British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

44 minutes ago, iainb said:

History, especially since the play offs were introduced, clearly shows there is zero loyalty in British Speedway. Clubs will drop a rider like a hat if their average doesn't fit.

Who, I wonder, was the last rider to actually achieve a genuine testimonial, for actually being with a club for 10 years? Believe it or not it used to happen, these days you get a testimonial if you manage to stay in the sport for 10 years let alone a single club!

Believe me, they will be dropped if their averages don't fit and Leicester are struggling to secure a play off place.

Luke Bowen would be my guess and as arnieg pointed out Josh Auty's is due. I don't disagree that loyalty from both sides is a rare thing these days but i just feel that Leicester have two riders on their books who could go on to 'Scott Nicholls levels' and would be barmy to let them slip away chasing a season that isn't even lost yet.

Sadly promising doesn't cut it, whilst you are right there are a huge number lost to the sport the best way to ensure that you keep a team place is to be too good to not be signed up.

9 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Sadly promising doesn't cut it, whilst you are right there are a huge number lost to the sport the best way to ensure that you keep a team place is to be too good to not be signed up.

There should be room in our sport for those that don't go on to show continuous improvement, or they drift away from the sport, like they have and you end up in a situation where you're relying on foreign riders and doubling up to make the sport viable.

There has been enough throughput of riders over the last 10 years to negate the need for doubling up and recruiting foreign riders. Not every rider is going to succeed, Josh Auty being a great example, showed great promise in his early years but stagnated and has been a great club man at Scunny, who to their credit have actually shown him some loyalty. He is the exception rather than the rule though

On 6/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, Lionspride said:

So its quite clear changes are needed at Leicester if we want to compete for the play offs .

Maybe an unpopular opinion but Dan & Joe have not been the same this season ,

If we look at making 2 changes (Bates & Proctor) then do we go with someone like Krystian Pieszczek & then a 5 point rider at no 2 like Young Scandinavian with room for improvement?

There are zero issues with the twins - both have increased their averages as heat leaders in NDL (second stringers in 2019) and this is their first year in the championship where they are outscoring their allocated average to such an extent that if (say)the other 5 riders improved by the same percentage  the Lions would be scoring close to 50 points every meeting.

At the moment Bates and proctor are not riding as expected and clearly from comments made by the management and NM it is something that all concerned are aware of. However, first things first and  give the riders a chance to get back into the groove after a long layoff from racing and deliver what is expected of them, especially at home. making any changes after three meetings (two away) is way too soon whilst three home meetings would be a better base to make longer term judgments if needed.  

• Like 3

Interesting comments from Mr Dickson in the Edinburgh match preview article on the website. I wonder if he is looking at any Birmingham riders?

7 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

Interesting comments from Mr Dickson in the Edinburgh match preview article on the website. I wonder if he is looking at any Birmingham riders?

Birmingham has only been postponed for three weeks, not closed.

I know, but I think it's likely existing restrictions will be extended and can you deny riders the opportunity to earn a living?

I think that Proctor and Bates have both had employment from the Bates family businesses as key workers in Sewage and Waste Water. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but if they are still engaged as key workers, could that be a factor in their struggling a bit, so far?

In the case of the Thompsons, surely it is better a case of "steady as it goes" at present and assess them fairly at end of the season?

• Like 1

Like I stated before season started  Top5 lack consistency.Dickson won’t be a happy bunny.!!

I have looked at what the riders have achievied this season Morris 10.00, Douglas 9.25, Howarth 8.25, Proctor 3.50, Joe 3.50, Dan 3.25, Bates 2.75.

Five of the team have increased their averages and two riders have dropped almost seven points between them.

So what should "the special one" do next....

• Like 1

Are the rising star reserve protected from go king into the main body of the team?

Just thinking at this rate, Leon Flint will be No1 for Berwick. 

21 minutes ago, Honey Monster said:

Are the rising star reserve protected from go king into the main body of the team?

Its worse than that ,it could be Dany Gappmier.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

I have looked at what the riders have achievied this season Morris 10.00, Douglas 9.25, Howarth 8.25, Proctor 3.50, Joe 3.50, Dan 3.25, Bates 2.75.

Five of the team have increased their averages and two riders have dropped almost seven points between them.

So what should "the special one" do next....

Tonight will be a crucial match for some of the Lions riders, It’s time to show what they can do otherwise the Special one will need to be having a delicate discussion with the Bates family 

To come close to honours this year there needs to be two changes based on current form.

That should enable another big hitter to come in. 

A very strong top 4 plus the improving twins and one other...but who...and how..

Would Adam Ellis and Connor Bailey fit for Proctor and Bates?...purely hyperthetical of course.

4 hours ago, Honey Monster said:

No.  They would go into the main body if their average meant they were 1-5 in the averages.  The "killer" is though, if they have to be replaced with a guest, they can only be replaced by another Rising Star on or below their starting *number, is how I believe it works.

9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

No.  They would go into the main body if their average meant they were 1-5 in the averages.  The "killer" is though, if they have to be replaced with a guest, they can only be replaced by another Rising Star on or below their starting *number, is how I believe it works.

Or RR, which would be the likely replacement in the majority of cases.

• Thanks 1