British Speedway Forum
enotian

Who are the Rising Stars?

9 hours ago, Najjer said:

It’s all an absolute nonsense. A good idea ruined by a stupid grading system. Surely averages can’t be used for determining grades, otherwise, why not just use averages and forget grades?

There should just be a group of “British juniors” and any team should be able to sign whoever they wish without averages or grades dictating that. 

Agree.Nothing’s simple in British Speedway though.Self Interest always wins.

I’ve asked Ian Jordan at Eastbourne about Eastbourne’s rising stars as he is without fail very transparent when fans ask him questions. He will always join in on Facebook if there is a question that needs clearing up.

Of course, he will not break confidences which is what you would hope for (although you are dying to know!).

Mr Jordan said Drew Kemp, Jason Edwards and Tom Brennan are all on the rising star programme.

It was also great to discover that Nathan Ablitt, another Eagles asset, is also on the list. 

What fabulous news for the riders and Eastbourne.

He told me that in 2021 each club has to have a rising star at No 7. Where a club tracks more than one “rising star”, like Eastbourne, it’s the one with the least experience and lowest rating that gets the No 7 slot. For Eastbourne, it's Jason Edwards, which I think is absolutely perfect for Jason.

He said there were other things which he was sure the BSPL will announce in due course which, understandably, he could not tell me.

My take on this is that the rising star programme is hugely welcome, fits the overall aims and ambitions of Eastbourne which are to nurture and develop young British talent.

It’s what happened over the years down here in Sussex and it is a great tradition.

All this makes me proud to be a supporter of such a far-sighted club and I am sure there are plenty of other fans on the Arlington terraces who will back me up on this.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I’ve asked Ian Jordan at Eastbourne about Eastbourne’s rising stars as he is without fail very transparent when fans ask him questions. He will always join in on Facebook if there is a question that needs clearing up.

Of course, he will not break confidences which is what you would hope for (although you are dying to know!).

Any chance he may tell us what happened to the fixtures that were promised, and when they are likely to be revealed? Thanks.

What exactly is the point of publishing a fixture list starting 1 May when we already know (as a result of subsequent govt. statements) that an early May start is highly unlikely?

Fixtures are probably being held up due to the ongoing discussions as to whether Plymouth are in or out!

I'm sure as soon as that is sorted they will shake it all about.:party:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

What exactly is the point of publishing a fixture list starting 1 May when we already know (as a result of subsequent govt. statements) that an early May start is highly unlikely?

You may be correct, in which case the BSPL should say so.

However, my irritation with the fixture list delay is down to the authorities stating one thing and then failing hopelessly to adhere to it or even provide an update. 

If I said to you that I’d deliver something that you were looking forward to next week, but didn’t, and didn’t bother to inform you why or when you could it expect it, but just remained silent, I expect you would be a bit pi**ed off. 

Not for the first time have the authorities printed something and then abandoned it without another word of explanation.They really don’t see it from the paying fans point of view.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Fixtures are probably being held up due to the ongoing discussions as to whether Plymouth are in or out!

I'm sure as soon as that is sorted they will shake it all about.:party:

Again, how hard is it to put a statement out that the fixtures have been delayed due to the possible inclusion of Plymouth? That way then, there is no mystery, no secrets and everybody knows the score. It’s just so poor on so many accounts.

The inclusion, or exclusion, of Plymouth, has no bearing on Premiership fixtures.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Dandelion said:

Although that would make the likes of Leon Flint tier 4 and unavailable for this league as a 'rising star' :unsure: Typical, more confusion caused!!

Don't worry on his account. He's got himself a nice contract in Poland now. I'm sure his Polish club will make sure that he's always got food on the table.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Dandelion said:

I'm assuming

3.00-4.00 = tier 4

2.00-2.99 = tier 3

Below 2.00/New assesed 2.00ers = tier 2

We're obsessed with tiers this year and last

Although that would make the likes of Leon Flint tier 4 and unavailable for this league as a 'rising star' :unsure: Typical, more confusion caused!!

I think your assumptions are a Tier to high as Berwick have announced the same team so Leon must be a Tier 3

So on the same premise as posted above my guess would be

5.00-5.99 = 5 Star

4.00-4.99 = 4 Star

3.00-3.99 = 3 Star

2.01-2.99 = 2 Star

Below 2.00/New assessed 2.00ers = 1 Star; and the only reason that I have went this low is because some of the young kids that have been suggested have never ridden in the Championship whatsoever so cant really be in the same bracket as a 2 Star rider who has a year under his belt; however I am only guessing but I cant see how it can operate any other way

4 and 5 Star riders for the top league only and this may mean the likes of Connor Mountain may be a 4 Star and Max Clegg a 5 Star rider in the Premiership with the Championship being restricted to 1; 2 or 3 Star riders which will give a discrimination in the team strengths between the leagues and the way riders are dropping out what are the odds for the Championship going with two of these rising star riders now this year which will in effect slightly lower the build points for the top 5 riders... Just a thought after the Jake Allen news...

Regards
THJ

THJ - I don’t think the BSPL statement mentioned a 5 star category ?

41 minutes ago, woofers said:

Perhaps THJ 's  thinking of the hotels he normally stays in? ( Pre covid of course)

Edited by gazzac
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, woofers said:

Don't think they mentioned a 1 star either but if they want to discriminate between the two leagues and have stronger teams in the top league how else can they do it when everyone will be doubling up/down 

My preference would have been to build to 42 in the top league and 32 in the lower league then use this season for the averages to level out in each league and go from that point next year 

We will just have to see how this pans out and what Star Rating brackets apply to what riders. To be fair I'm not struck on the proposal but the promotions want to give it a go so fair play to them and I hope it works out for everyone and ultimately that they are all happy with the outcome...

Regards 

THJ 

When did Edwards, Gilkes, Thompson twins, Palin, Jenkins ride in the Championship to be merited 2 star? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

When did Edwards, Gilkes, Thompson twins, Palin, Jenkins ride in the Championship to be merited 2 star? :rolleyes:

They haven't IronS and its all total guess work until something official comes out... but it gives the fans something to discuss... So I have invented this and as I stated above with the following explanation... 

"Below 2.00/New assessed 2.00ers = 1 Star; and the only reason that I have went this low is because some of the young kids that have been suggested have never ridden in the Championship whatsoever so cant really be in the same bracket as a 2 Star rider who has a year under his belt; however I am only guessing but I cant see how it can operate any other way"...

Happy to listen to any other views or edit things when the official story comes out

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key word
  • Like 1