British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

First meeting-how many riders still alive.

Monday June 17th  1968   Reading Racers V Nelson Admirals

Racers Spittles,  Wallace, Poyser, Champion, Pratt(Phil), Weichlbauer and Davies

Nelson Powell, Shearer, Peterson, Birtwell, Schofield(Dave) don`t know the other riders.

Pretty sure Ted Spittles, John Poyser and Joe Weichlbauer are no longer with us.

Edited by racers and royals

Mine was Sheffield v Hull 15 August 1974

Sheffield - 5 of the 7 are still with us - Bob Valentine, Reg Wilson, Doug Wyer, Craig Pendlebury and Rod Haynes. Bob Paulson and Arnie Haley have passed away.

Hull - I think all 7 are still alive - Jim McMillan, Bobby Beaton, Tommy Roper, John Harrhy (guest), Robbie Gardner, Mitch Graham and Tom Owen

12 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Monday June 17th Reading Racers V Nelson Admirals

Racers Spittles,  Wallace, Poyser, Champion, Pratt(Phil), Weichlbauer and Davies

Nelson Powell, Shearer, Peterson, Birtwell, Schofield(Dave) don`t know the other riders.

Pretty sure Ted Spittles, John Poyser and Joe Weichlbauer are no longer with us.

Full meeting details on Speedway Researcher site

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/1968record.pdf

Swindon v ipswich 1974.

Only Bernie Leigh has passed from the home team.

For Ipswich, just Billy Sanders is no longer with us.

Norbold mentions Leo McAuliffe still being around. Sadly, he passed away in 2018.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

Another piece of info I was not aware of. Leo McAuliffe (RIP) a World Finalist, 1963 maybe-I think he was from Wales right?

4 hours ago, frigbo said:

Norbold mentions Leo McAuliffe still being around. Sadly, he passed away in 2018.

Thanks for the update frigbo, although it is very sad news.

Cradley v Newport September 1968.

Heathens - Graham Coombes, Chris Julian have passed away. Bob Andrews, Roy Trigg, Ken Wakefield, Alan Totney and Archie Wilkinson still with us afaik

Wasps - Jimmy Gooch (rider replacement that evening), Cyril Francis, Bob Hughes and Alby Golden have passed Norman Strachan, Jon Erskine and Tommy Sweetman (guest) still around. 

Yarmouth v Norwich 'B' in 1961.

Yarmouth - Johnny Fitzpatrick, Roy Trigg, Ivor Brown, Geoff Pymer, Ken Last, Ron Bagley, Jim Chalkley.

Norwich - Clive Featherby, Peter Atkins, John Debbage, Terry Betts, Harry Edwards, Cyril Crane, Trevor Hedge.

As far as I know Roy Trigg, Terry Betts and Trevor Hedge are still with us, but sadly Ivor Brown, Geoff Pymer, Ron Bagley, Clive Featherby and Harry Edwards have all passed away.

Blimey when did Clive Featherby pass away- I thought he was still with us.

Bristol v New Cross National Trophy 19/8/49.  Bristol Chris Boss, Eric Salmon, Mike Beddoe, Roger Wise, Billy Hole, Jack Mountford, Dick Bradley , Johnny Hole.  Dick Bradley is the sole survivor.  New Cross  Bert Roger, Bill Longley Frank Lawrence , Jeff Lloyd, Ray Moore, Cyril Roger, Ray Ellis , Don Gray. The only possible  survivors from New Cross woul be Ellis and Gray but they would be 93 and 99 respectively. perhaps norbold could help.

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Blimey when did Clive Featherby pass away- I thought he was still with us.

August 2019 in Australia.

16 hours ago, Knowle said:

Bristol v New Cross National Trophy 19/8/49.  Bristol Chris Boss, Eric Salmon, Mike Beddoe, Roger Wise, Billy Hole, Jack Mountford, Dick Bradley , Johnny Hole.  Dick Bradley is the sole survivor.  New Cross  Bert Roger, Bill Longley Frank Lawrence , Jeff Lloyd, Ray Moore, Cyril Roger, Ray Ellis , Don Gray. The only possible  survivors from New Cross woul be Ellis and Gray but they would be 93 and 99 respectively. perhaps norbold could help.

I'm fairly sure Don Gray is no longer with us. I'm afraid I have no idea about Ray Ellis.

Poole v Belle Vue 31-5-78

Poole: 
Malcolm Simmons
Danny Kennedy
Christer Sjosten
Martin Yeates
Neil Middleditch
Mike Curoso
Kelvin Mullarkey

Only 2/7 are still alive - Yeatesy and Middlo. For the era, that's surprisingly few.

Belle Vue:
Alan Wilkinson
Chris Turner
Peter Collins
Chris Morton
Les Collins
Jim Brett
Robert Maxfield

6/7 are still alive - only Wilky has passed away

Edited by Sotonian
  • Like 1

No idea really

I think at least one of the earliest meetings, possibly the first was definitely at Plough Lane and Olle Nygren was a Don and I think he is still with us......which is good