British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Goddard

Tales of the Unexpected

Slightly unusual question - my mum has recently been watching reruns of Tales of the Unexpected on TV, and in the episode entitled "William and Mary" (Series 1 Episode 3) there is a scene where a speedway heat is showing on a TV set in the background.  Does anyone know which track is featured in the footage?

• Like 2

Yes, I saw that, it was on a couple of days ago. The episode first aired in April 1979, so the race was probably from 77 or 78. I thought it looked like Peterborough.

1 hour ago, TheWatcher said:

Yes, I saw that, it was on a couple of days ago. The episode first aired in April 1979, so the race was probably from 77 or 78. I thought it looked like Peterborough.

I reckon you are correct. On in London today, with some irony being the second half of a double header. The series was produced by Anglia TV so Peterborough would have been in their catchment area. Definitely looks like the old at EoESG grass-banking on the back straight.        

I saw that as well,I dont know track...but I  have to say that programme is just weird.

Watching it when I was younger never remembered it being that strange! :D

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

Forcing him to watch Speedway, is that her idea of torture?!!    :D:o

I think they chose that meeting because there wasnt any guest riders in it...

So it linked in nicely with the name of the programme...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, definitely Peterborough...

• Like 1

Yes, looks like Peterborough to me. I wonder why they used a speedway clip in that scene?

Many episodes of "Tales of the Unexpected" were filmed around the Norwich and Norfolk area, as it was an Anglia TV production. Living near Norwich I often see the City streets being used in episodes with some quite famous stars. In one episode, Telly Savalas (of Kojak fame) was walking through the famous "Marble Hall" of the Norwich Union Insurance building in Surrey St, and in another Richard Briers opened a coffee shop in Upper St Giles St then another in Tombland opposite Norwich Cathedral.

Thanks for the answers all.