British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

French league 2021 fixtures

Barry Bishop confirms that the Isle of Wight have staged preliminary talks with the French League!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Barry Bishop confirms that the Isle of Wight have staged preliminary talks with the French League!

Why not?

If logistics allow it to happen, why not give it a go...

I am sure if nothing else the promotion of every meeting would leave no one on the island in any doubt that the IOW were in 'European competition', which should generate plenty of curious interest...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Surely a very risky undertaking at the moment ? France heading for a third wave and stricter measures again

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56450880

In terms of speedway, does that really matter though? It’s clear that no French fans would travel to IOW and from an IOW perspective it didn’t matter if their meeting in France has fans or not. It would only be the riders and management travelling to France and they’re likely to need vaccines or negative swabs anyway, the same as anyone else travelling for business or leisure this summer. 

3 hours ago, Islander15 said:

In terms of speedway, does that really matter though? It’s clear that no French fans would travel to IOW and from an IOW perspective it didn’t matter if their meeting in France has fans or not. It would only be the riders and management travelling to France and they’re likely to need vaccines or negative swabs anyway, the same as anyone else travelling for business or leisure this summer. 

Well I was more thinking of quarantine rules etc, which currently mean some football matches have to be played in other countries. Is it likely that all speedway riders will be vaccinated or get a vaccine passport by May ? Same for the French teams that come to the UK. As I say, at this moment in time it all looks very risky planning when measures could come in overnight which change things radically. Hard enough being certain about national sport, without the complexities of international......saying that though, in normal times I do like the idea

Edited by iris123

9 hours ago, iris123 said:

Well I was more thinking of quarantine rules etc, which currently mean some football matches have to be played in other countries. Is it likely that all speedway riders will be vaccinated or get a vaccine passport by May ? Same for the French teams that come to the UK. As I say, at this moment in time it all looks very risky planning when measures could come in overnight which change things radically. Hard enough being certain about national sport, without the complexities of international......saying that though, in normal times I do like the idea

The fixtures could easily be run later in the summer when quarantine is no longer a problem. Even if not vaccinated, travel is likely with a negative swab but it unfortunately adds to the expenses. 

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

The fixtures could easily be run later in the summer when quarantine is no longer a problem. Even if not vaccinated, travel is likely with a negative swab but it unfortunately adds to the expenses. 

Season ends in April in France by the looks of the fixtures.

8 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

No rearranged to start in May and finish in October

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

It does usually, but rearranged due to Covid. 

• Thanks 1

It Seems clear that Barry Bishop is positive & has the desire for speedway to continue on the IoW.

I'm sure he is aware of the current issues, but he is looking to start in a league that may start in May/June.

A lot can & will change between then & now.

Good luck to him & I hope it can prove successful

• Like 2

I’ve not noticed this before but all 4 French teams are within a 20 miles radius of each other! So how do they do for crowds as this is a really small catchment area for each team? Or is it basically that all fans attend every meeting and there’s not quite an intense rivalry between teams, it’s more about watching speedway?

All fans attend every meetings. The crowds aren’t massive but hopefully being starved of racing will encourage them to venture out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

I’ve not noticed this before but all 4 French teams are within a 20 miles radius of each other! So how do they do for crowds as this is a really small catchment area for each team? Or is it basically that all fans attend every meeting and there’s not quite an intense rivalry between teams, it’s more about watching speedway?

Although I've not seen Speedway in France, I've visited all the tracks when watching Grasstrack. Morizes, LaReole and Marmande are all on the infields of Grasstracks, Lamothe-Landerron is purpose built for Speedway, all around the Bordeaux area. I don't know the crowd levels for Speedway, but it's a hotbed for Grasstrack with large crowds. The Marmande meeting on the eve of Bastille Day is one of my favourite Track Racing meetings and compares with Cardiff and any Speedway Grand Prix I've been to for entertainment and atmosphere. Don't be put off by the Grasstrack bit, the Stadiums are better than many Speedway tracks in this country

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rich said:

Although I've not seen Speedway in France, I've visited all the tracks when watching Grasstrack. Morizes, LaReole and Marmande are all on the infields of Grasstracks, Lamothe-Landerron is purpose built for Speedway, all around the Bordeaux area. I don't know the crowd levels for Speedway, but it's a hotbed for Grasstrack with large crowds. The Marmande meeting on the eve of Bastille Day is one of my favourite Track Racing meetings and compares with Cardiff and any Speedway Grand Prix I've been to for entertainment and atmosphere. Don't be put off by the Grasstrack bit, the Stadiums are better than many Speedway tracks in this country

In the last decade we’ve lost a few tracks here (St Colomb de Lauzan, Artigues de lussac, St Denis de pile) the grasstrack scene is still big here but clubs are moving more towards speedway. 

there’s also a speedway track / club at Macon near Lyon

• Like 1