British Speedway Forum
enotian

Who are the Rising Stars?

Or Bero Boys if you're looking for a sponsorship opportunity.

Has the list been published? Will the list be published?

Am I correct in thinking that there are Grades 4, 3 and 2? With 4's only as #7 in the PL.

I'm struggling to identify 6 grade 4's but I suppose  it's grade 4 or below in the PL

4 Brennan Bickley Kemp Rowe
3 Flint Hume Bowtell Thomas J Smith Kinsley Wood
2 Jenkins Stoneman Edwards C Bailey Coles Ruddick Marson Lawlor Phillips Woolley L Harris Atkins Palin Gilkes J Thompson D Thompson Wirtzfeld Ablitt Embleton MacDonald Brooks Kelly Andrews Alcock H McGurk or anyone without previous PL and CL appearances.

Based on 2019 activity.  Don't know if age or retirement have ruled some out?

8 minutes ago, enotian said:

Am I correct in thinking that there are Grades 4, 3 and 2? With 4's only as #7 in the PL.

I'm struggling to identify 6 grade 4's but I suppose  it's grade 4 or below in the PL

2 Jenkins Stoneman Edwards C Bailey Coles Ruddick Marson Lawlor Phillips Woolley L Harris Atkins Palin Gilkes J Thompson D Thompson Wirtzfeld Ablitt Embleton MacDonald Brooks Kelly Andrews Alcock H McGurk or anyone without previous PL and CL appearances.

Not sure they / you can grade the likes of Cole’s, Phillips, Ruddick with all their experience in the Championship and NL the same as Kelly , Palin, Gilkes, who have one season in the NL. But then I don’t agree that J Smith or Thomas should be below some of the 4’s so it’s personal choice I suppose.

22 minutes ago, enotian said:

Just another farcical decision to call anybody “rising star” simply call it “grading and we can argue all we want.Anybody could be a”rising star”

• Like 1

I'm sure the BSPL announcement on  Thursday mentioned 'any Brit with average of 4.00 or less' would get a star-rating of 3, 2 or below.

Neil Vatcher will have the best overview.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I'm sure the BSPL announcement on  Thursday mentioned 'any Brit with average of 4.00 or less' would get a star-rating of 3, 2 or below.

Neil Vatcher will have the best overview.

I can’t find anything in the BSPL announcement about “Brits with an average of 4.00 or less”, they just say each “rising star” would be given a grading of 2, 3 or 4.  No mention of how the gradings would be determined. No mention of the age cut off for the “youngsters”.

On the basis that teams are being put together on a points basis, presumably using the 2019 season ending averages, surely the gradings of the ‘rising stars’ and ‘youngsters’ are already known in order for teams to be completed? 

44 minutes ago, woofers said:

I can’t find anything in the BSPL announcement about “Brits with an average of 4.00 or less”, they just say each “rising star” would be given a grading of 2, 3 or 4.  No mention of how the gradings would be determined. No mention of the age cut off for the “youngsters”.

On the basis that teams are being put together on a points basis, presumably using the 2019 season ending averages, surely the gradings of the ‘rising stars’ and ‘youngsters’ are already known in order for teams to be completed? 

Probably still arguing about it.:rolleyes:

wish all young riders success but  all being labelled a rising star isnt going to help them,obviously theyre not "stars"  a really silly name

• Like 1

I'm assuming

3.00-4.00 = tier 4

2.00-2.99 = tier 3

Below 2.00/New assesed 2.00ers = tier 2

We're obsessed with tiers this year and last

Although that would make the likes of Leon Flint tier 4 and unavailable for this league as a 'rising star' :unsure: Typical, more confusion caused!!

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

I'm assuming

3.00-4.00 = tier 4

2.00-2.99 = tier 3

Although that would make the likes of Leon Flint tier 4 and unavailable for this league as a 'rising star' :unsure: Typical, more confusion caused!!

Why would Flint be unavailable, and for what league .?

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Why would Flint be unavailable, and for what league .?

For the Championship, can't the Championship teams only use up to a tier 3? And his average is 3.34 which would put him in tier 4...

Just total guess work, wish they'd let us know what's going on with the tiers for the rising stars

Is Tom Brennan, with a 2019 average of over 6, classified as a rising star ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, woofers said:

Is Tom Brennan, with a 2019 average of over 6, classified as a rising star ?

He should be considering his age, he's one of Britain's BEST rising stars... But you know how ridiculous the rules can be... Maybe tier 4 rising star will be 4.00+ average but u-23? Or something

11 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

He should be considering his age, he's one of Britain's BEST rising stars... But you know how ridiculous the rules can be... Maybe tier 4 rising star will be 4.00+ average but u-23? Or something

And Tom Brennan's average was achieved at reserve before a major fracture ended his 2019 season earlyl

2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I'm assuming

3.00-4.00 = tier 4

2.00-2.99 = tier 3

That's why it's a rubbish rule!!! Newcastle have been forced to release Connor Mountain to slot in Joe Alcock. no disrespect to either rider. but I would still class Leon Flint and Connor Mountain as possible stars of the future.

How many of these "rising Stars" will have their confidence shattered finishing last every race they are up against the more established riders and quit the sport all together, as has happened on more than one occasion in the past.

Do they stay at reserve all season?? Like in Poland . (where it was obvious from day 1 that Lezno would win the title as their two compulsory reserves were actually good quality 2nd strings). Or do they move into the team proper if their averages are high enough.

A better, in my view, system would be:- Minimum 3 brits per team. one to be under 24, and one (or even two) to be under 20. Irrespective of average. They take their place in the team according to average. That way the "rising stars" would come into the championship when they are ready, and teams are not forced to introduce someone before he is ready 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leander said:

That's why it's a rubbish rule!!! Newcastle have been forced to release Connor Mountain to slot in Joe Alcock. no disrespect to either rider. but I would still class Leon Flint and Connor Mountain as possible stars of the future.

A can't see why Newcastle were forced to release Connor Mountain to slot in Joe Alcock.

• Like 1