British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

Good luck to Plymouth, but I thought speedway was bankrupt ?!! Hope it does not end in tears like at Workington :angry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Look at it realistically , its a bit of a sleeping giant down that way. OK, your gonna have to spend big but the catchment area is massive, its a pro league they are now in.

If normality resumes they could get some huge attendances down there in the summer, its a tidy little stadium anyway.

Also you know the top 2 wont maintain averages so wheeling and dealing should be possible with other riders 

went there in September.  Impressive progress since time before.

They have a new seated Grandstand that holds 500 on the Home Straight.

Stands on First Bend and Back-straight and banking on both bends.

Would guess about 2000 capacity.

Depends what Council allow I suppose. 

Whole structure of Club improved beyond recognition last few years since Mark Phillips took over and bought new people in.

Think as a decent sized City could average 1000

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mr Bump said:

Never mind averages, what are their combined ages?

I'd hang on until they make the next signing. A former world champ now living in California??

What is Crump's average? surely its too high for the championship or have the rules changed?

Edited by eric i

What a statement from Plymouth signing a three time world champ can't get any better than that alongside Bjarne those 2 will surely be getting 6 rides a meeting so the majority of heats should be covered.

Average wise if the conversion is in place of 1.5 from what I've heard so I think Bjarne is 10.36 (6.91) and Crump 10.50 (7.00).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy The Rebel said:

What a statement from Plymouth signing a three time world champ can't get any better than that alongside Bjarne those 2 will surely be getting 6 rides a meeting so the majority of heats should be covered.

Average wise if the conversion is in place of 1.5 from what I've heard so I think Bjarne is 10.36 (6.91) and Crump 10.50 (7.00).

DOUBT whether they will be worrying about their averages for 2022...

4 minutes ago, Paddy The Rebel said:

conversion is in place of 1.5

I thought the conversion was..... Premiership was 60% of Championship average. If crump had a 9 point Premiership average he would have 15point Championship average.

Taken from this article Jason Crump would have started 2020 on an 8.20 average. Bjarne Pedersen's last EL average was 6.91.

If the conversion rate is 1.6 the averages convert to 13.12 and 11.06 respectively, if the conversion is 1.5 as mooted on this forum those averages become 12.30 and 10.37.

With an overall team average of 39 or 38 points for the top six, and the top two taking up 24.18 or 22.67, that would leave 14.82 or 16.33 for the other four riders.

If these figuresare confirmed there will be great pressure on Crump and Pedersen to score big points every meeting.

• Like 1

Impressive start! Probably going to need a couple of inexperienced youngsters at the bottom end to fit in but can't really ask for 2 better riders to pass on their experience at this level. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

With an overall team average of 39 or 38 points for the top six, and the top two taking up 24.18 or 22.67, that would leave 14.82 or 16.33 for the other four riders.

Gordon Bennett! I wish them all the luck and appreciate the interest Crump is going to generate but that’s an extremely lopsided team :blink:

16 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Taken from this article Jason Crump would have started 2020 on an 8.20 average. Bjarne Pedersen's last EL average was 6.91.

If the conversion rate is 1.6 the averages convert to 13.12 and 11.06 respectively, if the conversion is 1.5 as mooted on this forum those averages become 12.30 and 10.37.

If these figuresare confirmed there will be great pressure on Crump and Pedersen to score big points every meeting.

I didn't think it was that high 8.20...,even so one hell of a statement there from Plymouth even if they have to go with 3 reserves so to speak at numbers 2,3,4 those top 2 should be getting around 25points per meeting minimum needing the others to get 3-4pts each to keep them competitive at most away tracks.

I remember around '05 to '07 Plymouth were one of the best attended NL clubs getting around 1400 fans regularly & that was with a poor infrastructure of a stadium that, also, regularly flooded due to the high water plain near the club. A lot of these issues are now sorted with a decent sized grandstand & bends banking, I see no reason why they shouldn't surpass 1400 again with those 2 top riders, irrespective of the other 5. The high averages will only be for team building purposes so when Crump & Pedersen get their true averages for the Championship, I would expect changes to be made. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Good luck to Plymouth, but I thought speedway was bankrupt ?!! Hope it does not end in tears like at Workington :angry:

Signing Crump and Pedersen is a calculated gamble and as long as those looking after the finances at Plymouth have got their sums right there shouldn't be an issue. If they have not Plymouth will be in all kinds of trouble.

• Like 1