British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

SGB 2021 premiership confirmed lineups

The 6 premiership teams are being very quiet compared to the championship clubs regarding team lineups. I wonder when we will start getting some lineups confirmed ? 

19 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

The 6 premiership teams are being very quiet compared to the championship clubs regarding team lineups. I wonder when we will start getting some lineups confirmed ? 

I think they are all waiting to see which riders might be released before announcing their own 1-7s.

I don’t know why they didn’t just keep the points limit but just say you need to have a British under 21 at number 7. Crumpy is most probably on the move and batch could become stuck as he has a high average as well, if the bsp get to write the rules every year why not give the clubs the biggest points limit you can to entice better riders to consider racing in the uk 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

I don’t know why they didn’t just keep the points limit but just say you need to have a British under 21 at number 7. Crumpy is most probably on the move and batch could become stuck as he has a high average as well, if the bsp get to write the rules every year why not give the clubs the biggest points limit you can to entice better riders to consider racing in the uk 

Might just be because the clubs can’t afford them. They are trying to reduce costs not increase them.

34 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Might just be because the clubs can’t afford them. They are trying to reduce costs not increase them.

Reducing costs reduces crowds. It always has done.

• Like 4

If we had teams full of the worlds best,, would the crowd go up or sponsors come in to address the extra expense? 

I think the crowds would take time to increase but I think bigger sponsors and more coverage would defiantly increase. I just can’t see why Eurosport would want to show a watered down British league for the next 5 years. 

• Like 1

Probably cos they had some spare viewing hours and were after a fill in sport they could get on the cheap.  And they do tend to show more of the minority sports than the other sports channels. 

Edited by Baldyman

4 hours ago, Baldyman said:

If we had teams full of the worlds best,, would the crowd go up or sponsors come in to address the extra expense? 

For me. Crowds would grow in the short term as 'ex fans' came back, and those less regular fans attended more frequently..

Novelty value and all that..  

But then crowds would drop back as that novelty wore off, leaving clubs with the most expensive riders and crowds that won't sustain them..

Pretty much where the sport was 15 to 20 or so years ago, all the top riders rode here but crowds dwindled each year whilst they did...

And TV coverage was also great, the best rode here, yet sponsors didn't throw money at it...

Three top heat leaders per team became two, and then two became one, and finally all was left was Jason Doyle.....

And now even he has gone....

Bottom line is the wider sporting watching public don't know who are 'top stars', and who are not, so their appearance wouldn't generate enough 'new fans' for me to justify the outlay...

This year's predicted teams in the top division resemble something like a 'Championship Plus' standard with the 2nd tier resembling a 'Championship Lite'...

Reflective of where the sport really is crowd wise for me, and probably at the lowest overall standard it has ran with, but sometimes you do have to go backwards to go forwards...

Hopefully this is part of a well thought out plan of incremental growth, or who knows, maybe this standard will prove a success and provide a few years of stability for the sport? 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

They need to get title sponsors, the teams need to race for prize money. This is never going to happen until all the mickey mouse rules are done away with 

• Like 1

Just now, Baldyman said:

They need to get title sponsors, the teams need to race for prize money. This is never going to happen until all the mickey mouse rules are done away with 

The Disney Premiership has a ring about it...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Refective of where the sport really is crowd wise for me, and probably at the lowest overall standard it has ran with, but sometimes you do have to go backwards to go forwards...

Hopefully this is part of a well thought out plan of incremental growth, or who knows, maybe this standard will prove a success and provide a few years of stability for the sport? 

Agree with this.  We have to build again from a realistic base. 

We can't ignore three important facts. The centre of the speedway world is in Poland.  Geographically we are an island off the mainland of Europe.  Politically no longer being in the EU makes travelling to and working in the UK a whole lot more difficult.

We should build our leagues predominantly around UK riders and those from Australia and New Zealand who might feel the UK is a better place to be based in when Europe.

RE. growth; incremental growth is always more sustainable and easier to adjust to. Much more desirable than boom and bust.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Reducing costs reduces crowds. It always has done.

Somerset signed Jason Doyle, a world champion , and their wage bill increased massively but the crowd level went up exactly zero percent.

Good financial sense ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

Somerset signed Jason Doyle, a world champion , and their wage bill increased massively but the crowd level went up exactly zero percent.

Good financial sense ?

"Jason Who?" Would say many of the public who live in Somerset..

No disrespect at all meant to the guy because apart from Woffy I dont think any name resonates in any shape or form over here to anyone "outside the sport"..

One of the biggest hopes I think is that Discovery can use their considerable size to generate some interest from more than just the usual followers..

A bit of hype (artificial or not), wouldn't be a bad thing as a starter..