British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

22 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Think your mistaken as he has never ever ridden at Redcar.

Rode for Redcar 2012/13 and 2019.

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

BP is a woeful signing imo....

Totally agree. Pretty sure he hasn't rode over here since his stint with the Lions in 2015 and the fans couldn't wait to get him out of the door. He'll be 43 in the summer as well. I'd be amazed if Plymouth got a full season (COVID permitting) out of him.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:02 AM, Fortythirtyeight said:

Think your mistaken as he has never ever ridden at Redcar.

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Rode for Redcar 2012/13 and 2019.

Honestly 

I think one is talking about Crump and the other is referring to Ostergaard...

Could be wrong like... but genuinely here's the BIG question has Crump ever ridden at Redcar... as we all know Ostergaard has ridden there many times?

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight

20 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honeslty 

I think one is talking about Crump and the other is referring to Ostergard...

Could be wrong like... but genuinely here's the BIG question has Crump ever ridden at Redar... as we all know Ostergard has ridden there many times?

Regards 

THJ 

Yes crump rode in one of the early silver helmet meetings.

• Thanks 1

He won it in 2008

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teromaafan said:

Totally agree. Pretty sure he hasn't rode over here since his stint with the Lions in 2015 and the fans couldn't wait to get him out of the door. He'll be 43 in the summer as well. I'd be amazed if Plymouth got a full season (COVID permitting) out of him.

Age shouldn't be a barrier should it? there have been some good riders still plying there trade into their late 30's and early 40's Scott Nichols is 43 in May and Chris Harris will be 40 next year... Certainly in the Championship Bjarne should be able to do a job and hold his own to return good figures... I would have certainly liked to have seen him in our team and will look forward to watching him (Covid permitting) on his return...

Just saying like...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Age shouldn't be a barrier should it? there have been some good riders still plying there trade into their late 30's and early 40's Scott Nichols is 43 in May and Chris Harris will be 40 next year... Certainly in the Championship Bjarne should be able to do a job and hold his own to return good figures... I would have certainly liked to have seen him in our team and will look forward to watching him (Covid permitting) on his return...

Just saying like...

Regards
THJ

The main thing is bjarne signing has been well received by the Plymouth public and is already creating a buzz around the city with alot of supporters rekindling an interest in speedway a returning to support it

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lewy said:

The main thing is bjarne signing has been well received by the Plymouth public and is already creating a buzz around the city with alot of supporters rekindling an interest in speedway a returning to support it

That alone will pay for itself..  certainly planning on visiting again myself if we get the chance... love the place, nice scenery near the track too

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Just saying like...

Regards
THJ

Think the only barrier is keeping fit, their experience helps keep them out of trouble normally,  but at their age the last thing you want is a wild more inexperienced rider clattering into you, bodies don't bounce aswell at 40 than at 18/20. Having said that still be good to see them at Arlington hopefully this year,  Bjarne Pedersen and especially Scott have great race craft there.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, lewy said:

Honestly

That's what its all about to be fair and I genuinely think its a fantastic signing; Glasgow pulled of a coup a few year back with the signing of Joe Screen and he set a buzz about the place (and the league to be fair) as people like watching quality regardless of age...

1 minute ago, gazzac said:

Think the only barrier is keeping fit, their experience helps keep them out of trouble normally,  but at their age the last thing you want is a wild more inexperienced rider clattering into you, bodies don't bounce as well at 40 than at 18/20. Having said that still be good to see them at Arlington hopefully this year,  Bjarne Pedersen and especially Scott have great race craft there.  

These guys keep fit as its all they do; riders are very professional these days in how they operate and conduct themselves which is rather ironic when you consider how the sport is run (and not just in the UK)… like you say these guys have great race craft and that is also what adds to there longevity; Joe Screen was always a pleasure to watch no matter where he was riding...

Regards
THJ 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

These guys keep fit as its all they do; riders are very professional these days in how they operate and conduct themselves which is rather ironic when you consider how the sport is run (and not just in the UK)… like you say these guys have great race craft and that is also what adds to there longevity; Joe Screen was always a pleasure to watch no matter where he was riding...

Regards
THJ 

Suppose I really meant injury free, certainly Scott looks fitter than ever.

Joe Screen was a legend at Eastie especially before his bad leg break, but his idea of being fit I think was eating 1 pie instead of 2.:rolleyes:

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Plymouth are unfortunately in a position where despite the brilliant news that they are moving up, they have slim pickings with available riders given the amount of riders already signed up, so clearly the promotion are having to be creative and I just hope that whatever team we are able to put together, we can hopefully be competitive and sustainable.

The Bjarne signing for me isn't a particularly  good one if you look at his average and what he's likely to achieve (I reckon he'll average around 8), but he's always been good off the start that will help him massively at Plymouth and he should entice punters both at Plymouth and away to see a former world class rider and someone I've always thought of as a decent bloke. In addition Bjarne will, I'm sure, support any younger riders the team has. He's a 'name' and that's never a bad thing.

I'd expect Plymouth to have a bottom end that includes 2 of the 3 heat leaders that would have lined up last season in the NL (Stoneman, Bowtell, Atkins), personally I'd go for the latter two. Yes that wouldn't be that strong on paper but they are improving and would be competitive at home for sure.

If Crump turns up, well, I think every promoter in the CL should give the Plymouth promotion a massive thumbs up as it would surely swell crowd numbers whenever Plymouth are in town.

Crump or no Crump, my worry is the middle of the team, there just doesn't seem much around in the 5-7 range so it might be a case of taking a punt or two and hoping 

Edited by 4 looks good
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Sounded at the time like he didn't want to be there. Heard speculation that when he signed with Leicester, he wasn't fixed up in Sweden or Poland so accepted the offer, but by the time the season got underway, he'd secured a team place in whichever of those leagues. So the story went that he wanted out of the Leicester deal before the season began, but the Lions management played hardball, and so he just underperformed to force them to give him the push. But I have no way of knowing how true that all was.

• Like 1