British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

It’s a shame that with the state speedway is on still want to take digs at other tracks. 

I can assure you that Plymouth fans, riders, helpers and anyone in Plymouth have loved this season and could t be happier. I’ve loved this season involved with Plymouth and there’s a real buzz around the place and excitement for next year. Plymouth will be a big team next year and have success. 

crowd was 850 last night I believe and the season high was just under 1000 vs Birmingham. Crowds have grown and grown this season as stated by mark in his after match interview last night. 

The issue is when people can write as they wish on a forum it’s easier to talk rubbish and hide when you have an agenda against someone.

id full support all tracks and not put them down every time because sooner or later promoters/fans/managers/riders will get sick off the rubbish online and jack it in and then before you know it you’ll have no teams to take aim and dig at.

what’s your actual issue with Plymouth speedway ?! 

what do you do to help speedway clubs ? I have no idea who you are for all I know you could be a promoter, rider, manager  or a fan but I’m Intreagued. 

for what it’s worth I hope it’s a good crowd and good meeting at Poole tonight and fans go away happy and return.  

• Like 2

It was a fair night of racing Danny King was clearly the top rider on show but Bjarne Pedersen rolled back the years to give him a run for the money in the final. It was good to see Crumpy take the "B" final even if he was given a flyer but the old man needs a little help sometimes. Still an awsome superstar.

Downsides, It was very dusty even if they tried to keep the dust down with watering every couple of races it was far to dusty. Also this led to the first 12 races taking over two hours to finish. but the worst for me was after they gave out the riders for the final & I with many others had marked down which helmet colour each rider would wear in each final they came out in a different order, Thankfully it was noticed & my programme remained correct to the announcments (Thanks control box)

21 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

Funny how Bjarne’s form has plummeted in recent weeks!!!

He hasn't scored so well since he's moved to number 1. He is still a class act the ultimate professional its been a privilege watching him this season. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Plymouth Promoter (Mark) said in video interview after the meeting that he was sorry that the track was far too dusty and there was hardly any overtaking??!!

There is a bias by a few posters connected with Plymouth that start glowing about the track and racing even if it’s 15 heats of processional racing ! Some of the comments about last nights meeting are a classic example the above quote sums it up in contrast to certain posters.  It’s like some are on the payroll! I’ve been to most meetings and I’d say the following :

1. Well done to the promotion on a slick presentation and providing competitive speedway in the south west especially after the Rebels sad demise. Thank you for live  speedway !

2. The racing is compromised by its shape and size and anyone disputing that needs to be objective and the racing is sometimes very processional , but the size does none the less keep the racing close. If the track could ever be widened that would be hugely beneficial but I expect it is cost prohibitive.I’ve seen many riders bust a gut for 4 laps on the outside and they have simply  gone backwards. 

3 . The people are very friendly and welcoming  and it’s a very pleasant evening out - again well done to the club and all the volunteers connected with the club. 

Finally I wish the club all the best over the winter and I look forward to returning again in 2022. 

• Like 2

Agree the majority of fans are friendly there. As you say some are blind to the track shape and the “racing” it provides. Four riders close together might be exciting to some but often a junior can lead a race and much more experienced riders can bust a gut and get nowhere. The track is far too narrow, which makes most heats a procession. 

When Poole rode there earlier this season there was one pass of note in 15 heats, when Schlein litterally forced himself under Bowtell off the last bend, causing Bowtell to throw a wobbly after the heat. Perhaps they could move the back straight back ten metres to widen the track. It would mean a more circular track, but it would certainly improve the spectacle.

10 hours ago, lewy said:

He hasn't scored so well since he's moved to number 1. He is still a class act the ultimate professional its been a privilege watching him this season. 

In fairness he has been the best rider on show at scunny all season 

• Like 1

Hopefully loads of Plymouth fans will travel up to Poole next month for Bjarnes farewell. He is a Pirates legend and deserves a great big send off into retirement.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hopefully loads of Plymouth fans will travel up to Poole next month for Bjarnes farewell. He is a Pirates legend and deserves a great big send off into retirement.

Keep me informed Steve and I will get it put up on Eastbourne's social media pages

Our track doesn’t guarantee good racing anymore than any other track does. Occasionally we watch processional racing as do fans at all tracks. Weather, prep, rider preference etc. all factors.

But it can and does produce superb racing as do most other tracks.

Bias? Maybe. But I’ll continue to passionately dispute posts that claim the track can’t produce great racing.

Good racing at Plymouth needs guile and cahoonas, those without both or either can often blame the track… Riders blaming the track when they should be looking closer to home, isn’t something unique to the coliseum. 

Last night at Poole, I can’t recall a pass after bend 3 lap 1. Not the tracks fault, more to to with the Gladiators not looking capable of passing wind let alone an opponent. 

I’ve watched truly tedious meetings at Somerset, but on the right night with the right riders the racing could be thrilling.

On the payroll? Certainly not. But I do feel a loyalty to the club and the promotion to defend their corner when I see them unfairly criticised. 

In the current British Speedway environment I think a phenomenal job has been done by Mark and the team down here. We’ve seen some fantastic meetings on a lovely little track in a well equipped atmospheric stadium. There’s a true buzz about speedway and crowd numbers are on the up…. That’s almost as unique as the track.

I continue to be dumbfounded every time I log on and see negative posts aimed at the club and it’s facilities. Get behind Speedway and one of it’s good news stories.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Funny how Bjarne’s form has plummeted in recent weeks!!!

I agree, I have spent this season sat in the NHS stand close to the starting gate & had been highly impressed by Bjarne's gating ability, so consistent & in a different class to everyone else.

He must have lost his trapping gloves or more likely that special engine has gone bang or been serviced never to be the same again. 

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Agree the majority of fans are friendly there. As you say some are blind to the track shape and the “racing” it provides. Four riders close together might be exciting to some but often a junior can lead a race and much more experienced riders can bust a gut and get nowhere. The track is far too narrow, which makes most heats a procession. 

When Poole rode there earlier this season there was one pass of note in 15 heats, when Schlein litterally forced himself under Bowtell off the last bend, causing Bowtell to throw a wobbly after the heat. Perhaps they could move the back straight back ten metres to widen the track. It would mean a more circular track, but it would certainly improve the spectacle.

Steve Plymouth will never give the racing I have been accustomed too @ Somerset (RIP) but you as a Poole fan I can think of three words: POT, KETTLE & BLACK.   Let us agree we are lucky we have a speedway track we can support & that neither are like Somerset or Belle Vue!  

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Steve Plymouth will never give the racing I have been accustomed too @ Somerset (RIP) but you as a Poole fan I can think of three words: POT, KETTLE & BLACK.   Let us agree we are lucky we have a speedway track we can support & that neither are like Somerset or Belle Vue!  

Not to go off topic but as racing goes, I've found Peterborough to be absolutely brilliant for racing on the few occasions I've been there. I recall a Premier League fours there a few years back and it was one brilliant race meeting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I agree, I have spent this season sat in the NHS stand close to the starting gate & had been highly impressed by Bjarne's gating ability, so consistent & in a different class to everyone else.

He must have lost his trapping gloves or more likely that special engine has gone bang or been serviced never to be the same again. 

Just maybe is going to have another season.:P

• Like 1