British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

As a Plymouth fan I think we are in an almost win win situation.....

we have 2 huge names at the top and several riders that are going to learn and work as hard as they can. 

now the win win part.....

everyone hits the ground running.... perfect

if people struggle then after 4 home and 4 away meetings a new set of averages are out and I can imagine Plymouth will more than likely have a few points spare to play with when this happens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

An unproven Brit wont have an average of 4 ? :) 

I think Plymouth fans will be spoilt by watching JC every week, but I  think they will struggle as a team.....

Hope I'm proved wrong! :t:

the D of E don't care about averages just employment for Brits above foreigners

• Like 2

Frustratingly once the first set of averages are out and if the side is struggling a little its likely to be Bowtell in the firing line, Cook & Ruml have had a fair amount of investment into them if they ride or don't so unless one or other is a complete dud they will keep their places leaving Bowtell or maybe Goret as the likely changed riders. I hope im wrong and the 3-7 all perform well and bang in the points to keep their places but it looks a big ask for the top two to consistently score 25+ points between them and still find the other 20 points needed to get something out of a match, so much so that i can see the outcome of heat 2 deciding if Plymouth win or lose.

I really think your promotion has got a winner in Dillon Ruml. I saw him back in 2017 as an 18 year old riding for the American dream team at Kent, and a couple of his races were worth the price of admission alone. He looked a really exciting racer, on a track he had obviously never seen before. Four year on, he's done well Stateside and clearly has ambitions to follow in the footsteps of Becker and Nicol. I would have loved to have seen him at Central Park in 2021 and watched his development, rather than see the comeback of a 45 year old.........

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Frustratingly once the first set of averages are out and if the side is struggling a little its likely to be Bowtell in the firing line, Cook & Ruml have had a fair amount of investment into them if they ride or don't so unless one or other is a complete dud they will keep their places leaving Bowtell or maybe Goret as the likely changed riders. I hope im wrong and the 3-7 all perform well and bang in the points to keep their places but it looks a big ask for the top two to consistently score 25+ points between them and still find the other 20 points needed to get something out of a match, so much so that i can see the outcome of heat 2 deciding if Plymouth win or lose.

The Plymouth promotion have already stated they will not be making any changes except in the case of injury or a rider not getting to grips with the Plymouth track,certainly no changes will be made just to up the points tally its just about becoming established and competitive in the championship which I think we will be, certainly entertaining can't wait to get going. 

• Like 3

Off to Cornwall for a weeks holiday in July, so hopefully will take in the Leicester match..

And then Poole on the Wednesday maybe (not been given permission yet, but to be fair, it's because I haven't mentioned it yet...);)

Will be great to see Crumpy again....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lewy said:

The Plymouth promotion have already stated they will not be making any changes except in the case of injury or a rider not getting to grips with the Plymouth track,certainly no changes will be made just to up the points tally its just about becoming established and competitive in the championship which I think we will be, certainly entertaining can't wait to get going. 

I certainly hope that Plymouth are competitive as stars aside it will do neither the home fans or the league any good to be whipping boys most weeks. Im yet to be convinced that this team has many hallmarks of success about it BUT i would be delighted to be proved wrong.

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I certainly hope that Plymouth are competitive as stars aside it will do neither the home fans or the league any good to be whipping boys most weeks. Im yet to be convinced that this team has many hallmarks of success about it BUT i would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I think you will be proved wrong Plymouth will be far from the whipping boys imo,in Bowtell and atkins we have have a very strong reserve pairing only bettered by 2 or 3 teams imo,Atkins will surprise a few people this year i think he will make good progress  Bowtell has been unlucky with injury but if he stays fit he will do fine,Cook,ruml and goret all have huge potential and will become assets so all in all the Plymouth supporters are very excited and hopeful of some exciting speedway this season, I predict we will finish 6th place at worst. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

As everyone knows a 'poor team' is generally regarded as "overall bad for business" as they get beat at home and dont then generally attract a crowd away from home so all clubs then suffer..

One reason Plymouth have been allowed in I would think is that they have one of the all time greats of the sport in their team in Jason Crump and another ex 'World level' rider in Bjarne Pederson basically doing a "farewell tour"...

Add in a couple of exciting potential new talents from the USA and France and you will certainly have something to 'sell' each week for both the home and away promotions..

And 12 months later, when established and with more time to plan, they can then start to build on what will hopefully have been a good year..

They seem a progressive promoting team down there so that alone can only be an asset to the sport...

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ch958 said:

the D of E don't care about averages just employment for Brits above foreigners

Where I live, it feels like the D of E favour employment for foreigners over Brits?! :D

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

As everyone knows a 'poor team' is generally regarded as "overall bad for business" as they get beat at home and dont then generally attract a crowd away from home so all clubs then suffer..

One reason Plymouth have been allowed in I would think is that they have one of the all time greats of the sport in their team in Jason Crump and another ex 'World level' rider in Bjarne Pederson basically doing a "farewell tour"...

Add in a couple of exciting potential new talents from the USA and France and you will certainly have something to 'sell' each week for both the home and away promotions..

And 12 months later, when established and with more time to plan, they can then start to build on what will hopefully have been a good year..

They seem a progressive promoting team down there so that alone can only be an asset to the sport...

Obviously i hope that is the case and that the Plymouth farewell roadshow continues to draw the crowds (i admit im equally keen to see the legends again) however if they are not as dominant as they should be at this level my interest would wain and a fear others would feel the same, if the team is bottom two which is my opinion of it then there could be problems this season. I do however hope im wrong and its a mid table team and gives a base to build upon for future seasons.

Apologies forgot about Newcastle and Brum....updated to bottom 3 side

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Obviously i hope that is the case and that the Plymouth farewell roadshow continues to draw the crowds (i admit im equally keen to see the legends again) however if they are not as dominant as they should be at this level my interest would wain and a fear others would feel the same, if the team is bottom two which is my opinion of it then there could be problems this season. I do however hope im wrong and its a mid table team and gives a base to build upon for future seasons.

Apologies forgot about Newcastle and Brum....updated to bottom 3 side

Think you may be surprised with the team 

1 minute ago, Trackerman48 said:

Think you may be surprised with the team 

I hope i am. I rate the reserve pairing and obviously the heat leader duo were world class but its a big ask for the other 3 running at 2,3 &4 (that's if they run that way of course as i would be tempted to put Bjarne at 3 and spread the burden a little). There's no doubting potential of the the riders but as yet that's all it is. Ruml isn't the top American, Cook is the best of the untried Aussies and Goret has some youth pedigree and Longtarck experience but little more. I want these riders to succeed but its far from a guarantee and unless at least two of them fire early on the side will be in trouble. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:28 PM, lewy said:

If they don't make changes will be a fight to avoid the wooden spoon imo!

Edited by szkocjasid

Season tickets are on sale for the gladiators on Plymouth-speedway.com 

• Like 1