British Speedway Forum
enotian

Who are the Rising Stars?

5 minutes ago, Panthers99 said:

I think was more a case before he injures himself in fairness.

Oh sorry that seems a touch optimistic given its still sledging season

• Haha 1

Riders in there who really shouldn’t be as they’ve been knocking around for years, plus some missing who should be and some questionable gradings. The idea was good but it looks to be a bit of a dog’s breakfast unfortunately. 

Edited by Bagpuss

59 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

The list has been officially announced. 
Some of these lads haven’t ridden competitively for years, so are they going to want to come back?

BRITISH SPEEDWAY RISING STAR SCHEME CATEGORIES:

1 STAR:
Nathan Ablitt, Joe Alcock, Sam Bebee, Paul Bowen, Arran Butcher, James Chattin, Jacob Clouting, Sheldon Davies, Kieran Douglas, Kelsey Dugard, Josh Embleton, Archie Freeman, Dan Gilkes, Sam Hagon, Luke Harrison, Elliot Kelly, Connor King, Harry McGurk, Gregor Millar, Lewis Millar, Jake Mulford, Jordan Palin, Ben Rathbone, George Rothery, Danny Smith, Tom Spencer, Alex Spooner, Ryan Terry-Daley, Joe Thompson, Dan Thompson, Danno Verge, Mason Watson, Ben Woodhull.

2 STAR:
Richard Andrews, Henry Atkins, Greg Blair, Connor Coles, Luke Harris, Jordan Jenkins, Joe Lawlor, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, Danny Phillips.

3 STAR:
Leon Flint, Danyon Hume, Drew Kemp, Ryan Kinsley, Luke Ruddick, Jack Smith.

4 STAR:
Tom Bacon, Josh Bates, Kyle Bickley, Tom Brennan, Nathan Greaves, Connor Mountain, Anders Rowe, James Shanes.

With the greatest of respect its just a tombola of names ranging from those not old enough to retired riders and just about everything in between. My only hope is that PL is restricted to 3&4 star graded riders and once it kicks properly next season CL sides have to add up to 4 stars in total ( so 2+2 or 3+1) otherwise the gap in standard is going to be huge. Not knocking but some riders haven't even completed a decent season in the NDL yet (and some have had several seasons at trying to) so the fact that there is even a chance of them heading into the "professional" leagues is more than a bit concerning. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

With the greatest of respect its just a tombola of names ranging from those not old enough to retired riders and just about everything in between. My only hope is that PL is restricted to 3&4 star graded riders and once it kicks properly next season CL sides have to add up to 4 stars in total ( so 2+2 or 3+1) otherwise the gap in standard is going to be huge. Not knocking but some riders haven't even completed a decent season in the NDL yet (and some have had several seasons at trying to) so the fact that there is even a chance of them heading into the "professional" leagues is more than a bit concerning. 

From what I am hearing you are correct...

Next season a max of 6 star points for PL team so a 4 + 2 or 3 + 3 rider as Rising Star Reserves and for the CL its 4 Star points per team so a 3 + 1 or a 2 + 2...

Personally I don't like it whatsoever and I don't know many who do... but according to the press release everyone thinks its great?

My preference would be you can't go PL until you have a 6 average or more in the CL so with a conversion rate of 1.5 that gives gives a reserve starting average of 4 points and up the team build level to 45 points in the PL and for the CL you need at least an average of 6 in the NL with a conversion rate of 3 gives a 2 point average in the CL and let the CL clubs build to 35 points.... Finally let the NL build to 25 points to force them to put kids (or novices) in and not high averaged riders who race in three leagues and finally a conversion rate of 3 between these two leagues (NL to CL). no one racing in the PL should be engaged in the NL.

The "Fast Track" system didn't work and this won't as it is doing the one thing everyone in every league is against and that's diluting the product; The other thing is; the elephant in the room; (and no one wants it to happen); but just wait until we get injuries and not serious ones to boot; the list isn't endless is it; quality will go right out of the window; also many promotions wont be as patient as others will be when these kids have a crisis of confidence and want to be dropped because they find scoring tough or because they aren't scoring they then get cut because scoring is tough... Guarantee or not...

Nobody is sorrier than me that the BSPL had to spend there valuable time writing out and implementing this process. Though from my personal standpoint I know for a certainty that the process is set up to fail from the off and like many other great ideas in the past it will slide down the valley of regret with near a mention again, please accept my expression of deep regret at this unfortunate episode and don't hold your breath for any regret; remorse or an apology from the BSPL on this matter… Did anyone ever explain why the "Fast Track" system was dumped?

So I am sorry if anyone feels offended with my view of the proposal but it does come from first hand experience...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 5

I cannot echo and agree with the above statements enough. Ive always felt the best approach is to get places dependant on merit rather than x criteria, ultimately if you are good enough you are in. If you cannot achieve the required level at a lower league why should you deserve a chance to move up.  Like many i can see so many flaws in the new system not least that better riders could and likely will miss out on places due to complex team building restrictions all the while lesser riders will have the confidence beaten out of them being the whipping boys. 

When was the last time you saw a rider with no mechanical issues or falls lapped.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mmmmethanol said:

And where is Jason Edwards?..........

Hopefully opted out and is going to make it his own way. No Connor Bailey either, Alfie Bowtell & Jack Thomas look to be the other likely decliners and if so good for them.  

21 minutes ago, mmmmethanol said:

And where is Jason Edwards?..........

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hopefully opted out and is going to make it his own way. No Connor Bailey either, Alfie Bowtell & Jack Thomas look to be the other likely decliners and if so good for them.  

