British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

This is a Plymouth speedway thread. I come here to read about the Gladiators.

All this other nonsense doesnt belong here.

As it happens, I prefer racing on smaller tracks..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoke Potter said:

It's about looking at the bigger picture, and what's good for the sport.  What showcases the sport in it's best light.

Which track is better, Plymouth or Belle Vue?  Just track not stadium.  All those who disagree with what I put above, answer the question, which is better?

If you want to save the sport in this country then it needs more tracks like Belle Vue and less that are like Plymouth and countless others I could mention.

If Arena Essex (and any club for that matter) come back then they need a copy of Belle Vue, start with the basics, track in a field. 

Get the track right and build from that.  Don't shoe-horn tracks into places where they don't really fit.

Utter cobblers tbh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's about looking at the bigger picture, and what's good for the sport.  What showcases the sport in it's best light.

Which track is better, Plymouth or Belle Vue?  Just track not stadium.  All those who disagree with what I put above, answer the question, which is better?

If you want to save the sport in this country then it needs more tracks like Belle Vue and less that are like Plymouth and countless others I could mention.

If Arena Essex (and any club for that matter) come back then they need a copy of Belle Vue, start with the basics, track in a field. 

Get the track right and build from that.  Don't shoe-horn tracks into places where they don't really fit.

Yes we know bell vue is a excellent track but also redcar is prepared right you can see cracking racing there too and that's not a big track.

• Like 3

Unfortunately you maybe disillusioned but speedway is NOT a big sport in the UK at the moment and if you think putting a race track in the middle of a field is going to get supporters in just because the track is big is far from the truth.

you exspect the sport to survive on people that go just because they want to see a good race and that’s it is million miles from feesable. 

you now need to make it a package to come and watch speedway. You need there to be music, entertainment, things for kids to do, you need competitions, good toilet facilities, good drinking and eating facilities. Of course you need good racing too but that’s not going to bring fans in alone. 

Plymouth is growing as club because a magnitude of things.....

1) the mascot kids love it, if kids are happy so are parents.

2) the track is now being brought up to a good standard 

3) the announcer does a great job of keeping everything up to date and the new people  informed as well as the more experienced supporter.

4) they have made new stands and seating areas that are much more pleasurable to go on.

5) the food bar serves some brilliant food now especially the curry that is made from the  Indian up the road !

6) this year the team has big names people will want to come and see them

7) the team will have one or two fans favourites people will want to come and see them.

8) you can get close to the action to watch, Litterally on top of it at the back straight.

The place isn’t the NSS but it’s never going to be after the amount of money spent on it. BUT my god they are trying to make it a family fun day/evening out and a respectable stadium and club and personally I think it’s working and Plymouth are very much a team on the up. 

unfortunately I think you have something against Plymouth speedway I don't know why nor do I care. For what it’s worth I enjoyed going to stoke the last time Plymouth went, the track was about 3 inch deep in sludge and yeah it wasn’t great sat on cracked steps with weeds coming up or the fact that you can’t walk around the track and get close to the action, but that’s what made stoke Stoke same when I’ve been wolves, Coventry etc they have something unique and special about them.   

• Like 4

Utter rubbish ,your losing the plot.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I watched racing at both West Ham, Wimbledon and New Cross in the 60s. I always preferred Wimbledon and New Cross because I felt the riders got spread out too much but I know people who preferred the bigger West Ham track. That does not make me right and them wrong, it shows that people have different opinions and variety is good. 

Please can posters accept other opinions are genuine and therefore valid. I have a very good friend who like me enjoys oval car racing. He prefers the Hot Rods while I prefer the Stock Cars. We both enjoy watching racing and don't treat the others view as rubbish and neither should posters on this forum.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I watched racing at both West Ham, Wimbledon and New Cross in the 60s. I always preferred Wimbledon and New Cross because I felt the riders got spread out too much but I know people who preferred the bigger West Ham track. That does not make me right and them wrong, it shows that people have different opinions and variety is good. 

Please can posters accept other opinions are genuine and therefore valid. I have a very good friend who like me enjoys oval car racing. He prefers the Hot Rods while I prefer the Stock Cars. We both enjoy watching racing and don't treat the others view as rubbish and neither should posters on this forum.

Exactly,,, everyone should just agree with each other and, then it's all lovely.  ;)

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Exactly,,, everyone should just agree with each other and, then it's all lovely.  ;)

I did not say agree! I said accept that other opinions are valid. 

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I did not say agree! I said accept that other opinions are valid. 

