British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

On 2/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, northyorksbear said:

I can say with 100% certainty PHIL Crump has NOT ridden at Redcar :t:  

But he did race against the Teesside "Teessiders" which I am guessing was the old track under the A19/A66 off ramp where the 5 a side pitches are now?

Teesside 42 v Crewe 35 Thursday 6th May 1971 (British League Division ll)
Teesside 42
1. Bruce Forrester 2* 3 3 3... 11 1
2. Dave Durham 3 1 1 1... 6 0
3. Bob Jameson 1 2 3 Ret... 6 0
4. Dene Davies 1 0 0 1... 2 0
5. Tim Swales 3 3 2 3... 11 0
6. Tony Swales 3 0 0 1... 4 0
7. Pete Reading 2* 0 N... 2 1
Crewe 35
1. Barry Meeks 0 2 0 1*… 3 1
2. Ian Bottomley 1 1* TS 2... 4 1
3. John Jackson 3 2 3 3 0... 11 0
4. Dai Evans 2 3 2 2... 9 0
5. Dave Parry 0 1 0 N... 1 0
6. Garry Moore Fell 0 N... 0 0
7. Phil Crump F Exc 2* 2* 1 2... 7 2

So just like him I was near but no coconut I'm afraid... good luck to Jason and Plymouth and I am looking forward to their visit "Up North" and I will probably take in the Redcar meeting as well as the Newcastle one of course...

Regards
THJ

9 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Hi John hope you're well.  Was not the BSPL and the scb gona try to sort tracks and try to get a standard across all tracks?

Correct it was mooted and another great idea.... However I don't think I ever heard it mentioned again.. Doh... lol...

Must have been gonna cost someone important some money they didn't want to spend and that was the end of that I guess...

Regards
THJ

57 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You are spot on for me and it is all about track preparation and no matter what the size of the track; the prep provides the racing...

Derwent Park Workington a big rangy track and I couldn't stand the racing on it when it had dirt on the track and was watered to within an inch of its life each week... then came the team of 2018 and Steve Lawson doing the track prep and the Dane's in the team wanted the track as slick as possible and Steve duly complied and the place was transformed from a mainly "gate and go" to an absolutely fantastic "fast" racetrack with the room to allow for passing (at speed) and Steve's effort wasn't really appreciated in that  H18tory making season but he became the 8th man and to be fair it went against his own better judgement and ingrained belief that a slick track wouldn't be best suited for good quality racing at Derwent Park; but even he said he was converted by the end of the season... shame its no more...

The next track to watch for me is Berwick (another big track) because the "Guy's" up there have put in a great deal of work and effort in improving the track and at the practice session I attended towards the end of last season (when we thought we might get some racing in at the back end of the season) it looked really good and I think the racing will improve no end with the changes made... here's a prediction that Shielfield Park will be getting plenty of compliments for the racing there this season from all and sundry...

On my one and only visit to Plymouth a few year back now (their last foray into the 2nd League) the racing was fast and furious and although the track was a bit dusty the racing and passing was spot on and good to watch... hopefully its the same trackman as it looked like he was doing a good job... However with the two big hitters in the team I am no doubt sure they will have a say in how the track is prepared... and why not?

You can nearly smell that methanol... not long now hopefully... fingers crossed (and everything else for that matter)…

Regards
THJ

For the first time i am going to going against u, the racing at derwent park in the early days was a lot better with tony swales doing the track, watching riders use the dirt and banking on turns 3 and 4 was a joy to watch.when a.denham was doing it the racing was as good but a little less passing thats when crowds started to drop, i agree steve done a good job but for me it was to slick very little passing on top 2 turns .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I watched racing at both West Ham, Wimbledon and New Cross in the 60s.

Both the three. :blink::drink:

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

For the first time i am going to going against u, the racing at derwent park in the early days was a lot better with tony swales doing the track, watching riders use the dirt and banking on turns 3 and 4 was a joy to watch.when a.denham was doing it the racing was as good but a little less passing thats when crowds started to drop, i agree steve done a good job but for me it was to slick very little passing on top 2 turns .

Its what its all about mate... differing opinions and I wasn't there when Swales done the track only Anthony D but earlier days and different bikes and set ups back then; however there was some cracking racing there when Steve Lawson took on the job and when Dickie Juul got Rasser fired up there was passing a plenty on 3 and 4; in fact Dickie got all the Danes fired up to be fair and he was a class act in the pits... But I have different memories and Steve's track prep had a lot to do with that 2018 season but there you go... still a miss though... I would be happy to go to a "Shot Tip" if we could have it back...

Regards
THJ

• Like 4

Wouldn't be surprised if Pontus Gaard was unveiled as the next rider for the Gladiators, what a team this is shaping up to be.

