British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

Hi all, 

Just been flicking through on what's been said about this season. To cut a long story short, I was a regular down at the 'St Boniface Arena' during the Mike Bowden days when the club first stepped into the second tier. I've been away from the sport for nearly 8 years before returning this season. I cannot praise Mark Phillips and his team enough for what they've done to the club. Thoroughly enjoyed being back down at the track this year. Every meeting I've been to has been tight and competitive. 

I think in an ideal world, we'd all like every track to be perfect and a little bit bigger but there's something quite special about the unique nature of the track down here in Plymouth. Life would be boring if it was the same everywhere surely? No one is right or wrong with their views, that's what is great about sport with everyone allowed a different outlook on things. I think the way the side was built this season, baring in mind at short notice was with one thing in mind, get people through the gates and build up a strong fan base to really kick on next season... that's been successful I think it's fair to say. Crowds have grown every week and in regards to local, good quality sporting action, I'd say its pushing the City's rugby side now to follow behind Plymouth Argyle in regards to somewhere to be to watch sport for the week.

I can't wait for next season, I've enjoyed this year so much I'd say there's a fair chance I'll become a season ticket holder for the first time next season. It would seem that Lawson is in the door already with all signs suggesting Ben Barker will return to the city for 2022. I'd like to see Bowtell and Ruml retained. Dillon has improved and progressed every week and Alfie's talent is clear for all to see. A third heat leader is required I'd say and with everything that's gone on down here this year and the ambitious nature of the promotion and sponsors, I'd suggest you'd struggle to find a rider turning down the chance to wear the Gladiators uniform next year.

Apologies for the long nature of my post :D

• Like 3

See Lawson confirmed for king's Lynn tonight. How that going to work if there's league reconstruction and already confirmed for Plymouth?

3 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

See Lawson confirmed for king's Lynn tonight. How that going to work if there's league reconstruction and already confirmed for Plymouth?

Would tell me there is no reconstruction happening and going to have same old double up and down rubbish 

• Like 5

Just now, phillwhitewasmad said:

Would tell me there is no reconstruction happening and going to have same old double up and down rubbish 

Looks that way. Clearly broken so we won't fix it. Magic

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Looks that way. Clearly broken so we won't fix it. Magic

Maybe 1league but your allowed to ride for 2 teams :lol: nothing would surprise me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Not to go off topic but as racing goes, I've found Peterborough to be absolutely brilliant for racing on the few occasions I've been there. I recall a Premier League fours there a few years back and it was one brilliant race meeting.

The EoES is as good as anywhere on its day.

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

You have to think that it works for both Promoters and Riders..

No flights or hotels to pay for..

No having to plan fixtures around other non UK leagues, even for rescheduled meetings..

And loads of potential earnings for the riders, who could in theory ride seven times a week over here..

All the heat leaders who DU must have done well for themselves this year, especially riding against so many RS's every meeting (both team mates and opponents)..

Cant see either Promoters or Riders wanting too much change..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lewy said:

Maybe 1league but your allowed to ride for 2 teams :lol: nothing would surprise me!

I thought your Team Manager Garry May said in interview that it wouldn't be one league!

15 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The EoES is as good as anywhere on its day.

As good if not better than Belle Vue in my opinion 

21 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I thought your Team Manager Garry May said in interview that it wouldn't be one league!

Woosh,:rofl:

43 minutes ago, lewy said:

Woosh,:rofl:

Ah didn't realise it was a tongue-in-cheek comment? So difficult with some of yours. Never sure if you are serious or deluded or seriously deluded.......?!:t:

Edited by Skidder1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mikebv said:

You have to think that it works for both Promoters and Riders..

No flights or hotels to pay for..

No having to plan fixtures around other non UK leagues, even for rescheduled meetings..

And loads of potential earnings for the riders, who could in theory ride seven times a week over here..

All the heat leaders who DU must have done well for themselves this year, especially riding against so many RS's every meeting (both team mates and opponents)..

Cant see either Promoters or Riders wanting too much change..

If DU continues then it must be used as a cost saving and not, as Eastbourne found out, a blank cheque for riders.

• Like 1

Correct paying RETAINERS. at this level is financial madness and i can’t prove it but I believe that my team had two riders on. It, no guessing who, ridiculous we are not Poland we are the middle tier of British speedway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Correct paying RETAINERS. at this level is financial madness and i can’t prove it but I believe that my team had two riders on. It, no guessing who, ridiculous we are not Poland we are the middle tier of British speedway.

I think Plymouth can be excused if they paid retainers to any rider, given that they weren't accepted into the Championship til the last minute and had to put together a relatively competitive 1-7.  The Promotion seem very pleased with how things have gone (presumably including finance) so as long as it worked for them...............

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I think Plymouth can be excused if they paid retainers to any rider, given that they weren't accepted into the Championship til the last minute and had to put together a relatively competitive 1-7.  The Promotion seem very pleased with how things have gone (presumably including finance) so as long as it worked for them...............

I think next season Plymouth will be stronger and alot less expensive, onwards and upwards :t:

• Like 3