British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

2 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Ask the promoters “what?” Exactly? 

Your question...”why the need for a double header ?”

6 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Your question...”why the need for a double header ?”

Well the question has been asked. Let’s see if anybody associated with the promotion provides an answer. 

11 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

A double header saves insurance costs, stadium rental, meeting fees, referee fees, ambulance & first-aid costs, etc, etc.

Also, if (as you quote) you are paying £18 to watch the Lions and £16 to watch the Cubs, at the double-header you're saving £8 on admission, plus buying only one programme, paying one load of petrol, car parking, etc, etc.

You might feel that £26 for thirty races is too much, and that's your privilege.     But it's less that a quid a race..........

I understand leverage. But, Insurance is per fixture (not day) so too referees & medical cover. There is no saving on stadium rental due to cost of one annual lease. Car parking is free. Most of the match day staffing is voluntary so no savings on “no cost”.  
This particular fixture is hopefully an exception and needs to remain so as £52.00 for two people to see what they want to see - first team racing is too high. 

This is currently the only planned double header at Leicester unless there is a few rain offs then this decision may have to be reconsidered .

For the Berwick meeting it was not the Leicester club that wanted a double header they would have preferred a 6pm start just for the Lions as it allows Stewart more time to prepare the track especially if the sunshine holds out  and also for riders to get home from Berwick then wash & prepare bikes for Leicester some will only have 9 hours between getting home before having to leave again. In that time they need to sleep,eat and prepare bikes .

The dislike of double headers is the reason why the Edinburgh Championship fixture that got rained off last week was not added onto the Armadale NDL meeting last night which in logistical sense would have been better.

However on this occasion it is more of a needs must as Berwick made it clear that if they went in NDL they wanted as many double header meetings as possible to cut down their expenses for travelling and this was the only way that they could make it viable.

Edited by flagrag

8 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Ask the promoters “what?” Exactly? 

The question YOU raised - why the need for a double header in the first place?
Hardly any speedway last year, so not much monetary turnover for the promotors, hardly any profit, if any.  So, to give value for money to supporters, and to maximise profit from turnover, the Leicester promotor decided on a double header, not at double the price of a meeting, but, to maximise profit.  As Crescent Girl said a double header saves money in so many ways for the promotor, and gives value for money for the spectator - it’s a win-win situation, and potentially gives a club a life line during these difficult times which are neither promotors nor spectators doing. Come the time no speedway in Leicester the very same people moaning now will be moaning then.

Edited by OveFundinFan

6 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

The question YOU raised - why the need for a double header in the first place?
Hardly any speedway last year, so not much monetary turnover for the promotors, hardly any profit, if any.  So, to give value for money to supporters, and to maximise profit from turnover, the Leicester promotor decided on a double header, not at double the price of a meeting, but, to maximise profit.  As Crescent Girl said a double header saves money in so many ways for the promotor, and gives value for money for the spectator - it’s a win-win situation, and potentially gives a club a life line during these difficult times which are neither promotors nor spectators doing. Come the time no speedway in Leicester the very same people moaning now will be moaning then.

I would also suggest that running so many double headers is also down to a lack of confidence in their NDL offering to deliver profit if ran 'stand alone'....

And to be fair to those who say that they are not going, it is a risk on the part of the promoter...

Expecting to have someone pay £26 when they are not interested in 50% of what is on offer could be seen as a risky strategy..

On the other hand, to some, thirty races for twenty six quid will be seen as good value....

I suppose the proof of whether right or not will be in the outcome...

Will thirty heats of speedway for £26 appeal to enough punters to offset the missing fans who feel £26 to watch only the fifteen races they want to watch is too much...?

• Like 2

I don’t think there are many people who have the spare cash to spend £26 on a speedway meeting plus all the other costs involved, travel etc. A lot of people have been unable to work for a long period of time and funds are low. Also I don’t think it is the most attractive fixture. If you have the cash and you want to go . . .then enjoy. However, I think it is overpriced for most. 

• Like 1

The last time I went to a similar double header was a couple of years ago when they were riding CH in the 2nd meeting and it got cancelled because they were faffing around so much that the rain cloud that was heading to the stadium all afternoon finally deposited its contents on the track, that was the match that got me blocked from their Twitter account lol. From memory it was only £3 or £4 extra and as I'd never seen NDL racing before and it was CH I thought it was good value as a taster.

