British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Lewis Bridger Returns

I recall Eric Boocock making an unsuccessful comeback after having been retired for eight years?

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

As I am sure Norbold will confirm Ronnie cams back virtually world class after a 6 year retirement ,  but as far as I recall he is very much the exception that proves the rule. Others have come back with varying degrees of success , but I struggle to think of any  ( apart from arguably Todd Wiltshire) that really came back as a force to be reckoned with.

Ian the context of Lewis , my mind continually goes back to his final comments when he last retired. He said the kneck injury he suffered in a fall a Berwick meant that he would wake up in pain every day for the rest of his life. That might have improved by now but one awkward fall is likely to knock a hole in his confidence, then it will,probably be all down hill.

I actually like Lewis.He is a good rider and has been generally a good servant to the sport ,  but I can’t see any way a comeback is going to succeed , apart from beating juniors and reserves in a weakened league.

Have to say I've never seen Lewis Bridger ride but remember reading that "Mad" Malcolm Ballard was once his spanner man?

52 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Taylor Poole; Jason Lyons??

Dakota North...

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Presumably you seeing as you opened the thread and commented on it :D 

Not guilty. Falcon 1983 started the thread, i just commented on it. Being a Lakeside and Eastbourne regular, i have seen enough over the years.

13 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Dakota North...

William Lawson? He looked a real talent while riding for the Newcastle Gems had a few seasons in the old PL and then retired, and came back last year with Edinburgh. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong but think he might've retired when he spent the season at Berwick as #1 and is now a reserve. Although I think his machinery leaves a lot to be desired at times.

Lewis was flying when he changed from Jawa to riding Joonas Kylmakorpi bikes, then had his bad accident at Berwick

Eastbourne or Kent maybe, i think he'd do well at either,  he was very good around Lakeside at Elite League level, and is still only 27.

In the Kent Championship side to replace Rob Ledwith ?

Not sure I can see a shortage of riders  ..... more likely a shortage of teams .... with Swindon and Somerset not running so far  in 2021. Still not sure what will beome of the National League in 2021 ?? 

14 hours ago, iris123 said:

Just out of interest, because maybe I am sceptical, but has anyone made a comeback after a 3, 4 or 5 year break and been a success ? I could quite well imagine Crump doing it to some extent. Not going to be the rider he was, but in the UK could do well

One of the best returns I've ever witnessed was Andrew Silver. A retirement of 15-16 years & still averaged over 5 in the 2nd tier. Don't know if that gap can be beaten?? 

As for Lewis Bridger, as long as the average is sensible neither rider or club have anything to lose. 

Good luck to him

• Like 4

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I recall Eric Boocock making an unsuccessful comeback after having been retired for eight years?

I remember Bob Kilby and Phil Crump also coming back and being poor reflections of themselves too.

• Like 1

I watched Lewis Bridger chat with Shane child’s last night on Instagram and he said that Lewis Kerr has been heavily involved with the deal for his comeback, does this mean it’s either Lynn or Eastbourne 

29 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

I watched Lewis Bridger chat with Shane child’s last night on Instagram and he said that Lewis Kerr has been heavily involved with the deal for his comeback, does this mean it’s either Lynn or Eastbourne 

Or both maybe if Eastbourne have to adjust the team due to a points reduction?

12 hours ago, sommelier said:

Lewis was flying when he changed from Jawa to riding Joonas Kylmakorpi bikes, then had his bad accident at Berwick

With respect Kylmakorpi bikes are about as good as they get so it would have been a bit of a shock if he wasn't flying. He chose to use the hire per ride jawa bikes. We hear it all too often in the sport "if i had better bikes/engines id win" well get them and prove it, nobody owes you anything in speedway, money, team places and respect all have to be earnt. 

• Like 2