British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mimmo

RIP Olle Nygren

I live in Ipswich and am embarrassed to say, I didn't know he lived here. RIP Mr Nygren

8 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I live in Ipswich and am embarrassed to say, I didn't know he lived here. RIP Mr Nygren

I thought he lived in Taverham Norwich

Just now, wealdstone said:

Wiki says he died in Ipswich, so maybe Ipswich hospital. However, the East Anglian Daily Times, has a picture of Olle walking along Felixstowe seafront (near Ipswich), so I don't know? :unsure:  

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Wiki says he died in Ipswich, so maybe Ipswich hospital. However, the East Anglian Daily Times, has a picture of Olle walking along Felixstowe seafront (near Ipswich), so I don't know? :unsure:  

I think he lived in Felixstowe?

• Like 3

My first speedway hero at Wimbledon in 1968. I also saw him ride regularly at West Ham for a couple of seasons. RIP Olle.

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

He used to live in Springfield Road in Taverham before moving to Felixtowe many years ago.

• Like 1

Very sad news. My first experience of Speedway was 1963, as I lived within walking distance of the Firs stadium in Norwich. Olle was in the team along with my hero Ove Fundin, and they made a potent spearhead. I remember an incident in 1965 after the stadium had closed, when my brother and I heard speedway bikes in the distance from our front garden. Totally puzzled as to why we were hearing this from  the stadium, we cycled over to the Firs, to find Olle along with some young Swedish riders, practicing on the track. I have no idea if he was supposed to be there, as I thought the stadium was locked up ready for demolition, but as I was only 15 I wasn't going to ask!  We stayed until they had finished, then had a quick cycle round the track before heading for home. I would like to send all his family and friends my condolences, he will be missed.  R.I.P. Olle.

• Like 2

A truly great life has come to an end!

I think Olle Nygren started riding in the late 40's and was still riding in the mid to late 70's. Also did road racing and scrambling and in the 50's especially if he'd of concentrated solely on speedway he wouldn't of been far of a World individual title.

He was a top rider for Norwich in the 1960's then I saw the now veteran Nygren signed by Ipswich to help with their move into the top flight in 1972. He was past his best and not very quick but could gate and would use his track craft to block faster riders from overtaking. He was well known for sticking out his leg to stop riders coming through.

A fracas with Coventrys Rick France one night then Olle getting on the mike to offer to meet a lout who I think chucked something at the parade truck are memories that come to mind in them early Division 1 days at Foxhall in the early 70's!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

In 2006 Olle and Ove Fundin, along with other riders and a support crew, rode thousands of miles across Asia on motorcycles. I think Olle was 76 at the time!  Don't remember the exact details, but have vague memories of Olle having to return home after injury or sickness on the route? Maybe somebody else remembers more than me.  This web site is all I could find, but it shows a few photos from the trip plus the incrdible route they took. It was in Swedish, but I did a Google translation. I found if I clicked on the word "translating" it opened the page.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=https://www.swes.se/2006/07/trans-asia-expedition/&prev=search&pto=aue

Edited by Bunce
More information
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bunce said:

He used to live in Springfield Road in Taverham before moving to Felixtowe many years ago.

I was pretty sure he lived in Taverham at one time as he was just round the corner from me

Sad to hear of his passing, condolences to Linda. I went to many of his schools in the 90s progressing from his bikes to when I bought my own and progressed to STR and league riding - he used my photo for his promo leaflets. Great character, loved fried chicken, a drink or two and the odd swear word! Such a talented racer across many disciplines. 

• Like 1

Nygren and Fundin as the spearhead for Norwich in 1964 at Belle Vue was a great sight.

Olle spent many years running training schools at King’s Lynn.

My thoughts are with his family

• Like 2

Sad news indeed. 

RIP  Varg "Olle" 

My parents first met Olle at a New Cross supporters club meeting at Fred Mockford's cafe at Eynsford Kent.  One of the first Swedish riders to ride in England.  A real fiery young Swedish rider.

Lived life to the full and up until recently rode a huge touring motorcycle with his former Norwich team mate  Ove Fundin all over Europe.

• Like 2

• Like 3

Sad to hear the passing of Olle ,went to his training school in 1976 such a nice bloke and a good rider took the time to try and point us all there in the right direction . Watching him jump on the bike to show us how it was done riding on the white line then right up near the fence is something I'll never forget . Rip Olle 

• Like 1