After that debacle I shall not be attending another double header, totally happy to pay £17 to watch the seniors, junior racing is just not my thing. I understand that for many who attend the cubs meetings this will be an attractive meeting. For me it's just too much of a marathon, no doubt the track will be dry and dusty after a few races and I can see this dragging on and on.

I also notice that the away fixtures at Berwick, Newcastle & Eastie are also double headers and I shall also be giving these a miss if the price is in the same region.

If the club can't afford to run the cubs as a stand alone outfit should they be doing so. Perhaps I'm wrong and they'll get a bumper crowd, I hope they do and as punters we'll all make our own individual choices.

• Like 1

Maybe they could put the NDL matches on first...?

It would clearly gauge the enthusiasm for it as if you want to watch it you will be there...

It would also mean those who didn't want to watch it could pay to get in after Heat 15 of the NDL match with the break to get everyone in giving time for the track staff to redo the surface...

I would also suggest the track wouldn't be allowed to become a dust bowl if the seniors rode the second meeting, and there would be every focus in getting all the heats completed which sometimes has appeared to be a secondary consideration when the 'junior meeting' is second on...

The NDL lads would also get a chance to race a circuit with shale still on it which could be a novelty for some..

Simon Wigg always said "you get served your starter before you have the main course in a restaurant" when he suggested having the "juniors" on first...

Let those who want "two courses" go and pay the "deal price" and let those happy with "one course" pay the normal admission cost...

• Like 2

What about those whose appetite is small and they just happy with starters, that is, some may want to just watch the NDL lads and go home satisfied.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

The last time I went to a similar double header was a couple of years ago when they were riding CH in the 2nd meeting and it got cancelled because they were faffing around so much that the rain cloud that was heading to the stadium all afternoon finally deposited its contents on the track, that was the match that got me blocked from their Twitter account lol. From memory it was only £3 or £4 extra and as I'd never seen NDL racing before and it was CH I thought it was good value as a taster.

After that debacle I shall not be attending another double header, totally happy to pay £17 to watch the seniors, junior racing is just not my thing. I understand that for many who attend the cubs meetings this will be an attractive meeting. For me it's just too much of a marathon, no doubt the track will be dry and dusty after a few races and I can see this dragging on and on.

I also notice that the away fixtures at Berwick, Newcastle & Eastie are also double headers and I shall also be giving these a miss if the price is in the same region.

If the club can't afford to run the cubs as a stand alone outfit should they be doing so. Perhaps I'm wrong and they'll get a bumper crowd, I hope they do and as punters we'll all make our own individual choices.

Newcastle will be £20 (£17 for concessions).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Newcastle will be £20 (£17 for concessions).

That's more like it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

What about those whose appetite is small and they just happy with starters, that is, some may want to just watch the NDL lads and go home satisfied.

Nothing wrong with that.Might also be in their price range.

Its certainly on the steeper end as stated above Newcastle is £20 for their double headers, Berwick & Eastbourne are after £24 which isn't such a jump from the CL admission price.

It does seem that Berwick have 'allegedly' had a lot of their demands met with regards to NL team building limits, fixtures to be run as double headers and so on.....

That said with the reduced outlays required for double headers i can only see them increasing in the future to keep the sport viable. In fact if 'ghost' teams were allowed to return i can even see track shares becoming the norm in some places.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:29 AM, mikebv said:

Maybe they could put the NDL matches on first...?

It would clearly gauge the enthusiasm for it as if you want to watch it you will be there...

It would also mean those who didn't want to watch it could pay to get in after Heat 15 of the NDL match with the break to get everyone in giving time for the track staff to redo the surface...

I would also suggest the track wouldn't be allowed to become a dust bowl if the seniors rode the second meeting, and there would be every focus in getting all the heats completed which sometimes has appeared to be a secondary consideration when the 'junior meeting' is second on...

The NDL lads would also get a chance to race a circuit with shale still on it which could be a novelty for some..

Simon Wigg always said "you get served your starter before you have the main course in a restaurant" when he suggested having the "juniors" on first...

Let those who want "two courses" go and pay the "deal price" and let those happy with "one course" pay the normal admission cost...

That makes a lot of sense!