British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

SGB 2021 premiership confirmed lineups

2 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Somerset signed Jason Doyle, a world champion , and their wage bill increased massively but the crowd level went up exactly zero percent.

Good financial sense ?

I haven't said we need World Championship standard riders, although I made the point earlier. Bringing in these riders doesn't increase crowds. However, getting rid of them lowers crowd levels.

Somerset signed Jason Doyle but it meant little to non-speedway fan. If Swindon, for example, had been forced to get rid of him then their crowds would have dropped.

I think you need a strong level of team in the top tier, especially if that league has just 6 teams in it. It needs something to make it an appealing league.

I don't even think we need GP riders necessarily. Just good, solid top tier sides. A top league with a points limit of the one they have come up with will lose supporters.

I can see very small crowds coming out if the league runs this year. By all means have a league of this strength, but don't sell it as the top league.

Having listened to another clubs latest promoter interviews it was interesting to hear that Somerset’s riders were mostly signed up by other clubs before the AGM took place suggesting the usual back scratching going on around the top table mafia. 
Gutted we’ve ended up with the bad apple and he’s already hit the social media headlines for all the wrong reasons!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I haven't said we need World Championship standard riders, although I made the point earlier. Bringing in these riders doesn't increase crowds. However, getting rid of them lowers crowd levels.

Somerset signed Jason Doyle but it meant little to non-speedway fan. If Swindon, for example, had been forced to get rid of him then their crowds would have dropped.

I think you need a strong level of team in the top tier, especially if that league has just 6 teams in it. It needs something to make it an appealing league.

I don't even think we need GP riders necessarily. Just good, solid top tier sides. A top league with a points limit of the one they have come up with will lose supporters.

I can see very small crowds coming out if the league runs this year. By all means have a league of this strength, but don't sell it as the top league.

But it would be the top league in this country,wouldn't it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tellboy said:

But it would be the top league in this country,wouldn't it?

Clearly some people think that having a top league of 6 teams at this strength is a good thing. Hopefully there are enough to keep the sport going.

Edited by Grachan

As it stands there wouldn’t be any difference in racing between the 2 leagues in my opinion. If anything the championship will probably have better racing, you can’t expect a rising star in the premier league to mix it up with Jack holder for example....The premiership will Never be what the elite league once was unfortunately 

15 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Clearly some people think that having a top league of 6 teams at this strength is a good thing. Hopefully there are enough to keep the sport going.

I didn't say it was a good thing or bad thing,but it will be the top league in the UK.That's why if you put your top league teams against the lower league teams 9 times out of 10 the top league team will win.In most sports in just about every country if there are more than one league/division you will have a top league regardless of the strength of it.

7 hours ago, Blupanther said:

The Disney Premiership has a ring about it...

With a guest appearance of Mickey mouse !!

Just a thought & not sure it's so ridiculous of an idea in the current climate. 

With 6 Prem teams & 12 Champ teams, 2 Champ teams are allocated to 1 Prem team. 

Then the top 3 in the 2 Champ teams make up the Prem team 6 man teams. Then the graded reserve comes from the allocated Champ team. The remaining 7 rider's can then come in as injury replacements / guests at any time. Just like a squad system. 

Is that so daft?? A few tweaks needed obviously for rider's not doubling up but the vast majority will be. 

There must be a workable system along these lines. 

With aussies poss not riding over here,, and the Polish rules,,, is there enough riders to make up 6 decent teams? 

dunno whether anyone else has been confirmed but Troy Batchelor to sheffield is a done deal  

Ipswich Witches...

2021 team: Danny King ©, Jason Crump, Nicolai Klindt, Cameron Heeps, Jordan Stewart, Anders Rowe

• Like 1

Lewis Bridger confirmed for King's Lynn.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, Grachan said:

That hasn't been proven yet and with covid still hanging around, if and I mean IF, we do get any speedway crowds could well be lower because people may decide to air on the side of caution this season.

6 minutes ago, hyderd said:

That hasn't been proven yet and with covid still hanging around, if and I mean IF, we do get any speedway crowds could well be lower because people may decide to air on the side of caution this season.

To be honest, I'm kind of resigned to the strength of the league this year after seeing so many riders opt out of their own accord.

For example, I was concerned that Adam Ellis might not get a team, only to later discover he had opted out of the UK himself anyway. It now looks like the points limit wasn't as daft as I first thought, although I'm not sure about the number 7 rule - particularly as riders such as Anders Rowe already have a proper team slot anyway.

I think that Covid and the Polish rules have effectively finished off top flight speedway in this country.

• Like 2