British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

13 hours ago, lewy said:

No its not you have been fed the wrong info.:nono:

Says it on the Plymouth Gladiators official facebook page… I’ll listen to them over you I think:t:

‘Ben getting read for tonight’s meeting, he is keen to get his hand on some of that £10k prize pot 

#plymouthgladiators #plymouthspeedway’

5 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Says it on the Plymouth Gladiators official facebook page… I’ll listen to them over you I think:t:

‘Ben getting read for tonight’s meeting, he is keen to get his hand on some of that £10k prize pot 

#plymouthgladiators #plymouthspeedway’

Quite right it does, but that info is wrong, it was much more :blush:

A ten thousand pound prize fund? Why didn’t they offer £2,000 and spend £8000 on widening and improving this tiny track to produce acceptable level of racing?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A ten thousand pound prize fund? Why didn’t they offer £2,000 and spend £8000 on widening and improving this tiny track to produce acceptable level of racing?

I can only assume you didn’t attend last night? Great racing. Compliments on the track from Danny King and others…. Thoroughly enjoyable meeting for all involved and spectating. 

43 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Says the Poole fan where the riders constantly praise the track at Wimborne Road,you really should refrain from criticising other tracks especially when you were not even present to witness a fine meeting with loads of passing and close racing as it only confirms what most people already think of you,enough said!

• Like 1

What was the crowd level like? 

Did a 'decent' prize fund with a meeting that then 'meant something' generate a good number of attendees?

Or was it the same (or worse), than a team match?

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Says the Poole fan where the riders constantly praise the track at Wimborne Road,you really should refrain from criticising other tracks especially when you were not even present to witness a fine meeting with loads of passing and close racing as it only confirms what most people already think of you,enough said!

Poole track has had its surface issues recently but is a superb Race track with passing on every bend. Far superior in every aspect over the Plymouth track. A much lesser rider can gate at Plymouth and ride a sensible line to keep far better riders behind him. Let’s see him try that at Wimborne Road. I have witnessed at first hand the Plymouth track.

Perhaps you should come up for today’s meeting and afterwards tell me that you believe Plymouth is a better track. :D

The Plymouth Promoter (Mark) said in video interview after the meeting that he was sorry that the track was far too dusty and there was hardly any overtaking??!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lewy said:

If Wimborne Rd is praised by the riders then a Poole fan would have a good idea of what a good track looks like?

If someone pays money to watch, they are entitled to critique the product.

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just for the larger speedway public who mistake this for anything other than an opinion and mistakingly confuse it with something founded on fact or knowledge:

Here’s the quote from Danny King 

‘I’ve ridden here a few times now this season and it’s a track I enjoy riding and it always produces great racing’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HackneyHawk said:

If Wimborne Rd is praised by the riders then a Poole fan would have a good idea of what a good track looks like?

If someone pays money to watch, they are entitled to critique the product.

Agree if you pay the money to watch you are entitled to offer critique  but Shovlar wasn't even in attendance of the meeting we are discussing, let's be honest all tracks have different issues at different times dust,holes appearing, blue groove, too wet etc but just to offer up a totally mis informed view or opinion based on if its not at Poole its not good enough!surely if the attendance has been increasing week on week the product must be good and riders of the caliber of pedersen,King,Cook,Harris, riss enjoy riding at Plymouth it must be ok! If as fans we put a more positive spin on things instead of slagging off other clubs,facilities track etc it would benefit everyone in increasing the chances of attracting new fans or old fans back.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

What was the crowd level like? 

Did a 'decent' prize fund with a meeting that then 'meant something' generate a good number of attendees?

Or was it the same (or worse), than a team match?

I would say it was slightly higher than a team match,nut the numbers have been increasing steadily to be fair. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Plymouth Promoter (Mark) said in video interview after the meeting that he was sorry that the track was far too dusty and there was hardly any overtaking??!!

similar to ours then :t:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole track has had its surface issues recently but is a superb Race track with passing on every bend. Far superior in every aspect over the Plymouth track. A much lesser rider can gate at Plymouth and ride a sensible line to keep far better riders behind him. Let’s see him try that at Wimborne Road. I have witnessed at first hand the Plymouth track.

Perhaps you should come up for today’s meeting and afterwards tell me that you believe Plymouth is a better track. :D

Hang on, isn't the idea of a much lesser rider, keeping better riders behind them a good spectacle? Maybe that's just me and my routing for the underdog but I'd much rather watch close racing whereby anyone of the 4 that lines up at the tapes can win rather than knowing who will win each time the tapes fly up.

It also means that no matter who visits Plymouth, they've got a chance of winning and I'd choose that every time over knowing the home team will win easy each week. But then my priority when watching speedway is to see close racing and entertainment 1st, my team winning 2nd.

I've been to Poole a fair few times and would say the racing has varied but there is no way I'd say it produces far better racing than Plymouth (or any other track for that matter). 

Poole will probably batter Plymouth tonight and I bet the racing will be nowhere near as close as it was in the reverse fixture.

• Like 3