British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

10 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

How can a work permit be given out when British riders with similar averages are still looking for jobs? :blink:

Just looking who has already signed up for teams and the green sheets for the end of 2019 who did you have in mind on a 4.00 average?

19 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

5.61 left as far as I can tell

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zach Cook 4.00

4. Dillon Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Alfie Bowtell 3.02

7. Henry Atkins (2*)

Total: 33.39

That team will take some beatings IMO,but good luck to them a hope they come through OK.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zach Cook 4.00

4. Dillon Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Alfie Bowtell 3.02

7. Henry Atkins (2*)

A nice Zach Wajtknecht sized gap on 5.27, Although I did hear that he had some concerns about clashes with Longtrack GPs and also getting back to Plymouth from some of the German Monday meetings so the Gladiators may have gone down a different route.

I reckon the last rider will be a bit of a surprise that none of us see coming.

As for the team, I think it's great to have young riders that can develop and on 4 point averages they aren't too big a gamble imo. For this team to be competitive you have to think that one of Cook, Ruml or the final rider will have to hit the ground running and score big points early on but that said I do think at home Plymouth will compete. After the first set of averages when Crump and Pedersen likely free up about 4 points, Plymouth should be able to strengthen considerably in the middle order, if required.

9 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

As for the team, I think it's great to have young riders that can develop and on 4 point averages they aren't too big a gamble imo. For this team to be competitive you have to think that one of Cook, Ruml or the final rider will have to hit the ground running and score big points early on but that said I do think at home Plymouth will compete. After the first set of averages when Crump and Pedersen likely free up about 4 points, Plymouth should be able to strengthen considerably in the middle order, if required.

So you think it great to develop young riders,then in the next sentence you are going to have to drop them to get a higher middle order man to strengthen the Team!:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zach Cook 4.00

4. Dillon Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Alfie Bowtell 3.02

7. Henry Atkins (2*)

You are correct, tried working out via the confirmed signings thread up the top and did t realise they already took Atkins average off. 

Whoever it is could be a short term sacrificial lamb who gets a few meetings to put themselves in the window before being replaced when the real averages are out. Obviously if all the youngsters get off to a flier that could spoil the 'plans'. Theres definitely a lot of money going into this team though with the visa sponsorships and the heat leaders costs / guarantee's. 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

So you think it great to develop young riders,then in the next sentence you are going to have to drop them to get a higher middle order man to strengthen the Team!:rolleyes:

I said 'if required'. Also nothing stopping us strengthening with another youngster is there.

• Confused 1

As Edinburgh were previously denied a Work Permit for Luke Becker not finshing in the top 4 of the current US State Championship, how does Dillon Ruml qualify for a permit, given he was not in the top 4 in the US this Season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

As Edinburgh were previously denied a Work Permit for Luke Becker not finshing in the top 4 of the current US State Championship, how does Dillon Ruml qualify for a permit, given he was not in the top 4 in the US this Season?

Finished top 4 in the US national 2 seasons ago. So qualifies through that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

They started with 2 surprises that no one saw coming so would be excellent for the last one to be another one. 
It makes you wonder why the BSPA were so against them joining for the past couple of seasons. They have been a breath of fresh air and excitement to British season for, hopefully, the new season.

Some of the more established promotions could learn a thing or two from the Plymouth promotion. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Sherborne Green said:

Just looking who has already signed up for teams and the green sheets for the end of 2019 who did you have in mind on a 4.00 average?

That's the point though isn't it.  By giving these riders a low assessed average of 4.00 you can't blame the promoters for going for two assessed foreign riders ahead of say a UK 5.00 and 3.00 who maybe haven't shown signs of improvement.  It always seems worth the gamble especially now you might have seen footage of the foreign rider in action and apparently they become an asset of the club rather pay a loan fee.

Had those assessed foreign averages been 5.00 then there's some more jeopardy as to whether a newcomer would achieve that level so the likes of Mountain, Greaves, Sarjeant, Kinsley, Smith and Ruddick might have got places.  Notwithstanding that there are still places available elsewhere so hopefully they do all get fixed up.

But you can see the incentive to go for a new foreign rider on 4.00 over a UK rider which doesn't really fit in with the Rising Star ethos.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, enotian said:

That's the point though isn't it.  By giving these riders a low assessed average of 4.00 you can't blame the promoters for going for two assessed foreign riders ahead of say a UK 5.00 and 3.00 who maybe haven't shown signs of improvement.  It always seems worth the gamble especially now you might have seen footage of the foreign rider in action and apparently they become an asset of the club rather pay a loan fee.

Had those assessed foreign averages been 5.00 then there's some more jeopardy as to whether a newcomer would achieve that level so the likes of Mountain, Greaves, Sarjeant, Kinsley, Smith and Ruddick might have got places.  Notwithstanding that there are still places available elsewhere so hopefully they do all get fixed up.

But you can see the incentive to go for a new foreign rider on 4.00 over a UK rider which doesn't really fit in with the Rising Star ethos.

That would wash if the foreign rider just came in on a 4.00 average and was on a comparable deal to a Brit but when they are sponsored there is accommodation supplied, workshop facilities a guaranteed wage etc. If the emerging Brits were afforded this level of luxury they could they could focus on racing, fitness and bike prep without the additional stresses of having to earn enough to keep a roof over their heads.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, enotian said:

Spot on...

The sport has riddled itself over the years with "journeymen" from overseas that have been on an almost revolving door basis..

"Tried him, didnt work. Next!"

Must have collectively paid huge money out too for what on a lot of occasions has been short term results...

• Like 1