Just now, OdsalBoy said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Pontus Gaard was unveiled as the next rider for the Gladiators, what a team this is shaping up to be.

Who?

workington in its last year was great to ride even in the second half meetings my son loved it there berwick we will wait and see but speaking to a few riders who had a practice on it they said it’s still the same line into the corners but when it comes to racing riders will ride it differently  when the adrenaline kicks in plymouth defiantly  got better towards the end of the 2019 season   the track which i think will improve greatly will be kent great set up apart from where the pits are situated now having banking on the bends will make it a lot faster pretty sure the BSPA  have a track inspector now and will oversee tracks looking at what equipment clubs and how to best use it and advice on how to prep tracks but will need to see what comes of it redcar glasgow are up there with the best tracks also 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 1

Plymouth's tack developed brilliantly as their meeting with Eastbourne and IoW went on. Led to some super racing with a grandstand finish. 

Good as you could ever want (Eastbourne won! but the track evolved)

• Like 2

On 2/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, HGould said:

Totally agree with every word Bob

Track was far better than my 2018 visit with Brummies 

Facilities and Stand a great improvement. 

Stewarding and Match Presentation far better. 

Communication radically improved with some new blood brought in. 

If they can maintain 2019 standard and not slip back will be welcome addition to CL

Fully agree with yours and Bobs post.

Plymouth have done everything and more to get the track and stadium up to scratch.

Probably one of the most productive management teams in the business right now.

Absolutely brilliant news on their elevation to CL, the signings so far. I wish them all the best and hopefully look forward to another visit this season and also may I add a very good racetrack which every track needs. 

Edited by stevebrum
Added detail
  • Like 4

I think every single track could be great if they all had a trackman like Doc Bridget, or terry who does wolves and sure he done redcar and helped at stoke towards the end they are a dying breed and if every track was  like belle vue it would be the fastest riders wins in most cases different track help develope riders ,how many riders always pull a sicky or really struggle when they have to go to Armadale it’s got to be one of the hardest to ride get the setup right it’s a bit easier Spannered for jack holder when he came up a few years ago don’t think he managed 2 full races he  fell off second time then pulled out the meeting said his head was sore but just wanted out the place lol not the first rider i heard saying that  Eastbourne also comes into the hard to ride category never follow the line into the first bend or you will end up on the center green but it’s a great home track advantage like Armadale 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

But he did race against the Teesside "Teessiders" which I am guessing was the old track under the A19/A66 off ramp where the 5 a side pitches are now?

Teesside 42 v Crewe 35 Thursday 6th May 1971 (British League Division ll)
Teesside 42
1. Bruce Forrester 2* 3 3 3... 11 1
2. Dave Durham 3 1 1 1... 6 0
3. Bob Jameson 1 2 3 Ret... 6 0
4. Dene Davies 1 0 0 1... 2 0
5. Tim Swales 3 3 2 3... 11 0
6. Tony Swales 3 0 0 1... 4 0
7. Pete Reading 2* 0 N... 2 1
Crewe 35
1. Barry Meeks 0 2 0 1*… 3 1
2. Ian Bottomley 1 1* TS 2... 4 1
3. John Jackson 3 2 3 3 0... 11 0
4. Dai Evans 2 3 2 2... 9 0
5. Dave Parry 0 1 0 N... 1 0
6. Garry Moore Fell 0 N... 0 0
7. Phil Crump F Exc 2* 2* 1 2... 7 2

So just like him I was near but no coconut I'm afraid... good luck to Jason and Plymouth and I am looking forward to their visit "Up North" and I will probably take in the Redcar meeting as well as the Newcastle one of course...

Regards
THJ

He also rode in 1972 - went through the card to get a 15 point maximum and win Open Championship

went through the card to get an 18 point maximum in Eng v Australia international

scored 11 from 4 rides in league match

So 15 rides and only beaten once (by Frank Auffret)

Top class rider

• Like 1

I would like say that I personally appreciate the warm  welcome most of you have extended to the Plymouth gladiators and what they are trying to achieve speedway fans have shown that they can see the bigger picture and the survival/revival of the sport is the most important, thats it for me being nice i,ve got scunthorpe fans to wind up only joking even scunthorpe fans  have been good :t:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

never been to Plymouth but might just make a visit this year (if we can), Crump will be immense on a small track.

i think dear old Colin Hill's legecy or part of it was used by the club years ago, so there's a piece of Exeter there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevehone said:

never been to Plymouth but might just make a visit this year (if we can), Crump will be immense on a small track.

i think dear old Colin Hill's legecy or part of it was used by the club years ago, so there's a piece of Exeter there

Yes we have a stand on the back straight "The Colin Hill Stand"which provides great viewing as does the new seated stand on the home straight. 

• Like 1