Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

First meeting-how many riders still alive.

Recommended Posts

 I reckon some of us posters are posting  less-maybe old age (say it ain't so). Here's one-we all recall our first meeting, how many of those riders are still with us?

 Here's mine- Newport  13.6.1964 versus Long Eaton. Newport riders:- Alby Golden (RIP), Jon Erskine, Dick Bradley, Geoff Penniket, Peter Vandenberg (RIP), Vic White, Ray Harris (RIP). Thus 4 Wasp riders are still with us- the grand-daddy is Dick Bradley at 96 and the second oldest World finalist still with us -a fine gent!!

 Re the visitors- Ken Adams (RIP), John Mills (RIP), Ray Wilson, Norman Storer, Ron Sharp (RIP), Howard Cole -then known as Kid Bodie, K.Vale (RIP)-thus 3 Archers are still with us.

Second Halfers not already mentioned:- Alan Jones, Fred Powell, Bob Hughes Goog Allan. I know Bob Hughes is still with us-not sure about the other three-anyone know (we should never forget the second halfers- I always enjoyed the second halves.

Would be interested to see any other comments in this thread-hope you kept your programs.!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall posting elsewhere how Oxford's starting lineup in my first season (1972) five are no longer with us. My first ever match was at Cowley when Coventry were the early season visitors. "Rebels" who have died are Garry Middleton, Oyvind S.Berg, Colin Gooddy, Ken McKinlay and Svein Kaasa (Rick Timmo and John Davis were the other two). Coventry riders who rode in that match who have since died include Nigel Boocock, Les Owen and Pete Bailey (Roger Hill, Tony Lomas, Jan Simensen and Rick France were the others).

As regards the second half looking thru' the programme I believe that all those that took part are still with us (Trevor Geer, Paul Gachet, Norman Strachan, Laurie Sims, Malcolm Ballard, Gordon Kennett, Bobby McNeil, Garry Cottham and Timmy Ballard) and exemplifies why the second halves at Cowley were so entertaining.

Edited by steve roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Cross Rangers v Ackney Awks 1963, dont know how many are still with us? Obviously Geoff Penniket is as Bobbath mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was back in May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich.

I think the only four still alive are three Rangers, Reg Luckhurst, Tommy Sweetman and Leo McAuliffe and one Star, the greatest of them all, Ove Fundin.

We didn’t stop to see the second half, but one of those due to ride was Ron Johnson and I certainly know for a fact he is no longer alive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was 28th June 1976 Reading vs Wimbledon.

I know Bernie Leigh is no longer with us (has Boley Proch passed on) otherwise as far as I know all the other main feature riders are still with us.  I know longer have the programme so don't recall the second halfers (possibly Ian Gledhill was one ?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, norbold said:

Mine was back in May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich.

 

I think the only four still alive are three Rangers, Reg Luckhurst, Tommy Sweetman and Leo McAuliffe and one Star, the greatest of them all, Ove Fundin.

We didn’t stop to see the second half, but one of those due to ride was Ron Johnson and I certainly know for a fact he is no longer alive!

 

Isn't Billy Bales (Norwich) still alive (he is according to wikipedia) ? He rode in the meeting.

Edited by compost
corrected typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

 I reckon some of us posters are posting  less-maybe old age (say it ain't so). Here's one-we all recall our first meeting, how many of those riders are still with us?

 Here's mine- Newport  13.6.1964 versus Long Eaton. Newport riders:- Alby Golden (RIP), Jon Erskine, Dick Bradley, Geoff Penniket, Peter Vandenberg (RIP), Vic White, Ray Harris (RIP). Thus 4 Wasp riders are still with us- the grand-daddy is Dick Bradley at 96 and the second oldest World finalist still with us -a fine gent!!

 Re the visitors- Ken Adams (RIP), John Mills (RIP), Ray Wilson, Norman Storer, Ron Sharp (RIP), Howard Cole -then known as Kid Bodie, K.Vale (RIP)-thus 3 Archers are still with us.

Second Halfers not already mentioned:- Alan Jones, Fred Powell, Bob Hughes Goog Allan. I know Bob Hughes is still with us-not sure about the other three-anyone know (we should never forget the second halfers- I always enjoyed the second halves.

Would be interested to see any other comments in this thread-hope you kept your programs.!!!

Bob Hughes passed away feb 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, norbold said:

Mine was back in May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich.

 

I think the only four still alive are three Rangers, Reg Luckhurst, Tommy Sweetman and Leo McAuliffe and one Star, the greatest of them all, Ove Fundin.

We didn’t stop to see the second half, but one of those due to ride was Ron Johnson and I certainly know for a fact he is no longer alive!

 

Was Reg in the 63 Rangers team? Speak to him on Facebook messenger.

Edited by auntie doris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No he wasn't at SE14 in 1963, I just asked him on FB. Was a Southampton Saint. Great photo of GB team of Briggs, Mauger, Moore, Boococks, Wilson, Hedge and Reg.

Edited by auntie doris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, compost said:

Isn't Billy Bales (Nowrich) still alive (he is according to wikipedia) ? He rode in the meeting.

Sorry, yes, you're right. He is still with us as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, compost said:

Mine was 28th June 1976 Reading vs Wimbledon.

I know Bernie Leigh is no longer with us (has Boley Proch passed on) otherwise as far as I know all the other main feature riders are still with us.  I know longer have the programme so don't recall the second halfers (possibly Ian Gledhill was one ?)

Boley has indeed passed on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first meeting was at Rye Hose in 1960 so I can’t remember most of the riders competing. I remember Clive Hitch, Geoff Mudge, Tommy Sweetman and Mike Broadbank. How many of the riders from 1960 are still with us I wonder. Not many probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Boley has indeed passed on.

 

Thanks arnieg thought he had but couldn't remember but 8 years ago !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was 24th April 1968 Poole v Coatbridge,  6 of Poole team still with us ,mudge,laessing,smith,Andrew,cribb,Bungay.odd Fossengen is the only rider that has passed(this was his debut),Coatbridge eide,Doug templeton,Hunter and persson have left us,leaving Bert Harkins,Alec Hughson and Brian Collins still with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly to Steve Roberts, I recall your post Steve, that was what gave me the idea,  but  I forgot who posted it, it was under another thread heading I think-anyway apologies from me for not mentioning it. Secondly Tracy Bird, thanks for bringing me up to date re Bob Hughes, though naturally sorry to learn he passed. BTW is Tim Bungay still with us-I thought he was gone, signed for Newport in 1967 but almost immediately had a bad injury. Hope he is with us-anyone know anything about Tim these days.

 Also enjoyed reading the responses , brought back some memorable names to me, thanks everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy