British Speedway Forum
enotian

Who are the Rising Stars?

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The aim of this has to be getting the national team to the top of the Speedway tree and not whether certain teams may benefit from having a 'young superstar' at number seven for a few years..

The Poles have the right idea in that no matter how good their number six and sevens are (U21 World Champs some of them), they stay in that position.

Mike I don't disagree with the sentiment but we ain't got the money to compete with Poland... you still need teams  in the U.K. to put these kids in... you youtself on many occasions have said on here the product is being diluted and this is just something else that the sport doesn't need right now and it's another knee jerk reaction... 

You know I like my predictions and here's one... this won't get to it's 3rd year... injuries; and they will happen: will put pay to the idea...

Or if what I am hearing up here comes to fruition if the team don't perform the promotion won't get the crowd in... no crowd no team... sorry but I'm not struck on the proposal...

Regards 

THJ 

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think those who have devised this plan would be very pleased to see GB lads earning big money in Poland as that would suggest the scheme has 100% worked..

The aim of this has to be getting the national team to the top of the Speedway tree and not whether certain teams may benefit from having a 'young superstar' at number seven for a few years..

The Poles have the right idea in that no matter how good their number six and sevens are (U21 World Champs some of them), they stay in that position..

Winning any Speedway competition over here doesnt mean much currently so it doesnt really matter if any team "gets lucky" with their RS riders...

What does matter is in five years or so time, that GB is putting the Union Jack on the top step of the podium regularly at SON's, GP's and U21 World Championships..

As has been proved by other minority sports that have targeted international success above domestic club focus. This national success will 100% get the sport the publicity it needs to thrive and grow..

Again, well said and those intentions have to be understood, rather than dig out the usual critics.

My understanding is that the rider stays in that position for the whole year. If you remember the other 2 previous schemes, both were scrapped when rider/s improved more than they were allowed to. :o

Just now, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Mike I don't disagree with the sentiment but we ain't got the money to compete with Poland... you still need teams  in the U.K. to put these kids in... you youtself on many occasions have said on here the product is being diluted and this is just something else that the sport doesn't need right now and it's another knee jerk reaction... 

You know I like my predictions and here's one... this won't get to it's 3rd year... injuries; and they will happen: will put pay to the idea...

Or if what I am hearing up here comes to fruition if the team don't perform the promotion won't get the crowd in... no crowd no team... sorry but I'm not struck on the proposal...

Regards 

THJ 

I love positivity. :D 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Much easier being a critic these days :D

Doesnt matter how big a smiley face you put on a post Dave it doesnt make what you are saying any more correct and I have had the craic from several different sources and critic or not its a forum and my opinion of it is I'm not struck on the idea...

Sorry if you don't like that...

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I love positivity. :D 

Not struck on that inference but as the MD of a successful business  positivity is something I have never lacked...

But I can spot a flawed proposal when I see one...

Regards 

THJ 

1 hour ago, GAH said:

kyle bickley above flint & kemp is someone on drugs 

2019 GSA Flint 3.30, Kemp 3.95 and Bickley 3.93. The only discernible difference is that Bickley also rode a full season in 2018.  I don't disagree that Kemp and Flint look to be better prospects but you can't grade on future potential.  Otherwise Palin and the Thompson twins might have been graded 4* straight away. 

Fortunately it won't cost Bickley a team place unless he loses his Berwick place due to poor form. 

2 minutes ago, enotian said:

2019 GSA Flint 3.30, Kemp 3.95 and Bickley 3.93. The only discernible difference is that Bickley also rode a full season in 2018.  I don't disagree that Kemp and Flint look to be better prospects but you can't grade on future potential.  Otherwise Palin and the Thompson twins might have been graded 4* straight away. 

Fortunately it won't cost Bickley a team place unless he loses his Berwick place due to poor form. 

I would guess  that the cut off between a 3* rider and a 4* is an average of 3.50 which may explain why Kemp and Bickley have been designated 4* riders

Regards 

THJ 

5 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Not struck on that inference but as the MD of a successful business  positivity is something I have never lacked...

But I can spot a flawed proposal when I see one...

Regards 

THJ 

And your earth shattering scheme would be...........

46 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Because that is the list that has gone to all those mentioned and asking the riders if they want to join the system. No good publishing the list for critics like you, rather wait till the list is formal and then publish it. That's how business is done, not lashed out to just to satisfy the critics.:D  

So you’re saying that the list hasn’t been finalised and teams are signing riders without the grades actually being finalised? That probably makes it even worse! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

I think you may very well be correct as it will take some holding of their nerve I would think, however, at least it looks like a plan of action rather than the usual 'make do and mend' nonsense that has pervaded for far too long..

As for the dilution of the standard, I think what we have this year (if it happens), is just about right for the amount of fans the sport gets. ie No "Superstars" that quite frankly haven't generated crowd levels to justify their high salaried inclusion. (No disrespect to them but that is the reality)...

A "brave new world" or "a disaster waiting to happen"...

Either way, at least it is something that has been thought through and accepted by the Promoters so let's see how it all works out, and as always with these things, the devil will be in the detail..

And from what I have read so far from those within the sport, a certain amount of 'rider control' will be taking place, therefore let's hope it's done fairly for all teams so each pair of RS's are all of a similar standard collectively..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Think Leon Flint is a good example of where it could go wrong, another being Drew Kemp.Big average do they just move to 4star in 2022.

We don't know but it looks like if a rider does average over 4 in the CL then they are then a 4*.  In terms of the CL that means they can't be a #7 (or presumably #6 if there are 2 Rising Stars in 2022) and therefore their 2021 GSA applies. See Tom Brennan this season. 4* but in the Eastbourne team on his 2019 GSA.  In terms of the PL as a 4* they can still ride at #7.

The problem is if the rider achieves say an 8 GSA in the CL riding at reserve all season.  I'm certain they'd get a CL team place in 2022 but what if they struggle in the top 5?  Say their average drops to 3.  No doubt they'd be dropped but then couldn't get a reserve place elsewhere to regain their form.....

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

And your earth shattering scheme would be...........

Oh Dave you been on the obnoxious pills tonight or is the Covid jab kicking in... I don't need to come up with an earth shattering scheme as I just put my money in and expect people to run the thing properly... but when I stop enjoying it because the powers that be have twonked around the edges so much that it impacts my enjoyment or I feel that the sport is being diluted to such an extent that I walk away... so be it... I will become just another statistic... but read this thread from the start I think I have made my views well enough known by now...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I would guess  that the cut off between a 3* rider and a 4* is an average of 3.50 which may explain why Kemp and Bickley have been designated 4* riders

Regards 

THJ 

except that Kemp appears to be 3* and Bickley 4*

3 minutes ago, enotian said:

except that Kemp appears to be 3* and Bickley 4*

Lol...

Well spotted... some anomaly there then... it looks like it's geared towards the top league to me and the Prem is getting dragged along for the ride...

It looks a complete pile of Pony but that's just a personal opinion of course...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1