British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

Fortune favours the brave or so Iv always been led to believe and Plymouth are certainly being brave, Im sure they have calculated the costs and looking at the website, there will be much more than speedway going on at "PACE" I can only hope that the Covid situation allows all the plans to go ahead.

https://www.plymouth-speedway.com/

Edited by greyhoundp

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Would Wilbur Hancock meet the criteria for a work permit?

I'd imagine he will have Dual Nationality perhaps? He's Swedish born which will qualify him for a passport.

Although I've no idea if that automatically qualifies him to race in a post-Brexit Britain?

12 minutes ago, Marksman said:

I'd imagine he will have Dual Nationality perhaps? He's Swedish born which will qualify him for a passport.

Although I've no idea if that automatically qualifies him to race in a post-Brexit Britain?

Not sure why you think that someone with dual American/Swedish nationality would be able to ride in Britain except on a visa/work permit

• Like 1

Just now, George Dodds said:

Not sure why you think that someone with dual American/Swedish nationality would be able to ride in Britain except on a visa/work permit

Yeah well of course, that's obvious!   

I mean his qualification as a EU national would be significantly easier in him gaining a T2 sportsperson visa

Anyone thinking that young Hancock is ready for a championship place in the main body of the team needs to seriously wobble their head . He's miles off that level at the moment. In a team that's going to have a seriously long tail Plymouth will need someone with more experience even if there average is low . 

• Like 4

Just now, phillwhitewasmad said:

Anyone thinking that young Hancock is ready for a championship place in the main body of the team needs to seriously wobble their head . He's miles off that level at the moment. In a team that's going to have a seriously long tail Plymouth will need someone with more experience even if there average is low . 

Your right Phil, he's only just moved from 250cc to 500cc,we will have a long tail and its my guess not alot of experience but what a fantastic opportunity for the rest of the team to learn from to great riders.

• Thanks 1

Just now, phillwhitewasmad said:

Correct, and I think people posting about him probably think this too, he is miles away from being ready. I believe he has only rode 1 senior meeting on a 500c bike!

It's not beyond the realms of possibility of him actually signing though based on Plymouth's signings so far and his links with Gerry Sims etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spin king said:

So the average that he attained in 2018 in the Championship does not count, as that states a 6 point average.

That was the last Championship average that I could find for him.

Nope - this is superseded by his Premiership average as that is more recent. I remember when he was dropped by Somerset it actually said he would struggle to pick up another team as from a certain date it would actually rise to over 9, due to the rolling averages... 

Edited by Najjer

37 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Yeah well of course, that's obvious!   

I mean his qualification as a EU national would be significantly easier in him gaining a T2 sportsperson visa

even if he qualified he would  come on on a 5 ave i would go for the ruml brothers 

1 minute ago, mac101 said:

even if he qualified he would  come on on a 5 ave i would go for the ruml brothers 

I thought Americans came in on a 4.00? I'm sure Gino and Broc both did, probably wrong though

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zaine Kennedy 4.00

3. Victor Palovaara 6.25

4. Either Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Henry Atkins 2.24

7. Nathan Stoneman/Richard Andrews 2*

Total: 38.86

If Americans do come in on 5.00 swap a Ruml for Josh MacDonald and put Kennedy at 4... What's the chances of Victor riding in Plymouth? Would be nice to see imo... Not quite BWD but a decent 3rd heat leader in that team and this league... Decent teams lineups are possible, we just have to wait and see for the final lineup... Chances are this is the 2022 team anyway, so hopefully travel restrictions are mostly lifted by then

34 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Nope - this is superseded by his Premiership average as that is more recent. I remember when he was dropped by Somerset it actually said he would struggle to pick up another team as from a certain date it would actually rise to over 9, due to the rolling averages... 

Yeah thinking about it. I now remember it been mentioned.

God only knows where Plymouth go with their team plans. 

Bowtell was due to be there last season wasn't he? 

He rode in the 3 TT I went to in September when there. 

He's a good CL reserve level with Atkins. Would hold there own with a few weak number 7s about. 

Unless there has been a change in ruling riders from Australia and the USA come in on assessed averages of 4.00.

In 2019 we brought in Zaine Kennedy and Broc Nicol on assessed 4 point averages and later Josh MacDonald on a 4 point averages.

Could do worse than Atkins at reserve. He struggled for Somerset away from home but was decent enough at home. I’d expect him to do much the same for Plymouth - and has been said many times, winning your home matches is the most important thing.