British Speedway Forum
enotian

Who are the Rising Stars?

10 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A can't see why Newcastle were forced to release Connor Mountain to slot in Joe Alcock.

So they could sign Ben Barker?

13 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A can't see why Newcastle were forced to release Connor Mountain to slot in Joe Alcock.

Had to have a Rising Star and didn't have one in the original 1-7.  So they didn't necessarily have to release Mountain but one of the original 1-7. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StevePark said:

So they could sign Ben Barker?

So, not Joe?,,, was Connors release the only way to make it fit?

2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

For the Championship, can't the Championship teams only use up to a tier 3? And his average is 3.34 which would put him in tier 4...

Just total guess work, wish they'd let us know what's going on with the tiers for the rising stars

I think he could still ride in the CL just not as #7.

As Berwick have said they are keeping the same seven from 2020 Flint must be graded lower than 4 because the only other candidate would be Bickley who averaged more than Flint in 2019 so I suspect is graded 4 but at #6 for Berwick using his CMA.

I reckon the Eastbourne team has three rising stars with Edwards being the only one who counts at #7

37 minutes ago, leander said:

Do they stay at reserve all season?? Like in Poland . (where it was obvious from day 1 that Lezno would win the title as their two compulsory reserves were actually good quality 2nd strings). Or do they move into the team proper if their averages are high enough.

This is key for me.  Haven't Leszno had Smektala, Drabik and Kubera at reserve over the last couple of seasons? three of the best U21 riders in the World at reserve all season...  and unsurprisingly won.

Personally I'd prefer it if they moved into the top 5 as per the normal rules but had their place protected to avoid the Sneddon effect.  Whereby a young rider does well at reserve and significantly increases their average only to be replaced by a more experienced rider with a lower average but perceived more capable at that time.  I can't remember how many seasons Sneddon missed because he had something like a 5 point average after about 8 matches which nobody would touch him on. I think Bryan Larner was the same going even further back in time. I think that the grading sorts this problem out.

Keeping them at reserve all season might just stifle their development and has been mentioned before the same experiment was abandoned mid season some years ago when Boxall and Armstrong were averaging 7 plus at reserve and taking 7 rides every match. 

However when El Supremo has the best grade 2 in the league I suspect they'll be at reserve all season.....

55 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

They had to release someone, as none of our 2020 riders satisfied the criteria. if we had kept Connor then Joe would have replaced Skorja and we would be about 5 points below the limit.

It is possible that without the rule change we could have signed Ben to replace Nic and still been under the limit (assuming Adam Roynon average is less than 5.00)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, enotian said:

This is key for me.  Haven't Leszno had Smektala, Drabik and Kubera at reserve over the last couple of seasons? three of the best U21 riders in the World at reserve all season...  and unsurprisingly won.

Personally I'd prefer it if they moved into the top 5 as per the normal rules but had their place protected to avoid the Sneddon effect.  Whereby a young rider does well at reserve and significantly increases their average only to be replaced by a more experienced rider with a lower average but perceived more capable at that time.  I can't remember how many seasons Sneddon missed because he had something like a 5 point average after about 8 matches which nobody would touch him on. I think Bryan Larner was the same going even further back in time. I think that the grading sorts this problem out.

Keeping them at reserve all season might just stifle their development and has been mentioned before the same experiment was abandoned mid season some years ago when Boxall and Armstrong were averaging 7 plus at reserve and taking 7 rides every match. 

However when El Supremo has the best grade 2 in the league I suspect they'll be at reserve all season.....

Drabik was at Wroclaw never at Leszno 

It’s all an absolute nonsense. A good idea ruined by a stupid grading system. Surely averages can’t be used for determining grades, otherwise, why not just use averages and forget grades?

There should just be a group of “British juniors” and any team should be able to sign whoever they wish without averages or grades dictating that. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It’s all an absolute nonsense. A good idea ruined by a stupid grading system. Surely averages can’t be used for determining grades, otherwise, why not just use averages and forget grades?

There should just be a group of “British juniors” and any team should be able to sign whoever they wish without averages or grades dictating that. 

Wouldn’t be British Speedway without something like this though, would it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

4 hours ago, Pinny said:

Wouldn’t be British Speedway without something like this though, would it?

A wouldn't spend too much time debating it, it'll have changed again by next year. ;)

7 hours ago, Najjer said:

It's been tried before, but the fans complained (2006 Steve Boxall and 2014 Lewis Blackbird) 

58 minutes ago, arnieg said:

It's been tried before, but the fans complained (2006 Steve Boxall and 2014 Lewis Blackbird) 

Fans or promotors?

1 minute ago, Najjer said:

Fans or promotors?

Both

15 hours ago, woofers said:

Is Tom Brennan, with a 2019 average of over 6, classified as a rising star ?

Tom will surely be a rising star in the Premiership and we know he is not in the Championship (for the purposes of this exercise) and he is in Eastbourne's top five and they have Jason Edwards as their rising star, which he is.

• Like 2

The one thing i do hope is that riders are limited to two leagues this year. The whole tripling up thing becomes laughable and blocks up teams sports for those other riders trying to progress.

• Like 2