British Speedway Forum
TotallyHonestJohn

SGB Championship 2021 Confirmed Signings

3 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

So now you can name 5 Dave , you only need 2 more and there’s a few within a 50 radius who could ride in what will be a much lower standard NL including your own Dean Douglas , who does seem to get forgotten about at Brough. I know he’s a bit raw but he’s keen.

Douglas is nowhere near NL level. Wallinger is a not certain, and Philips unlikely due to his family ties. There would have to be a big drop in standard, remembering that both Joe and Josh were not heat leaders in the NL previously, and others locally in the same situation. The other problem, but more so, is the make up for the Sapphires team. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

All products of the TRAINING school apart from alcock wallinger & Phillips & also a lot have forgot about the likes of Liam Carr who came through the school aswell & also jack Flynn who had some got practice sessions last season

I didn't realise Liam Carr still rode??

43 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Douglas is nowhere near NL level. Wallinger is a not certain, and Philips unlikely due to his family ties. There would have to be a big drop in standard, remembering that both Joe and Josh were not heat leaders in the NL previously, and others locally in the same situation. The other problem, but more so, is the make up for the Sapphires team. 

Isn't it more about experience for the young lads rather than winning in the nl? Some of the lesser riders should be given a chance

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dandelion said:

Isn't it more about experience for the young lads rather than winning in the nl? Some of the lesser riders should be given a chance

Of course, and that was my philosophy when I started the original Gems in 2002, but at the end of the day, the team has got still have a cutting edge and compete. No-one is going to stop and watch a junior team getting thrashed every meeting. The secret is to get half the team cable of winning races, and able to help and bring the best out of the good youngsters  behind them. It's not an either or, but a mixture of both. I was lucky having new riders in Robertson, Lawson and Craig Branney, with other youngsters.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

I didn't realise Liam Carr still rode??

He doesn't. He had serious injuries many years ago and eventually retired because of them.

What's wrong with a team like this... And that's assuming that the points limit doesn't drop, which it no doubt will

1 Max Clegg 10.14
2 Joe Alcock 3.00
3 Josh Embleton 4.83
4 Jamie Halder 4.63
10.40?
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Danny Smith 3.00

Total:                                       39.00?

And if Max doesn't want to ride NL because Wolves snap him up or something, then there's the likes of Alfie Bowtell who will be looking for a team now with Plymouth no doubt in the Championship. Leon Flint was lined up to ride for the Gems last season.

And then there's other local riders mentioned such as

Jack Flynn

Dean Douglas

Elliot Kelly

Luke Ruddick

Connor Coles

Shelby Rutherford

Kieran Douglas

Some ex Stoke riders there too... It's not IMPOSSIBLE to make an NL team, but is it financially viable

James Sarjeant was a popular guest a few seasons back for the Diamonds, maybe he'll want to double down if he don't get a PL spot

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

What's wrong with a team like this... And that's assuming that the points limit doesn't drop, which it no doubt will

1 Max Clegg 10.14
2 Joe Alcock 3.00
3 Josh Embleton 4.83
4 Jamie Halder 4.63
10.40?
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Danny Smith 3.00

Total:                                       39.00?

And if Max doesn't want to ride NL because Wolves snap him up or something, then there's the likes of Alfie Bowtell who will be looking for a team now with Plymouth no doubt in the Championship. Leon Flint was lined up to ride for the Gems last season.

And then there's other local riders mentioned such as

Jack Flynn

Dean Douglas

Elliot Kelly

Luke Ruddick

Connor Coles

Shelby Rutherford

Kieran Douglas

Some ex Stoke riders there too... It's not IMPOSSIBLE to make an NL team, but is it financially viable

I'd forgot about Halder, but the rest are very debatable and some really non runners. Let's see what Rob comes up with after he is released from hospital.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

He doesn't. He had serious injuries many years ago and eventually retired because of them.

Wrong !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I'd forgot about Halder, but the rest are very debatable and some really non runners. Let's see what Rob comes up with after he is released from hospital.

Who would you suggest are the non runners? Let's narrow it down!!

5 minutes ago, Heedthebaw said:

Wrong !

Is he making a comeback then? Liked Liam back in the day

10 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Who would you suggest are the non runners? Let's narrow it down!!

Is he making a comeback then? Liked Liam back in the day

Not that I’m aware of, but no injuries would stop him if he wanted to, and injury is not the reason he stopped riding

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heedthebaw said:

Not that I’m aware of, but no injuries would stop him if he wanted to, and injury is not the reason he stopped riding

Glad to hear it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Realy give some a chance they could prove you wrong isn't that's what it's about

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

This would be the Saphires team ! I did say there would be a drop in standards , because most of the previous heat leaders in the NL will be riding as graded reserves in the championship so that equals out. Joe and Josh become experienced riders in this new level with the likes of Archie, Dean and others getting a chance to show there worth. Is that what the NL was intended to be , a platform for new youngsters ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heedthebaw said:

I am aware of what you are referring too. But it did follow a lot of injuries.