team there!

This takes us back to the ludicrous poster who suggests scrapping the 3rd tier of British speedway, one of the best innovations in speedway ever, something that should have been done 15- 20 years earlier, a League that enabled clubs to reopen/ open in a cheaper viable set up and has provided the stepping stone for many young riders including Britains most successful rider Tai Woffinden! - In the the case of Northside,  I presume that a League side there would be called the Workington Comets beings its in the Town and that was the name of the long running speedway team that used to race at Derwent Park in the town until it closed a couple of years ago due to low crowds making it unprofitable. - Now do you think that anyone would be willing to restart a previously unprofitable speedway team if the 3rd Division didn't exist meaning they would only have two options being the Championship, the very League Workington were unprofitable in or the Premiership which is probably even more expensive to run in?

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

There are no set dimensions for a track length and northside has previously had junior league and British youth championship racing held there so it must have conformed at that point 

Watching the riders wrestle with a 500cc at Northside was interesting!

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think a lot of clubs who are attempting to track two sides might struggle to get all the fixtures in. I hope the league doesn't get split into North / South groups as 6 fixtures wouldn't be worth it for many riders or spectators 

It certainly could be a struggle if the start of the season is delayed. Some tracks can run double headers, others like Kent can't.

2 hours ago, enotian said:

That could be workable if there was an 8 team league with 3 full members (Belle Vue, Mildenhall, IOW) able/looking to run a whole season and 5 (reserve teams) only looking for 4 home fixtures.

The 5 only host matches against other reserve teams for 4 home fixtures. With their remaining 'home' fixtures taking place at the full members tracks, i.e. they visit Belle Vue, Mildenhall & IOW twice.

So reserve teams would in reality have 4 home and 10 away fixtures.  And the full members would have 12 home fixtures and only 2 away fixtures. Not ideal but you end up with a final table in which every team has met its opponents twice over the season.  

The problem being that home gates have to pay home and away points. Not going to get much backing for a team that only has 4 home fixtures anyway without the additional away costs.

6 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

So it's safe for kids but not adults :rolleyes:

No it's safe for 125s/250s but not 500s imo... not four 500s in one race anyway

10 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

No it's safe for 125s/250s but not 500s imo... not four 500s in one race anyway

From what I'm told it will be a bigger track at the back and also they have got all the shale from workington?

28 minutes ago, Binman said:

Northside learns the rider throttle control and respect for other riders

I know... but it still wouldn't make for safe or interesting nl meetings

28 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

From what I'm told it will be a bigger track at the back and also they have got all the shale from workington?

Genuinely hope this is true. I do like northside and visited a lot when the Bickleys were in charge