British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny the spud

Customs clearance

With checks now having to be made as the UK has third country status in terms of the EU. Will that mean that riders will have to go back to the old days of getting a carnet stamped before crossing into Europe ? 

I can remember long waits at the customs having every frame / engine number checked etc.  

will this need to be tested / looked into before the start of an already delayed season to make sure that no riders are stuck at ports ? 

40 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

With checks now having to be made as the UK has third country status in terms of the EU. Will that mean that riders will have to go back to the old days of getting a carnet stamped before crossing into Europe ? 

I can remember long waits at the customs having every frame / engine number checked etc.  

will this need to be tested / looked into before the start of an already delayed season to make sure that no riders are stuck at ports ? 

Wouldn't that be an obvious part of the BSPL's remit to inform all riders of Brexit implications? 

Or maybe even the ACU? 

Surely any umbrella organisation will know the regulations and share them with everyone registered? 

• Like 1

Been reading in the banger forums that the Carnet is going to cost from 265 quid to 390 plus vat. But there are exemptions for elite level sports, so speedway may get away with that as British government has deemed the top 2 leagues as elite.

Grass/longtrack trips to the continental defiantly look set to get a darn sight dearer I think.

On 1/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, teaboy279 said:

... the Carnet is going to cost from 265 quid to 390 plus vat....

And it's not just this is it? Next time you want to go abroad for any reason, the charges made by credit card companies for European transactions will have increased FIVEfold. So when you book with a European airline (including Ryanair, Wizzair etc) or when you book a hotel online, or book a train fare, or even buy the SGP ticket online, YOU will be hit with these increased charges.

But hey, at least we've got our country back, eh? :o 

Next time you talk to a Brexit voter, don't forget to thank them very much. Their vote is what's led to this.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

And it's not just this is it? Next time you want to go abroad for any reason, the charges made by credit card companies for European transactions will have increased FIVEfold. So when you book with a European airline (including Ryanair, Wizzair etc) or when you book a hotel online, or book a train fare, or even buy the SGP ticket online, YOU will be hit with these increased charges.

Next time you talk to a Brexit voter, don't forget to thank them very much. Their vote is what's led to this.

Just use a debit card instead ;), never had to pay any charges when iv gone to Asia which aint part of EU..

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

There is nothing to stop the UK government imposing the same charge limits on Credit Cards.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, teaboy279 said:

Been reading in the banger forums that the Carnet is going to cost from 265 quid to 390 plus vat. But there are exemptions for elite level sports, so speedway may get away with that as British government has deemed the top 2 leagues as elite.

Grass/longtrack trips to the continental defiantly look set to get a darn sight dearer I think.

I am sure I have read somewhere that the Carnet lasts  for 12months ?   

Could be wrong, but if true that wouldn't be so bad a cost for a rider over a season  { Tax deductable as well ? }

Riders from UK have been doing Continental meetings since the 1950s { before EU was invented } so I am sure they can find a way , if they want to

I am an optimist, I think when cross-channel traffic get back to normal { after Covid } , a lot of things will be smoothed out , compromises made etc. { it is in both sides interest }

Plus some  people will find loopholes & ways of bending rules if necessary

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, djr said:

I am sure I have read somewhere that the Carnet lasts  for 12months ?   

Could be wrong, but if true that wouldn't be so bad a cost for a rider over a season  { Tax deductable as well ? }

Riders from UK have been doing Continental meetings since the 1950s { before EU was invented } so I am sure they can find a way , if they want to

I am an optimist, I think when cross-channel traffic get back to normal { after Covid } , a lot of things will be smoothed out , compromises made etc. { it is in both sides interest }

Plus some  people will find loopholes & ways of bending rules if necessary

Even if the carnet does last a year it’s still a ball ache, I know riders have ridden abroad before... I was one of them.
Every bike frame / engine number had to be on the corner with long waits at the border etc.... 

I’ve also been the organizer when you get a call on Friday morning saying ‘can you race on Sunday in Germany’ , just organizing ferry’s/ tunnels, time off work, bike prep etc is hard enough with having to add the “fun” of customs to it all. 

still... blue passports eh? 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Gambo said:

There is nothing to stop the UK government imposing the same charge limits on Credit Cards.

What's it got to do with the Government (other than that's who everyone wants to blame when they don't want to accept responsibility for what they've done themselves)?

At the end of the day what Mastercard and Visa (both American companies) charge for their banking facilities is their business, If additional costs have been imposed on them, by people choosing to ignore "project fear" and voting for Brexit, then they'll recoup them in the charges that they make.

It's got everything to do with the government.

The EU imposed the CC limits, and now that we are no longer a member of the EU, the UK government CAN set the same limit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Even if the carnet does last a year it’s still a ball ache, I know riders have ridden abroad before... I was one of them.
Every bike frame / engine number had to be on the corner with long waits at the border etc.... 

I’ve also been the organizer when you get a call on Friday morning saying ‘can you race on Sunday in Germany’ , just organizing ferry’s/ tunnels, time off work, bike prep etc is hard enough with having to add the “fun” of customs to it all. 

still... blue passports eh? 

Is it really that much of a ball ache ?

the Carnet lasts 12 months , you get one at the start of the season and away you go { if your a pro rider the cost should be tax deductable }

As for - long waits at the border , I have travelled to many countries around the world that are non EU ,

but the only place I have had long waits ,many times from Customs,  is at Calais , BEFORE BREXIT WHEN WE WERE IN THE EU

So for me personally , if I had to wait ages at Calais , it would just remind of the good old days when we were in the EU

Was notified the other day that I can get an ATA boomerang carnet for £175.

As for the checks considering the number of stolen bikes leaving the UK I'm all for it. Way more than half the people I know with off road bikes have had one or more stolen. Its a massive international business and anything that makes it more difficult can only be good.

The past few years driving a van full of bikes across Europe has been easy. Unfortunately just as easy for criminals as racers. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vince said:

Was notified the other day that I can get an ATA boomerang carnet for £175.

As for the checks considering the number of stolen bikes leaving the UK I'm all for it. Way more than half the people I know with off road bikes have had one or more stolen. Its a massive international business and anything that makes it more difficult can only be good.

The past few years driving a van full of bikes across Europe has been easy. Unfortunately just as easy for criminals as racers. 

Good point you make regarding the checks on bikes , considering the amount of stolen bikes heading to Europe

Hopefully more checks will also find some of the many stolen Sprinter & Transit vans that end up in Poland , Romania etc.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, Gambo said:

It's got everything to do with the government.

The EU imposed the CC limits, and now that we are no longer a member of the EU, the UK government CAN set the same limit.

Please explain exactly how and why the EU imposed credit card "limits"? Were they to benefit the customer from being ripped off by the credit card companies charging whatever they wanted? And wasn't it precisely this kind of EU non-elected official tinkering with our lives that the Great British Public rebelled against and voted not to have anything to do with this any more? So now you want the British Government to rebel against the people who rebelled on their behalf? 

No, the will of the people was that they didn't want EU laws interfering with the British way of life. So there you have it...the rough and the smooth of it.