British Speedway Forum
enotian

Who are the Rising Stars?

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I would guess  that the cut off between a 3* rider and a 4* is an average of 3.50 which may explain why Kemp and Bickley have been designated 4* riders

Regards 

THJ 

Drew's a 3 Kyle is 4 

• Thanks 1

Just now, phillwhitewasmad said:

Drew's a 3 Kyle is 4 

Yep I don't get that one at all Phil...

But never mind... just got to be positive and this time next year we could all be millionaires...

Regards 

THJ 

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

So you’re saying that the list hasn’t been finalised and teams are signing riders without the grades actually being finalised? That probably makes it even worse! 

Stopped reading things I see ?. The list has been complied, the star ratings agreed, and the riders (in private by post) have been asked if they wish to be on board with it, and then the finalised scheme and riders involved will be announced no doubt. Yes, some riders already have team places because they are good, but only one per team at the moment.

See you are going the over the top again.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yep I don't get that one at all Phil...

But never mind... just got to be positive and this time next year we could all be millionaires...

Regards 

THJ 

Is based on the average they have at the present time . There had to be a line and unfortunately one is one side of it and another is the other side. It is an anomaly but if exceptions were made to start it there would be a case for loads of riders to moan about their grading. To me it's pretty fair but only time will tell

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Lol...

Well spotted... some anomaly there then... it looks like it's geared towards the top league to me and the Prem is getting dragged along for the ride...

It looks a complete pile of Pony but that's just a personal opinion of course...

Regards 

THJ 

Current average is only one factor in the star selection task. :D

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Stopped reading things I see ?. The list has been complied, the star ratings agreed, and the riders (in private by post) have been asked if they wish to be on board with it, and then the finalised scheme and riders involved will be announced no doubt. Yes, some riders already have team places because they are good, but only one per team at the moment.

See you are doing the over the top again.

Is it me dave or are people getting this wrong. The grading was done so every team could keep there's for 2021 if they had a young British rider at reserve. The main change will be for 2022 when 2 have to be used and some riders on list potentially will either leave it due to success or decide it's not for them 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GAH said:

having watched both riders ride for the colts flint is way far better by a country mile !!

While you might’ve right regarding the future,but both have roughly the same average( under 4).I have seen Bickley a lot over the last 3 seasons and don’t think he has shown the improvement everyone expect,he has certainly been given plenty of chances with Workington and Glasgow.He does not seem to have speed,plenty of style  ,but not a lot of battling qualities,he is still young though.Flint has that bit of bottle and is still young, he has had a good bit of track time over the last couple of seasons though.It will be interesting to see if he steps up over the next couple of seasons.

To me it the usual with the youngsters nowadays a bit a dirt on the track and they struggle with the rocket ships they are on.Slick track throttle jockeys.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

See you are doing the over the top again.

I haven’t stopped reading, but thanks for being patronising. Thanks for also confirming... team places and riders are being signed before the list has been finalised by the powers that be. 

9 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Is it me dave or are people getting this wrong. The grading was done so every team could keep there's for 2021 if they had a young British rider at reserve. The main change will be for 2022 when 2 have to be used and some riders on list potentially will either leave it due to success or decide it's not for them 

So the rules have been bent and created to suit certain teams? Because Newcastle, Poole, Redcar and Edinburgh are going to have to make changes to their teams. Funny enough Scunthorpe don’t and have even confirmed their ‘rising star’ before the list as Tsunami has said has even been sorted or confirmed.... it does make you wonder! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Current average is only one factor in the star selection task. :D

Oh and who you been talking to Dave to become an overnight expert on the subject...

Regards 

THJ 

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Oh and who you been talking to Dave to become an overnight expert on the subject...

Regards 

THJ 

Think about that John.

Well having spent some time reading thro this, IMO the bspa ( or whatever they call themselves these days ) have made a relatively simple idea into a mind boggling minefield  leaving all sorts of questions to be answered. Maybe the official release may make things clearer ??

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Think about that John.

Aye well ya not getting the full picture but a love ya confidence to argue from authority... but never mind as Neila states above the official release may make things clearer ? But from what I have been told I very much doubt it...

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Lol...

Well spotted... some anomaly there then... it looks like it's geared towards the top league to me and the Prem is getting dragged along for the ride...

It looks a complete pile of Pony but that's just a personal opinion of course...

Regards 

THJ 

Bickley has now done 2 full seasons and Kemp just one.  If that's the mechanism fair enough.

I must admit I'm not a fan of forcing teams to have a youngster because it's more difficult for some teams to develop riders and I like to see teams which a structured differently.  I was looking forward to seeing Mountain and Wright at reserve for the Diamonds in 2020. We'd have been clattered in heats 13 and 15 but might have been stronger in heats 2, 8, 12 and 14. Can often lead to topsy turvy matches which has to be good.

But given the problems with rider availability it's probably a good idea for these circumstances.  

And if it means some of these riders progress to international stardom then all well and good even if that means they can no longer/don't want to ride in the UK. Hopefully the clear pathway for young riders will attract new batches.  I recall BSB did something similar years ago that propelled Rea, Hill and Sykes to varying degrees of stardom.

All I would have done was re-assess all experienced riders say 5 full seasons (S Lambert, W Lawson, Sarjeant, J Wright etc) to a minimum 5 point average for team building. Likewise for non UK riders. Just like nobody can average lower than 2 even if they do.  Then teams could still decide to select a strength in depth team if they couldn't access a suitable youngster.

There's a natural incentive to selecting 2 point youngsters anyway as they're most likely to add points to their starting average, which is the name of the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I haven’t stopped reading, but thanks for being patronising. Thanks for also confirming... team places and riders are being signed before the list has been finalised by the powers that be. 

So the rules have been bent and created to suit certain teams? Because Newcastle, Poole, Redcar and Edinburgh are going to have to make changes to their teams. Funny enough Scunthorpe don’t and have even confirmed their ‘rising star’ before the list as Tsunami has said has even been sorted or confirmed.... it does make you wonder! 

Scunthorpe's Rising Star was confirmed to be included in the team in 2019 and was presented to a fan's forum before he was even old enough to ride for them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Scunthorpe's Rising Star was confirmed to be included in the team in 2019 and was presented to a fan's forum before he was even old enough to ride for them.

You’ve missed the point - if the list isn’t confirmed and it’s still being worked as has been said on this thread, surely that needs to be finalised before riders can confirmed?

Orrrrrrr maybe the list is confirmed and sorted and is just being kept a big secret until the mere minions that follow the sport need to know?

• Haha 1