British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
E I Addio

Ole Nygren

Sad news news today is the death of one of speedways  most colourful characters, Harald- Olaf Ingemar “Olle” Nygren aged 91.More than just a speedway rider Olle was a genuine all- round motor- cyclist, having competed also in grass track long track and road racing where he finished 20th in the 1956 Isle of riderMan TT.

A five times world finalist including a podium position Olle was really one of speedways great team men, with a fantastic rapport with the crowd, riding with his trade mark white boots and green scarf flowing behind him . 

The last time I saw Olle was at Lakeside about 4 or 5 years ago. He would have been about 85 years old then, but hadn’t changed a bit . Still had plenty to say for himself voicing opinions about the modern sport being ruined by uncontrollable modern machinery and tuners. He  said in his days like himself , Mauger, Briggs and Fundin were doing about 100 meetings a year and reckoned to fall off maybe once or twice whereas with modern bikes they are lucky to get through  a couple meetings without falling off and that’s ruining the racing for spectators. He was right, of course.

Always a joy to watch , another of speedways great characters has gone.  We won’t see the like of him again. Thank you Olle

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 5

Some of my earliest memories in life are of Olle "white boots" at Plough Lane.

Really sad...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Sad news news today is the death of one of speedways  most colourful characters, Harald- Olaf Ingemar “Olle” Nygren aged 91.More than just a speedway rider Olle was a genuine all- round motor- cyclist, having competed also in grass track long track and road racing where he finished 20th in the 1956 Isle of riderMan TT.

A five times world finalist including a podium position Olle was really one of speedways great team men, with a fantastic rapport with the crowd, riding with his trade mark white boots and green scarf flowing behind him . 

The last time I saw Olle was at Lakeside about 4 or 5 years ago. He would have been about 85 years old then, but hadn’t changed a bit . Still had plenty to say for himself voicing opinions about the modern sport being ruined by uncontrollable modern machinery and tuners. He  said in his days like himself , Mauger, Briggs and Fundin were doing about 100 meetings a year and reckoned to fall off maybe once or twice whereas with modern bikes they are lucky to get through  a couple meetings without falling off and that’s ruining the racing for spectators. He was right, of course.

Always a joy to watch , another of speedways great characters has gone.  We won’t see the like of him again. Thank you Olle

Not to mention ice speedway

• Like 1

First started going to watch the Dons when Olle was the top rider. Pity we can't watch the docu on him, that is on the stv link, or at least all I get is 'it is only available in Sweden'

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

First started going to watch the Dons when Olle was the top rider. Pity we can't watch the docu on him, that is on the stv link, or at least all I get is 'it is only available in Sweden'

Use a VPN?

10 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Use a VPN?

Sounds good, but I tried that before on something and it didn't work.