Well there is a thing

Drew Kemp is on there as a 3* rider and the impression is that the "Starred Rider" will start at 7 so the question is WTF... 

Eastie haven't found a loop hole already have they?

Honestly you couldn't make this tripe up... Oh hang on I think that's just the thing... back of a fag packet springs to mind for those old enough...

Regards
THJ

Just now, Sings4Speedway said:

Ta for that, Sings. I didn't realise there was a choice to opt out. Was beginning to think it looked like Dido Harding had got involved....

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Steady old chap. Eastbourne don't set the rules.

25 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well there is a thing

Drew Kemp is on there as a 3* rider and the impression is that the "Starred Rider" will start at 7 so the question is WTF... 

Honestly you couldn't make this tripe up... Oh hang on I think that's just the thing... back of a fag packet springs to mind for those old enough...

Regards
THJ

I think the only 'loophole' is Eastie committed to their own rising star program over the last 4/5 years and no matter what rules there were last season or this Brennen and Edwards were guaranteed a team place, and to a degree Kemp. As there was never a chance of Edwards riding Premiership this season, and probably next as well, opted out of the latest program, maybe the same with Bowtell etc, unlike Palin,Brennen, Kemp etc who want to go all the way and need a 'rising star's grade for the Premiership. Assume if you opt out of the Championship star rating, you're out of the Premiership one as well?

Edited by gazzac

46 minutes ago, mmmmethanol said:

Steady old chap. Eastbourne don't set the rules.

31 minutes ago, gazzac said:

I think the only 'loophole' is Eastie committed to their own rising star program over the last 4/5 years and no matter what rules there were last season or this Brennen and Edwards were guaranteed a team place, and to a degree Kemp. As there was never a chance of Edwards riding Premiership this season, and probably next as well, opted out of the latest program, maybe the same with Bowtell etc, unlike Palin, Brennen, Kemp etc who want to go all the way and need a 'rising star's grade for the Premiership. Assume if you opt out of the Championship star rating, you're out of the Premiership one as well?

Whoa there chaps...

No slight on Eastie... I ain't got one problem with their team whatsoever...

Just pointing out on the comment made by mmmethanol that Jason has been missed off the list and that the process as far as we are aware is supposed to have your Rising Star at 7, also what Scunny Phil has stated is that if riders opt out of the System they may not get picked as RS riders will get preference; stupid I know but it will be interesting to see what happens in this instance if it was just a typo omission of Jason Edwards not being on the list or if he has opted out and if so will Eastie be forced to put in a 2* rider off the list to complete their team...

So whose to blame? well its the system stupid; because in most organisations the buck stops with the boss; but not the BSPL; so who is the boss? is that the Chairman Rob Godfrey and will he take the buck for this clock-up? well he's never seen the buck; in fact he wont know that there is a buck; in fact we will be informed no doubt that it was to his profound regret that no one alerted him to the existence of any buck. During the period under discussion, you see, it was not standard BSPL procedure to monitor the buck... With hindsight he will accept that there was a buck and that if he had known at that time that there was a buck he would have certainly acted upon it and dealt with it and that the buck could have been prevented. But tragically his attention was never drawn to the buck hence the buck does not stop with him, The problem he will advise is with the system; which he had nothing to do with; neither its construct or formulation only its delivery so there is no one to blame other than the system and as such there is nothing to see here so just move on...

Next years BSPL press release...

Regards
THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Thanks 1

The better system would have been taking into consideration there are 12 Championship teams

Grade C/D (1 & 2 star) - British Riders Only

A list of riders who Championship clubs must select to ride at no.6 & no.7 with C grade at no.6 and D grade at no.7

Grade A/B (3 & 4 star) - Commonwealth Riders Only

A list of riders who Championship clubs must select to ride in the main body of the team starting at No. 2 & No.4

Each club picks 1 x Grade A/B/C/D all set points money

Clubs then have a team building limit for the remaining "heat leader" spots, Grade A & B can include Aussies that qualify to race over here

with the 3 heat leaders its just an upgraded National League

Based on 2021 season results riders can fluctuate between Grading if someone struggles as a 3 star rider they can drop to 2 star etc. 

But this is just me who think its just should be a Two League structure

14 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Whoa there chaps...

No slight on Eastie... I ain't got one problem with their team whatsoever...

Just pointing out on the comment made by mmmethanol that Jason has been missed off the list and that the process as far as we are aware is supposed to have your Rising Star at 7, also what Scunny Phil has stated is that if riders opt out of the System they may not get picked as RS riders will get preference; stupid I know but it will be interesting to see what happens in this instance if it was just a typo omission of Jason Edwards not being on the list or if he has opted out and if so will Eastie be forced to put in a 2* rider off the list to complete their team...

So whose to blame? well its the system stupid; because in most organisations the buck stops with the boss; but not the BSPL; so who is the boss? is that the Chairman Rob Godfrey and will he take the buck for this clock-up? well he's never seen the buck; in fact he wont know that there is a buck; in fact we will be informed no doubt that it was to his profound regret that no one alerted him to the existence of any buck. During the period under discussion, you see, it was not standard BSPL procedure to monitor the buck... With hindsight he will accept that there was a buck and that if he had known at that time that there was a buck he would have certainly acted upon it and dealt with it and that the buck could have been prevented. But tragically his attention was never drawn to the buck hence the buck does not stop with him, The problem he will advise is with the system; which he had nothing to do with; neither its construct or formulation only its delivery so there is no one to blame other than the system and as such there is nothing to see here so just move on...

Next years BSPL press release...

Regards
THJ 

:blink::) Indeed, but my brain hurts now!!

• Haha 1