British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedy bill

to small

I AM BACK cant see the point of a six team league. would have liked a north and south league mixture of all premiership and championship teams .With a bit of rider switching to

balance the teams  it would save on travel expenses and give fans more local derbies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, speedy bill said:

I AM BACK cant see the point of a six team league. would have liked a north and south league mixture of all premiership and championship teams .With a bit of rider switching to

balance the teams  it would save on travel expenses and give fans more local derbies.

Smack on 100% - Variety is the spice of life. 

1 hour ago, speedy bill said:

When are you going to realise that there aren’t enough riders for one big league?

• Like 3

there would be enough riders but if not only allow riders with a six point or lower to double up ,but only riders from north league allowed to double up in south league and visa versa

Edited by speedy bill

10 minutes ago, speedy bill said:

there would be enough riders but if not only allow riders with a six point or lower to double up ,but only riders from north league allowed to double up in south league and visa versa

And what happens if the Northern League team that finishes top has a double up rider in their team that’s included in the Southern League team that finishes top?

In my first full season in 1964,

the teams were

Belle Vue

Wimbledon

Oxford

Swindon

Coventry

West Ham

and Norwich 

This was called the National league with a larger Provincial league which was a black league.

If the teams are roughly equal then a small league can work fine

This is just as true now.

I cannot remember exactly at what point in 1964.. But the BSPA declared that any National league club that allowed Provincial league riders to ride on their track would be blacked by the BSPA.

Belle Vue were due to hold the Provincial League riders championship in September... they stuck to their guns and were blacked for 1965.

Over the winter the leagues actually combined to form the British league and British Speedway started to raise its profile which eventually had over 30 teams in British Speedway

Actually BV rode two matches toward the end of that season on Provincial League tracks, one was Sheffield. Also Ronnie Genz of Oxford rode a league match for Exeter under the name of Reg Neal. Neither were punished and it became obvious that the two leagues would have to amalgamate.