British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

5 hours ago, lewy said:

What's the track like at Stoke :t:

5 hours ago, lewy said:

Training track better than no track!

I forgotten how much of a tool you are. Stoke was a dump with a cratered track at times but it had its charms and i wouldn't ever gloat about the demise of a circuit although for you im starting to think i could mske an exception 

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I forgotten how much of a tool you are. Stoke was a dump with a cratered track at times but it had its charms and i wouldn't ever gloat about the demise of a circuit although for you im starting to think i could mske an exception 

Just stating a fact,someone slagging Plymouth off calling it a training track obviously never witnessed top riders race on it so not gloating at all,get back in your box and don't come out anytime soon.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

What a start to have Pedersen and Crump. well done Plymouth.

What are there combined averages

Only slightly less than their ages ;)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, lewy said:

Just stating a fact,someone slagging Plymouth off calling it a training track obviously never witnessed top riders race on it so not gloating at all,get back in your box and don't come out anytime soon.

I wasn't agreeing with comments about Plymouths track,  when prepared correctly its a nice race circuit and size of track or stadium isnt important but your joy at pointing out gloomy roads demise was still wrong and for a supporter of a team that has folded multiple times i would have thought you to be a little more considerate 

8 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I wasn't agreeing with comments about Plymouths track,  when prepared correctly its a nice race circuit and size of track or stadium isnt important but your joy at pointing out gloomy roads demise was still wrong and for a supporter of a team that has folded multiple times i would have thought you to be a little more considerate 

My comments were not directed at you and your opinion of Plymouth it was more at Stoke Potter who was less than complimentary about Plymouth, and having been a supporter of Plymouth when they folded i know how it feels so I didn't mean to sound as though I was gloating, an interesting fact ben barker who was loved at Stoke rates Plymouth as one of his favourite tracks. Also Plymouth haven't folded multiple times only once since they were resurrected by Mike bowden in 2006 I think it was.

• Like 1

I visited Stoke in their last season and was impressed how the place had been tidied up. The track was also decent, but the water bowser broke down mid meeting. It had its faults, but the sport can't afford to lose any venues.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lewy said:

Should never slag any track off as we need as many tracks up & running to give fans & riders enjoyment of our sport... Some say Plymouth is small but I can't comment as I've never been but me pal has a few year back & he really enjoyed it 

• Thanks 1

A few seasons ago I saw  Plymouth v Berwick whilst on holiday.

With Berwick being a big track , I wondered how they would take to a small Plymouth track.it was an excellent meeting showing great racing.

Like all tracks which create good racing , they still have to be prepared well for riders to show their talents off

I saw the Colts a couple of season ago.... the racing was just about ok.

With regards to Stoke, I used to go many years ago when John Dews was in charge of the track... indeed I would go regularly except when the Aces were riding away. Great racing and atmosphere.

I stopped going when the last management team were in charge... track frequently in a poor condition..... Poor racing ensued with inevitable decision never to give Stoke another penny of my money... No regrets... plenty of good tracks around to venture to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BobC said:

Obviously youve never been there have you?  The Arena is rented from a local school. Speedway share the pitch side dressing rooms and allow for them to keep a rugby pitch behind the back straight. There is little scope to widen the track as there is only about a 15ft walkway between the stand and rugby pitch. No point in lengthening the straights as that would create problems for riders with the extra speed going into the tight turns.

I have been a heavy critic of the state of the track preparation over recent few seasons. To the point of Mark Phillips saying he would ban me.! I say what I see and that doesnt sit easy with some people. We had several meetings called off because of the state of the track, not the weather. That said, Mark has worked his socks off in remedying the situation. I cant possibly argue with that. The last couple of meetings of 2019 you could see the effort paying off. The track did improve a fair bit.

In 2020, Plymouth ran 2 meetings under very strict Covid regulations. Their organisation was absolutely top notch. Clear instructions from volunteers at every pinch point throughout the meeting. The track itself stood up very well indeed. How much of that was due to constant preparation ,lack of weekly action, I dont know. But, in my opinion, it was a good as its ever been, if not the best ever. Before the start of the 2nd meeting. I bumped into Mark and congratulated him personally on his fore thought and arrangements. I felt 100% safe.

Add in the superb stand along the start finish straight, they made for a a good atmosphere with everyone that I know going home with a big smile. Indeed it was very disappointing when they cancelled the next fixture because the Covid situation had changed, I totally accept that.

For Mark and his team to go out and gain promotion and deliver two excellent signings shows his intent. He IS listening to fans on just about everything. I applaud him and his team on their efforts so far. I wish them well for 2021, except of course against Poole!

Totally agree with every word Bob

Track was far better than my 2018 visit with Brummies 

Facilities and Stand a great improvement. 

Stewarding and Match Presentation far better. 

Communication radically improved with some new blood brought in. 

If they can maintain 2019 standard and not slip back will be welcome addition to CL

• Like 3

It's about looking at the bigger picture, and what's good for the sport.  What showcases the sport in it's best light.

Which track is better, Plymouth or Belle Vue?  Just track not stadium.  All those who disagree with what I put above, answer the question, which is better?

If you want to save the sport in this country then it needs more tracks like Belle Vue and less that are like Plymouth and countless others I could mention.

If Arena Essex (and any club for that matter) come back then they need a copy of Belle Vue, start with the basics, track in a field. 

Get the track right and build from that.  Don't shoe-horn tracks into places where they don't really fit.

Edited by Stoke Potter
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

It's about looking at the bigger picture, and what's good for the sport.  What showcases the sport in it's best light.

Which track is better, Plymouth or Belle Vue?  Just track not stadium.  All those who disagree with what I put above, answer the question, which is better?

If you want to save the sport in this country then it needs more tracks like Belle Vue and less that are like Plymouth and countless others I could mention.

If Arena Essex (and any club for that matter) come back then they need a copy of Belle Vue, start with the basics, track in a field. 

Get the track right and build from that.  Don't shoe-horn tracks into places where they don't really fit.

Size isn't everything your Mrs told me:wub:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, lewy said:

Bloody hell you only been in the league a week not turned a wheel yet and already upsetting everyone. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Belle Vue NSS is a great track. 

Would it have ever happened though without Kirky Lane, anything but a great Track shoe-horned inside a dog track. 

Sad fact BV NSS got Council Funding that no other track is likely to get. 

Stoke when properly prepared was a good place to visit. 

Sad its been bulldozed. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately this thread is just becoming petty and I see more grown up conversations in the playground. 

completely wrong that both of you have said either a stadium should close or you think the stadium is rubbish because it doesn’t suit how you want it to be. 

the unique thing about speedway is the different styles of tracks some huge and some small and technical. 

I for one have seen some great racing at Plymouth and both other tracks all over The UK I’ve visited.

unfortunately the sports on its arse I believe because.....

The rules change every year without fail imagine if the rules changed in football every year no one would accept it. 

the teams change every year because if they do well you have to change. You do well you are punished. How can fans especially new fans get a bond with riders that change every year.

the next two for me are the biggest....

promotion and relegation and this for me is the second biggest reason speedway will never grow. How can promotion and relegation be based on what a few people at the top of the table think should be relegated and who shouldn’t.

That links in to the biggest reason how can people who OWN TEAMS in the league ever make unbiased choices that doesn’t give an advantage to their team. I think it’s crazy that the league is ran by people who are not Independent. 

I think the speedway in order to improve needs.......

clear relegation rules between 2 divisions. Scrap the national league BUT every team must run a second half meeting team ( how many in the two teams I don’t know ) could say 6 in the main meeting and 4 in the non elite meeting. Within the junior meeting 2 must be under 21 or some sort of limit. This way they get the benefit of being in and around the pits with guys who are experienced and learning without the need to take up a team spot.

I think two leagues only would work. From division two, the Top team goes up and the next 4 play off for the final promotion spot. 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd play home and away, winners play  for other for the final spot. Now yes teams may not be able to afford the best riders in the league but that’s not the challenge for them the challenge is to stay in the league. Or get promoted. 

riders can only ride for their club not two just one. 

I think riders having two averages should be scrapped and that one unique average for each rider should be there’s and there’s only. 

there will be a league trophy cup competition and a dual league trophy competition so the so called smaller clubs get the chance to race against the big boys and try it out. 

the league is run by independent people that do not own the clubs or have any involvement with clubs making the best choices for the sport as apposed for themselves. 

in terms of applying for the league every new team can enter, but they start in the bottom league of this league gets two big then this league ONLY gets split at the end of the season based on the top half and bottom half. 

Teams can’t ask for relegation or promotion and if they finish in those particular places they go up or down. If you are a smaller team with a smaller budget getting pushed up cause you won be happy and your challenge is to build a team that allows you to finish outside the bottom 2. 

Scrap rider ownership by random clubs. The team the rider rides for is owned by that club.

They can be bought/released during the season as transfer or you release the registration and is a free agent. You can also own any riders in the second team you put on.

There will be a trophy for the and this will be the development league trophy.

Speedway needs to take opinions out of the running there is to many opinions allowing things to change. 

every thing will be fact. What average is he everyone knows. If he’s British fine give him a reduction, he’s missed one season without riding at all fine he gets a reduction. The reduction could be 2% per season for a maximum of 3 seasons. 

every rider who has raced British speedway will get an updated average regularly. Personally I’d do this after every week. This will be done on one green sheet and supporters will be able to see what every riders worth is with out looking. 

Is he A new Aussie, USA etc fine 4 or 5 average. British fine can be a 3. 

Any rider can ride in any league it’s up to the club to attract them. You have a wage budget/limit for each league. This means the top league teams should be stronger. Only issue with this is the dual cup competition but this adds to the fantasy off say a smaller team beating a bigger team. 

there’s many more questions to this and probably people will disagree but just thought during lockdown I’d post my thoughts on British speedway. 

• Like 1