British Speedway Forum
Split

Handicap racing

I happened to see that in another section of this forum , handicap racing has been suggested to avoid the processional races that we sometimes see.  This was of course tried in National League racing back in 1963. The ‘Big Five’ (Fundin,  Knutson, Briggs, Moore and Craven) started off a 20 yard handicap with certain other heat leaders (How, McKinlay, Boocock etc.) starting off 10 yards and the second strings starting from scratch. I attended most of Wimbledon’s home meetings that year and recall that Gerald Jackson given a 20 yard start proved a difficult man to pass and there were other second strings who enjoyed similar success.  The experiment was abandoned after a revolt by the 20 yard men with Barry Briggs being the most vociferous. I think it very unlikely that reintroducing such a system would ever be seriously considered in the future but would be interested to hear what others think.

• Like 2

I assume the lack of responses to this topic indicate that the forum members who saw handicap racing back in 1963 regard it as a failed experiment that needs no further comment.

4 hours ago, Split said:

I assume the lack of responses to this topic indicate that the forum members who saw handicap racing back in 1963 regard it as a failed experiment that needs no further comment.

The expert opinion will arrive 3 days after the general responses.

I'll get my coat.

Handicap racing was before my time. Logically, better riders would be against it. Harder to score points, and earn money. Also, would who like to be in charge of setting the handicaps? Bound to upset some.

5 hours ago, Split said:

Tracks are too slick nowadays for Handicap racing.Riders won’t even go off 15 Mtrs for a tac sub ride these days.IMO

Edited by Fromafar