British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

First meeting-how many riders still alive.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Recall reading that he was instrumental in Ipswich winning at Sheffield in 1972 when some members of the "Tigers" team were making a nuisance of themselves and Olle decided to get tough with them.

Again from memory Olle had an easy style that took up a lot of track but as hard as nails when he wanted to be. Regarding the Rick France incident, I was stood by the stock car fence on the third bend looking directly down the straight watching these two blokes genuinely kicking hell out of each other. I think, though my memory may be wrong here, the other Sheffield rider (Reg Wilson?) had been excluded after a fall following a robust challenge from Olle, he then carried out something similar to France in the re-run which lead to the kung-fu, both then fell, France was excluded giving the Witches a 5-0! Olle would have been around 44 years old at the time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shrub said:

Again from memory Olle had an easy style that took up a lot of track but as hard as nails when he wanted to be. Regarding the Rick France incident, I was stood by the stock car fence on the third bend looking directly down the straight watching these two blokes genuinely kicking hell out of each other. I think, though my memory may be wrong here, the other Sheffield rider (Reg Wilson?) had been excluded after a fall following a robust challenge from Olle, he then carried out something similar to France in the re-run which lead to the kung-fu, both then fell, France was excluded giving the Witches a 5-0! Olle would have been around 44 years old at the time!

Something that John Berry used to refer to whereby he made it very difficult for opponents attempting to pass seemingly covering both the white line and fence!

Was just about to post this topic, then realised I had already done so about a year ago-senior moment. Anyway I called it up and enjoyed re- reading the memories of other posts on the subject. Time seems to pass ever more quickly these days but I still remember stuff from the sixties as clear as yesterday.

My first meeting was Easter 1960 at Rye House, that’s 62 years ago. I reckon one of our historians could find out how many of the competing riders are still with us. I haven’t a clue I’m sorry to say.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:46 PM, frigbo said:

Swindon v ipswich 1974.

Only Bernie Leigh has passed from the home team.

For Ipswich, just Billy Sanders is no longer with us.

Norbold mentions Leo McAuliffe still being around. Sadly, he passed away in 2018.

Olle Nygren has also now sadly passed away from the Ipswich team.

My first speedway meeting was at New Cross in April 1946. Sadly no riders from that meeting are still with us. RIP.

Edited by Guest

Not sure what my first meeting was, but fairly sure Olle was riding for the Dons, as i still have his rosette . Great servant to British speedway

From my first meeting at New Cross in 1959, I think we have two survivors.....Knutsson and Bob Andrews.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:18 AM, Guest compost said:

Isn't Billy Bales (Norwich) still alive (he is according to wikipedia) ? He rode in the meeting.

Yes. I met up with him in October at the Norwich WSRA Lunch.

I am so glad Billy is still with us- I recall him riding for Sheffield in 1965 (I think)

My first meeting was Liverpool v Sheffield in 1960 as seen here;

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/liverpool1960.pdf

Maybe someone might know if any of the riders are still with us.

As I was only 6 when I went to that meeting I can't remember anything about it. The first meeting I can remember anything about was this one at Belle Vue in 1967;

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/bellevue1967.pdf

Certainly Tommy Roper, Eric Broadbelt and Ove Fundin from the Aces side are still with us. Anyone know about any of the Wasps?

4 hours ago, Chadster said:

My first meeting was Liverpool v Sheffield in 1960 as seen here;

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/liverpool1960.pdf

Maybe someone might know if any of the riders are still with us.

As I was only 6 when I went to that meeting I can't remember anything about it. The first meeting I can remember anything about was this one at Belle Vue in 1967;

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/bellevue1967.pdf

Certainly Tommy Roper, Eric Broadbelt and Ove Fundin from the Aces side are still with us. Anyone know about any of the Wasps?

Pretty sure Jon Erskine and John Bishop are still about. Not sure about Roger White.

Liverpool v. Sheffield Reg Fearman is certainly still with us-we exchange texts every couple of weeks. Also last I heard Pete Kelly is still around in NZ I think

Re Belle Vue v. Newport in July- Jon Erskine and john Bishop are alive, not sure re Roger White (I don't recall the latter-may have been a second halfer drafted in is my guess) Hope this helps

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2021 at 12:08 PM, norbold said:

Mine was back in May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich.

I think the only four still alive are three Rangers, Reg Luckhurst, Tommy Sweetman and Leo McAuliffe and one Star, the greatest of them all, Ove Fundin.

We didn’t stop to see the second half, but one of those due to ride was Ron Johnson and I certainly know for a fact he is no longer alive!

I may be wrong but I think Barry Briggs would have been in that New Cross team and Barry at 87 is still with us.