Yeah, that's what a meant.

having only seen racing at Cleveland Park as a kid, watching at the Shay and BV was like watching a different sport and i have to say i didn't like it at first, it seemed like twist and go where CP was a technical track and needed a bit more control. If you only have linited space you can only have a small track. When i first went to Redcar I couldn't believe how small it was but the racings fine. Maybe someone should do a study on passing on small v large tracks

28 minutes ago, ch958 said:

having only seen racing at Cleveland Park as a kid, watching at the Shay and BV was like watching a different sport and i have to say i didn't like it at first, it seemed like twist and go where CP was a technical track and needed a bit more control. If you only have linited space you can only have a small track. When i first went to Redcar I couldn't believe how small it was but the racings fine. Maybe someone should do a study on passing on small v large tracks

Unless you get a circuit that riders describe as 'smallish but rides like a big track'?!

Anyway Plymouth v Poole in round one of the Championship KO Cup (2 legs) - winners to meet Eagles or Kings in Quarter final.

Edited by Skidder1

18 hours ago, lewy said:

Size isn't everything your Mrs told me:wub:

shes lieing 

• Haha 1

sticking my two-penneth in on track preferences ?

It's all about the prep imo.....(trying to avoid the obvious 'size' puns...) :D

A smooth, safe, grippy (not slick) track provides differing values of entertainment?

Seeing someone going flat out, regardless of any passing, is a thrill for me at times!

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

sticking my two-penneth in on track preferences ?

It's all about the prep imo.....(trying to avoid the obvious 'size' puns...) :D

A smooth, safe, grippy (not slick) track provides differing values of entertainment?

Seeing someone going flat out, regardless of any passing, is a thrill for me at times!

You are spot on for me and it is all about track preparation and no matter what the size of the track; the prep provides the racing...

Derwent Park Workington a big rangy track and I couldn't stand the racing on it when it had dirt on the track and was watered to within an inch of its life each week... then came the team of 2018 and Steve Lawson doing the track prep and the Dane's in the team wanted the track as slick as possible and Steve duly complied and the place was transformed from a mainly "gate and go" to an absolutely fantastic "fast" racetrack with the room to allow for passing (at speed) and Steve's effort wasn't really appreciated in that  H18tory making season but he became the 8th man and to be fair it went against his own better judgement and ingrained belief that a slick track wouldn't be best suited for good quality racing at Derwent Park; but even he said he was converted by the end of the season... shame its no more...

The next track to watch for me is Berwick (another big track) because the "Guy's" up there have put in a great deal of work and effort in improving the track and at the practice session I attended towards the end of last season (when we thought we might get some racing in at the back end of the season) it looked really good and I think the racing will improve no end with the changes made... here's a prediction that Shielfield Park will be getting plenty of compliments for the racing there this season from all and sundry...

On my one and only visit to Plymouth a few year back now (their last foray into the 2nd League) the racing was fast and furious and although the track was a bit dusty the racing and passing was spot on and good to watch... hopefully its the same trackman as it looked like he was doing a good job... However with the two big hitters in the team I am no doubt sure they will have a say in how the track is prepared... and why not?

You can nearly smell that methanol... not long now hopefully... fingers crossed (and everything else for that matter)…

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You are spot on for me and it is all about track preparation and no matter what the size of the track; the prep provides the racing...

Derwent Park Workington a big rangy track and I couldn't stand the racing on it when it had dirt on the track and was watered to within an inch of its life each week... then came the team of 2018 and Steve Lawson doing the track prep and the Dane's in the team wanted the track as slick as possible and Steve duly complied and the place was transformed from a mainly "gate and go" to an absolutely fantastic "fast" racetrack with the room to allow for passing (at speed) and Steve's effort wasn't really appreciated in that  H18tory making season but he became the 8th man and to be fair it went against his own better judgement and ingrained belief that a slick track wouldn't be best suited for good quality racing at Derwent Park; but even he said he was converted by the end of the season... shame its no more...

The next track to watch for me is Berwick (another big track) because the "Guy's" up there have put in a great deal of work and effort in improving the track and at the practice session I attended towards the end of last season (when we thought we might get some racing in at the back end of the season) it looked really good and I think the racing will improve no end with the changes made... here's a prediction that Shielfield Park will be getting plenty of compliments for the racing there this season from all and sundry...

On my one and only visit to Plymouth a few year back now (their last foray into the 2nd League) the racing was fast and furious and although the track was a bit dusty the racing and passing was spot on and good to watch... hopefully its the same trackman as it looked like he was doing a good job... However with the two big hitters in the team I am no doubt sure they will have a say in how the track is prepared... and why not?

You can nearly smell that methanol... not long now hopefully... fingers crossed (and everything else for that matter)…

Regards
THJ

Hi John hope you're well.  Was not the BSPL and the scb gona try to sort tracks and try to get a standard across all tracks?